Mar 25, 2013, 6:48 PM EDT
The clock said 19:31 when the goal went in during the third period, taking ND hockey out of a tie score with Michigan. As the third period progressed, the prevailing thought was “just hold on.” If we could run out the clock, then the Mason Cup would be ours. But the Irish had other plans, and as play was getting intense, and the clock was almost to the 1:00 mark, Michigan looked to pull their goaltender for a sixth attacker. But he got caught in no-man’s land trying to get off the ice just as Jeff Costello stole the puck at center and raced into the Wolverine zone. Before Michigan’s goalie could get back in the cage, Costello snapped a shot into the empty goal for his 11th of the season, sealing the 3-1 victory and a CCHA championship.
And that was the game. The final CCHA Championship ever belonged to the Fighting Irish. Just as the Notre Dame women’s basketball team won the last BIG EAST Championship it would ever play in, this game carried with it the same sense of finality, and how sweet it was to watch the team pile onto the ice.
This was not ND Hockey’s first championship. The Irish have two Mason Cups with their name on it (2007 and 2009), both coming off wins against archrival Michigan. But this is the last time we will battle in the CCHA Conference, and that makes this win extra special.
If you missed any of the action, here’s everything you need, courtesy of Fighting Irish Digital Media.
Now it’s onto the NCAA Tournament. With this win, the Irish were given a #1 seed in the Midwest Regional, playing St. Cloud State at 1:30 pm ET on ESPN3. If you are in Toledo, OH, come out and cheer us on, your 2012-13 CCHA Champions.
- Track. Irish Prepared for Split-Squad Competition
- W. Golf. Irish Await Elite Field at Bryan National Collegiate
- W. Basketball. Turner's All-America Honors Continue
- M. Basketball. Colson Nabs AP All-America Accolade
- W. Volleyball. Q&A On Irish Volleyball Junior Sam Fry's National Team Tryout
- Baseball. Rally Pushes Irish By Cougars
- M. Basketball. Matt Ryan Granted Release For Contact With Other Schools
- Fencing. Replay: NCAA Title in My Eyes
- Softball. Irish Entertain EMU Eagles Wednesday Evening
- M. Ice Hockey. Jackson Named One of 10 Finalists For Spencer Penrose Award
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE WEEK @NDWomensLax goalie Samantha Giacolone earns national honor after making 13 saves in w… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 41 minutes ago
- 🏒 @NCAA Coach of the Year Finalist @NDHockey coach Jeff Jackson is a top-10 finalist for the Spencer Penrose Award. und.com/sports/m-hocke… 5 hours ago
- ⚾️ IRISH RALLY PAST CHICAGO STATE @NDBaseball downs Chicago State 7-4 with a trio of 2-run innings. Game Recap: und.com/sports/m-baseb… 9 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: “I can’t tell you how proud we are of you.” - Coach Jackson Relive @NDHockey’s 3-2 OT win vs. UMass Lowell. NEXT: On t… 23 hours ago
- ☘ After beating #4 Ohio State 12-7... 2 @NDlacrosse stars earn ACC Player of the Week! Sergio Perkovic John Sexton und.com/sports/m-lacro… 1 day ago