Mar 28, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
On Tuesday, March 28, student-athletes gathered at Compton Family Ice Arena to try their hands at a sport probably none of them had tried before: curling.
Curling, if you’ve never seen it before, is kind of like bowling on ice. Two teams of four compete against each other. The first team launches a polished granite stone, or “rock,” at a four-ringed target at the end of their lane. Members of the launching team can sweep the ice in front of the rock to make the ice smoother, helping the rock go farther, and members of the opposing team can also sweep the ice to make it rougher, preventing the rock from gliding. (I’m terrible at describing it, so watch the video below if you want to learn more about it.)
Patrick Grahek, a sophomore on the men’s golf team, said he had never curled before, but he had a lot of fun with it. The most surprising thing about the sport? “It’s surprisingly difficult to judge the distance. That and how long the lane is, but it was fun. We all got really into it.”
Erin Klosterman and Meg Vonderhaar, both sophomores on the volleyball team, said, “We learned a lot and it was pretty fun.” Just as Grahek was surprised by the sport, so were Klosterman and Vonderhaar.
“The rocks were heavier than I thought! I thought they were just going to fly down there,” said Klosterman.
Vonderhaar was most surprised at the technique involved. “It was through three parts, so that took some practice.”
Klosterman described the three parts to the launch: “You go forward with it, and then you come back and your hips come up, and then you do the launch and then you just glide out of it real nicely.”
I don’t expect any of the athletes to take up curling seriously, but they seemed to have a lot of fun with it. And maybe now they’ll have more incentive to watch the Winter Olympics.
Check out a few more pics on the Student-Athlete Welfare and Development Facebook page.
- W. Basketball. No. 2 Irish Renew Border Battle with (-/RV) DePaul
- W. Soccer. A Look Back: 2017 Top Moments
- General News. Irish Student-Athletes Celebrate 21st Annual Pediatric Christmas Party
- M. Basketball. #Breyteen - Irish Outlast Butler In Overtime Thriller
- W. Basketball. Three Former Irish Named to 2017-20 USA National Team Pool
- W. Soccer. Yu Named Scholar All-American
- Football. Mike McGlinchey Named 101st Consensus All-American In School History
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Announces Details For Annual NDLaxTV National Coaching Clinic
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ✅ 7️⃣ games with over 💯 rush yards ✅ 9️⃣ TDs ✅ 8️⃣5️⃣-yard TD vs. USC @NDFootball's Josh Adams was named the Of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Time to hoop with the Hoosiers. The #CrossroadsClassic tips off at 2:30 p.m. ET when @NDmbb faces Indiana. 📺 FOX… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- And the winner is... Check out all the award 🏆 winners from @NDFootball's annual awards show, Echoes. ⤵️… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- Out with the old. Tumbling in with the new. Send a volley cheer on high because @NDCheerTeam's new uniforms will… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- Welcome to Indiana basketball. @NDmbb heads to Indianapolis to take on the rival Hoosiers at 2:30 p.m. ET for the… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago