Mar 25, 2013, 6:48 PM EDT
The clock said 19:31 when the goal went in during the third period, taking ND hockey out of a tie score with Michigan. As the third period progressed, the prevailing thought was “just hold on.” If we could run out the clock, then the Mason Cup would be ours. But the Irish had other plans, and as play was getting intense, and the clock was almost to the 1:00 mark, Michigan looked to pull their goaltender for a sixth attacker. But he got caught in no-man’s land trying to get off the ice just as Jeff Costello stole the puck at center and raced into the Wolverine zone. Before Michigan’s goalie could get back in the cage, Costello snapped a shot into the empty goal for his 11th of the season, sealing the 3-1 victory and a CCHA championship.
And that was the game. The final CCHA Championship ever belonged to the Fighting Irish. Just as the Notre Dame women’s basketball team won the last BIG EAST Championship it would ever play in, this game carried with it the same sense of finality, and how sweet it was to watch the team pile onto the ice.
This was not ND Hockey’s first championship. The Irish have two Mason Cups with their name on it (2007 and 2009), both coming off wins against archrival Michigan. But this is the last time we will battle in the CCHA Conference, and that makes this win extra special.
If you missed any of the action, here’s everything you need, courtesy of Fighting Irish Digital Media.
Now it’s onto the NCAA Tournament. With this win, the Irish were given a #1 seed in the Midwest Regional, playing St. Cloud State at 1:30 pm ET on ESPN3. If you are in Toledo, OH, come out and cheer us on, your 2012-13 CCHA Champions.
- Fencing. Stabrawa Named Fencing's Director of Operations
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2017-18 Schedule
- M. Soccer. Irish Release 2017 Soccer Slate
- M. Ice Hockey. Peeke And St. Cyr Invited To USA Camp
- Softball. Bazos To Represent Greece At Euro Championship
- Track & Field. Father’s Day: Running In The Aragon Family
- W. Tennis. Thompson Tapped To Lead Gophers As Head Coach
- Baseball. Irish Trio Of Bielak, Ruibal & Lidge Drafted
- M. Lacrosse. Epple Invited To U.S. National Team Tryouts
- W. Rowing. Boxberger Named CRCA Pocock All-American
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 GIFs #10 - @NDMenSoccer's ACC Offensive Player of the Year Jon Gallagher led @theACC in… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 11 hours ago
- ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Videos #10-Attention to detail 1st. Then work on the bigger picture. Josh Adams shows… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 12 hours ago
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 73 Days Flashback to the 1973 Sugar Bowl. When unbeaten @NDFootball downed #1 Alabama for… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Moments #10 - Steve Vasturia's 3-pointer with 2.5 seconds left in overtime clinches @NDmbb… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 17 hours ago
- ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #10 - Davis Lamb wins match vs Seton Hall for @NDMensGolf tournament title. und.com/sports/m-golf/… 18 hours ago