Mar 28, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
On Tuesday, March 28, student-athletes gathered at Compton Family Ice Arena to try their hands at a sport probably none of them had tried before: curling.
Curling, if you’ve never seen it before, is kind of like bowling on ice. Two teams of four compete against each other. The first team launches a polished granite stone, or “rock,” at a four-ringed target at the end of their lane. Members of the launching team can sweep the ice in front of the rock to make the ice smoother, helping the rock go farther, and members of the opposing team can also sweep the ice to make it rougher, preventing the rock from gliding. (I’m terrible at describing it, so watch the video below if you want to learn more about it.)
Patrick Grahek, a sophomore on the men’s golf team, said he had never curled before, but he had a lot of fun with it. The most surprising thing about the sport? “It’s surprisingly difficult to judge the distance. That and how long the lane is, but it was fun. We all got really into it.”
Erin Klosterman and Meg Vonderhaar, both sophomores on the volleyball team, said, “We learned a lot and it was pretty fun.” Just as Grahek was surprised by the sport, so were Klosterman and Vonderhaar.
“The rocks were heavier than I thought! I thought they were just going to fly down there,” said Klosterman.
Vonderhaar was most surprised at the technique involved. “It was through three parts, so that took some practice.”
Klosterman described the three parts to the launch: “You go forward with it, and then you come back and your hips come up, and then you do the launch and then you just glide out of it real nicely.”
I don’t expect any of the athletes to take up curling seriously, but they seemed to have a lot of fun with it. And maybe now they’ll have more incentive to watch the Winter Olympics.
Check out a few more pics on the Student-Athlete Welfare and Development Facebook page.
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Volleyball Unveils 2018 Schedule
- M. Golf. Two Irish Golfers Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Track & Field. Harris Named First Team Academic All-American
- Football. WATCH: Freshmen Move In
- W. Golf. Irish Trio Earn 2018 All-ACC Academic Team Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Brauer Signs With South Carolina Stingrays
- W. Soccer. Challenging 2018 Schedule Announced For Women's Soccer
- W. Basketball. Women's Basketball Nominated for Three ESPYS
- Track & Field. Irish Set To Compete At USA Track & Field Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Announce Incoming Class
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ✔️ ACC All-American 📚 ✔️ @NotreDame theology grad 🎓 ✔️ NCAA Outdoor Championships competitor 👟 Now, @NDXCTF's Je… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 55 minutes ago
- RT for a chance to win! ☝️ night at the @MorrisInnND ✌️ @NDmbb tickets 🎟 When you come to campus to catch the Iri… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 hours ago
- 9️⃣ new skaters, 1️⃣ stellar freshman class. Meet the new @NDHockey student-athletes you'll love watching on the i… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 hours ago
- The #NDFamily is everywhere! 🇪🇸 As @NDLacrosse took in the sights of Madrid, @NotreDame alum Matthew Kineen taught… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 20 hours ago
- 🏀 Best Team ☑️ @ndwbb 🏀 Best Moment ☑️ @ndwbb 🏀 Best Play ☑️ @ndwbb Yep, you know who we're voting for. Give… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 22 hours ago