Mar 28, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
On Tuesday, March 28, student-athletes gathered at Compton Family Ice Arena to try their hands at a sport probably none of them had tried before: curling.
Curling, if you’ve never seen it before, is kind of like bowling on ice. Two teams of four compete against each other. The first team launches a polished granite stone, or “rock,” at a four-ringed target at the end of their lane. Members of the launching team can sweep the ice in front of the rock to make the ice smoother, helping the rock go farther, and members of the opposing team can also sweep the ice to make it rougher, preventing the rock from gliding. (I’m terrible at describing it, so watch the video below if you want to learn more about it.)
Patrick Grahek, a sophomore on the men’s golf team, said he had never curled before, but he had a lot of fun with it. The most surprising thing about the sport? “It’s surprisingly difficult to judge the distance. That and how long the lane is, but it was fun. We all got really into it.”
Erin Klosterman and Meg Vonderhaar, both sophomores on the volleyball team, said, “We learned a lot and it was pretty fun.” Just as Grahek was surprised by the sport, so were Klosterman and Vonderhaar.
“The rocks were heavier than I thought! I thought they were just going to fly down there,” said Klosterman.
Vonderhaar was most surprised at the technique involved. “It was through three parts, so that took some practice.”
Klosterman described the three parts to the launch: “You go forward with it, and then you come back and your hips come up, and then you do the launch and then you just glide out of it real nicely.”
I don’t expect any of the athletes to take up curling seriously, but they seemed to have a lot of fun with it. And maybe now they’ll have more incentive to watch the Winter Olympics.
Check out a few more pics on the Student-Athlete Welfare and Development Facebook page.
- Football. Quenton Nelson, Mike McGlinchey Named Preseason Associated Press All-Americans
- M. Soccer. #10 Irish Outrun Valpo 3-0 In Grassroot Soccer Clash
- W. Basketball. Visual Look Back at Ogunbowale's Trip to Tokyo
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Volleyball Season Preview
- Football. Notre Dame Stadium: It's a Go
- W. Soccer. Offense Erupts in #18 Notre Dame's 4-0 Win
- Football. Bob Elliott: A Warrior for All Seasons
- Football. Limited Tickets Remain for Irish Football Home Opener Versus Temple
- M. Soccer. #10 Irish, Valpo Clash In Annual Grassroot Soccer Contest
- W. Soccer. #18 Irish, Butler Draw 0-0 In 2017 Lid-Lifter
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 📚 The first day of classes is complete and our students are home under the dome. Here's to a new school year! https://t.co/vAkGqiGk9K 5 hours ago
- 🏈 INSIDE NOTRE DAME STADIUM Here's a look at the renovated restrooms! #NDBiggerThanBrick https://t.co/gcKD1V4heT 8 hours ago
- ☘ Stadium Updates We renovated the restrooms at Notre Dame Stadium. Check back soon to see the interior!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- ⚽️ ND TAKES DOWN VALPO! #10 @NDMenSoccer downs Valpo 3-0 in annual Grassroot Soccer game. 📽 Highlights https://t.co/5v6zVelR07 14 hours ago
- "We're right where we need to be." @NDSportsBlogger interviewed D-Lineman Daelin Hayes after Sunday's New & Gold G… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago