Mar 29, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
NCAA tournaments are very different from conference championships. There’s an increased spotlight, with the NCAA and ESPN running the show. After we walked over to the Huntington Center, the headquarters for this year’s Midwestern Regionals, there were ESPN interviews to do. Steven Summerhays, Anders Lee, and Bryan Rust met up with ESPN to talk about the recent CCHA championship, and what that meant to them coming into the NCAA tournament.
A few things we learned from their ESPN interviews…
- Kevin Nugent is the undisputed “class clown” of the team.
- The juniors do have their freshman year trip to the national semifinals at the Frozen Four in mind as they make this trip to the NCAA tournament.
- They have you do “artistic” poses post-interview (pointing at the camera, taking helmets on and off, flipping pucks, holding different facial positions looking at the camera for 20 seconds at a time).
- Many of the teams that are in the NCAA Tournament they have never played before, so they focus on strengthening their skills and the game plan.
- This team likes to laugh and there have been a few practical jokes, but they won’t name names.
- Bryan Rust only has 3 “tv faces”- “happy,” “competition,” and “surly.”
- Winning the CCHA Championship has given the players confidence that a national championship can be theirs if they play their game.
Coach Jackson and the players knocked their interviews out in one shot, and then it was time to get on the ice and back to work.
Tune in tomorrow on ESPN3 (and on WHME-TV channel 46 in the South Bend area) at 1:30 pm for the game vs St. Cloud State. Go Irish.
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Hand Buckeyes First Defeat Of Season In 12-7 Victory
- W. Rowing. Irish Compete At Longhorn Invitational
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Prepared to Battle Syracuse on the Road
- Baseball. Irish Fall In 13 Innings To No. 13 FSU
- Softball. Irish Execute Excellently In Twin Bill Sweep Of Virginia Tech
- Track. Meunier, Irish Wrap Day One of Raleigh Relays
- W. Basketball. Irish Elite in Historic Victory Over Buckeyes
- Swimming & Diving. No. 19 Notre Dame Has Solid Third Day at Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- W. Tennis. Irish Rally Comes Up Short In Conference Dual Against Wolfpack
- Football. Rocket Ismail: He’s Lived and Learned
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.