Mar 25, 2013, 6:48 PM EST
The clock said 19:31 when the goal went in during the third period, taking ND hockey out of a tie score with Michigan. As the third period progressed, the prevailing thought was “just hold on.” If we could run out the clock, then the Mason Cup would be ours. But the Irish had other plans, and as play was getting intense, and the clock was almost to the 1:00 mark, Michigan looked to pull their goaltender for a sixth attacker. But he got caught in no-man’s land trying to get off the ice just as Jeff Costello stole the puck at center and raced into the Wolverine zone. Before Michigan’s goalie could get back in the cage, Costello snapped a shot into the empty goal for his 11th of the season, sealing the 3-1 victory and a CCHA championship.
And that was the game. The final CCHA Championship ever belonged to the Fighting Irish. Just as the Notre Dame women’s basketball team won the last BIG EAST Championship it would ever play in, this game carried with it the same sense of finality, and how sweet it was to watch the team pile onto the ice.
This was not ND Hockey’s first championship. The Irish have two Mason Cups with their name on it (2007 and 2009), both coming off wins against archrival Michigan. But this is the last time we will battle in the CCHA Conference, and that makes this win extra special.
If you missed any of the action, here’s everything you need, courtesy of Fighting Irish Digital Media.
Now it’s onto the NCAA Tournament. With this win, the Irish were given a #1 seed in the Midwest Regional, playing St. Cloud State at 1:30 pm ET on ESPN3. If you are in Toledo, OH, come out and cheer us on, your 2012-13 CCHA Champions.
- Baseball. Irish Baseball & Softball Season Tickets On Sale
- Softball. Irish Baseball & Softball Season Tickets On Sale
- M. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Wins Over Kentucky, Cleveland State
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame's 16-Game Winning Streak Ends Against Wisconsin
- Fencing. Irish Close Out Weekend With Wins In Philly
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Cruise Past Clemson, 90-37
- M. Soccer. Sunday Brunch: The Riley Era-Long Time in the Making
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish Complete ACC Sweep At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Mooney's Career Day Not Enough In Loss At Clemson
- Track & Field. Shead, Irish race to top-three finishes at Notre Dame Invitational
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- At Notre Dame, head coach Theresa Romagnolo stressed the importance of the #NDFamily. We now wish her well as she… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- No. 1️⃣ @NDHockey No. 1️⃣ @NDFencing No. 5️⃣ @ndwbb Three Irish teams with top-🖐 rankings = plenty of reasons to l… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Life comes at you fast. But sometimes, @NDFootball's Te'von Coney comes at you faster. #GoIrish https://t.co/UdpGzTqlHG 2 hours ago
- After No. 5 @ndwbb earned its largest ACC win in program history, @NDSportsBlogger caught up with Kat Westbeld, who… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- Junior Alex Lebedev moved to 4-0 in his career at No. 1 singles as @NDMensTennis downed Kentucky and Cleveland Stat… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago