Mar 28, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
On Tuesday, March 28, student-athletes gathered at Compton Family Ice Arena to try their hands at a sport probably none of them had tried before: curling.
Curling, if you’ve never seen it before, is kind of like bowling on ice. Two teams of four compete against each other. The first team launches a polished granite stone, or “rock,” at a four-ringed target at the end of their lane. Members of the launching team can sweep the ice in front of the rock to make the ice smoother, helping the rock go farther, and members of the opposing team can also sweep the ice to make it rougher, preventing the rock from gliding. (I’m terrible at describing it, so watch the video below if you want to learn more about it.)
Patrick Grahek, a sophomore on the men’s golf team, said he had never curled before, but he had a lot of fun with it. The most surprising thing about the sport? “It’s surprisingly difficult to judge the distance. That and how long the lane is, but it was fun. We all got really into it.”
Erin Klosterman and Meg Vonderhaar, both sophomores on the volleyball team, said, “We learned a lot and it was pretty fun.” Just as Grahek was surprised by the sport, so were Klosterman and Vonderhaar.
“The rocks were heavier than I thought! I thought they were just going to fly down there,” said Klosterman.
Vonderhaar was most surprised at the technique involved. “It was through three parts, so that took some practice.”
Klosterman described the three parts to the launch: “You go forward with it, and then you come back and your hips come up, and then you do the launch and then you just glide out of it real nicely.”
I don’t expect any of the athletes to take up curling seriously, but they seemed to have a lot of fun with it. And maybe now they’ll have more incentive to watch the Winter Olympics.
Check out a few more pics on the Student-Athlete Welfare and Development Facebook page.
- M. Lacrosse. Four Former Irish Standouts To Play For MLL Title On Saturday
- M. Golf. Davis Chatfield Ends Great Run at US Amateur
- W. Soccer. Women's Soccer Opens Season with 3-1 Win over Central Michigan
- W. Basketball. Women's Hoops to Play in Vancouver Showcase
- Swimming & Diving. Notre Dame Unveils 2018-19 Swim & Dive Schedule
- M. Golf. Chatfield Continues Momentous Run at US Amateur
- Softball. Register For Irish Softball September Clinics
- W. Soccer. Irish Begin 2018 Campaign Against Central Michigan
- W. Basketball. Look Back at the Foreign Tour
- M. Golf. Chatfield & Jamieson to Compete in US Amateur Championship
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ⚽️☘️ @NDSoccer earned the season-opening win as @NDCoachNorman notched his first career win at the helm of the Iris… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 hours ago
- ✅ #FridayFeeling ✅ 1️⃣5️⃣ days until 🏈 Jump for joy, #NDFamily! @NDFootball's just around the corner. #GoIrish… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 7 hours ago
- #TFW @NDSoccer brings home the first Irish win of the school year! The Irish defeated CMU, 3-1, to open the regula… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 19 hours ago
- ⚽️ @NDSoccer opens up the regular-season vs. CMU, Thursday at 7 p.m. ET on ACC Network Extra! 🖥… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 23 hours ago
- 🏈☘️ When @NDFootball battles Syracuse at Yankee Stadium on November 17, the Irish will add some @Yankees flair. Ta… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago