Mar 28, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
On Tuesday, March 28, student-athletes gathered at Compton Family Ice Arena to try their hands at a sport probably none of them had tried before: curling.
Curling, if you’ve never seen it before, is kind of like bowling on ice. Two teams of four compete against each other. The first team launches a polished granite stone, or “rock,” at a four-ringed target at the end of their lane. Members of the launching team can sweep the ice in front of the rock to make the ice smoother, helping the rock go farther, and members of the opposing team can also sweep the ice to make it rougher, preventing the rock from gliding. (I’m terrible at describing it, so watch the video below if you want to learn more about it.)
Patrick Grahek, a sophomore on the men’s golf team, said he had never curled before, but he had a lot of fun with it. The most surprising thing about the sport? “It’s surprisingly difficult to judge the distance. That and how long the lane is, but it was fun. We all got really into it.”
Erin Klosterman and Meg Vonderhaar, both sophomores on the volleyball team, said, “We learned a lot and it was pretty fun.” Just as Grahek was surprised by the sport, so were Klosterman and Vonderhaar.
“The rocks were heavier than I thought! I thought they were just going to fly down there,” said Klosterman.
Vonderhaar was most surprised at the technique involved. “It was through three parts, so that took some practice.”
Klosterman described the three parts to the launch: “You go forward with it, and then you come back and your hips come up, and then you do the launch and then you just glide out of it real nicely.”
I don’t expect any of the athletes to take up curling seriously, but they seemed to have a lot of fun with it. And maybe now they’ll have more incentive to watch the Winter Olympics.
Check out a few more pics on the Student-Athlete Welfare and Development Facebook page.
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Comes Up Short Against Hurricanes, 77-74
- Baseball. Gilgenbach Garners ACC Co-Player of the Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Michigan Holds On For 1-0 Victory Over Notre Dame
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Doubleheader Victories Over Indiana, Wright State
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Miami - Five Things To Know
- Baseball. Gilgenbach's Two-Homer Day Takes Series At No. 9 LSU
- M. Tennis. #22 Irish Drop 4-3 Heartbreaker To #20 Blue Devils
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Wrap Last Road Game with 89-55 Win at Boston College
- W. Lacrosse. No. 16 Notre Dame blows by Stetson, 21-7
- Softball. #RV Irish Go 3-1 Versus #14 Minny, #20 UM At B1G/ACC
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 5 @ndwbb brought home a win from its final road trip of the year. Take a behind-the-scenes look 👀 at the Iris… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- ✌️ #Gilgenbombs = ☝️ ACC Co-Player of the Week award for Gilgenbach! @NDBaseball's Eric Gilgenbach hit two home ru… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Matt Farrell’s ready and so are the Irish. Catch @NDmbb vs. Miami, LIVE on #BigMonday at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- #BigMonday is back! After @NDmbb beat Boston College on the road, the Irish return home to take on Monday at 7 p.m… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- We couldn't let #PresidentsDay pass without honoring one of our all-time great alumni, President Jed Bartlet.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 12 hours ago