Mar 25, 2013, 6:48 PM EDT
The clock said 19:31 when the goal went in during the third period, taking ND hockey out of a tie score with Michigan. As the third period progressed, the prevailing thought was “just hold on.” If we could run out the clock, then the Mason Cup would be ours. But the Irish had other plans, and as play was getting intense, and the clock was almost to the 1:00 mark, Michigan looked to pull their goaltender for a sixth attacker. But he got caught in no-man’s land trying to get off the ice just as Jeff Costello stole the puck at center and raced into the Wolverine zone. Before Michigan’s goalie could get back in the cage, Costello snapped a shot into the empty goal for his 11th of the season, sealing the 3-1 victory and a CCHA championship.
And that was the game. The final CCHA Championship ever belonged to the Fighting Irish. Just as the Notre Dame women’s basketball team won the last BIG EAST Championship it would ever play in, this game carried with it the same sense of finality, and how sweet it was to watch the team pile onto the ice.
This was not ND Hockey’s first championship. The Irish have two Mason Cups with their name on it (2007 and 2009), both coming off wins against archrival Michigan. But this is the last time we will battle in the CCHA Conference, and that makes this win extra special.
If you missed any of the action, here’s everything you need, courtesy of Fighting Irish Digital Media.
Now it’s onto the NCAA Tournament. With this win, the Irish were given a #1 seed in the Midwest Regional, playing St. Cloud State at 1:30 pm ET on ESPN3. If you are in Toledo, OH, come out and cheer us on, your 2012-13 CCHA Champions.
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Ready For Speedy NCAA Championship Week
- Track & Field. Nathan Richartz Named ACC Field Performer Of The Week
- Softball. Irish And Western Michigan Game Rescheduled For April 17
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Set To Host Michigan In Midweek Matchup
- M. Basketball. Matt Farrell Invited To All-Star Three-Point Challenge
- Baseball. Notre Dame Hosts NIU in Home Opener
- General News. Social Rewind: @ndwbb vs. Villanova - NCAA Tournament
- M. Basketball. Final Words
- Fencing. Kiefer Snares Bronze At FIE Grand Prix
- M. Lacrosse. Sexton And Wynne Named ACC Players Of The Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- After @NDHockey won the Big Ten Tournament title came the celebrations! 🎉 Take an inside look at the Irish win bef… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 6 hours ago
- After @ndwbb advanced to its NINTH straight #Sweet16, @MuffetMcGraw takes you inside the locker room with the Irish… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- "Enjoy this, but there are even more prizes ahead." With a Big Ten Tournament title under their belts, go behind-t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- Before @NDLacrosse takes on Michigan on Wednesday at 4 p.m., take an inside look 👀 back at the top-10 win vs. Virgi… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- The lines are painted. The dugouts are set. The popcorn's popped. @NDBaseball is back, Tuesday at 6 p.m. ET on AC… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago