Mar 29, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
NCAA tournaments are very different from conference championships. There’s an increased spotlight, with the NCAA and ESPN running the show. After we walked over to the Huntington Center, the headquarters for this year’s Midwestern Regionals, there were ESPN interviews to do. Steven Summerhays, Anders Lee, and Bryan Rust met up with ESPN to talk about the recent CCHA championship, and what that meant to them coming into the NCAA tournament.
A few things we learned from their ESPN interviews…
- Kevin Nugent is the undisputed “class clown” of the team.
- The juniors do have their freshman year trip to the national semifinals at the Frozen Four in mind as they make this trip to the NCAA tournament.
- They have you do “artistic” poses post-interview (pointing at the camera, taking helmets on and off, flipping pucks, holding different facial positions looking at the camera for 20 seconds at a time).
- Many of the teams that are in the NCAA Tournament they have never played before, so they focus on strengthening their skills and the game plan.
- This team likes to laugh and there have been a few practical jokes, but they won’t name names.
- Bryan Rust only has 3 “tv faces”- “happy,” “competition,” and “surly.”
- Winning the CCHA Championship has given the players confidence that a national championship can be theirs if they play their game.
Coach Jackson and the players knocked their interviews out in one shot, and then it was time to get on the ice and back to work.
Tune in tomorrow on ESPN3 (and on WHME-TV channel 46 in the South Bend area) at 1:30 pm for the game vs St. Cloud State. Go Irish.
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Remain In The Hunt At OSU Fall Invite
- M. Ice Hockey. Morrison Tallies Overtime Winner As #4 Irish Down RPI 1-0
- Football. #8 Irish Hold Off Midshipmen, 24-17
- W. Soccer. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Face Baylor
- M. Ice Hockey. 2019 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic Set For Notre Dame Stadium
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Begin NCAA Journey Sunday Against #20 Wisconsin
- W. Soccer. Irish Use Penalty Kicks to Eliminate No. 2-Seeded Aggies
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Off To Strong Start In Columbus
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Decimates Tar Heels In Straight-Set Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Down RPI 4-1 For Sixth Straight Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 8️⃣ @NDFootball took down Navy in the final home game of the 2017 season at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish https://t.co/QQUR9IWSog 6 hours ago
- Celebrating Senior Day the best way we know how, on the field with our friends and family. #GoIrish https://t.co/ItoEJgeRWd 7 hours ago
- That’ll do it from Notre Dame Stadium, where @NDFootball defeats Navy, 24-17! Next up, Stanford. #GoIrish https://t.co/9ytOGrfW8p 9 hours ago
- Proud to stand with our friends from the Naval Academy during their alma mater. Thank you, always, for your servic… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Gold always looks best in the fourth quarter. #GoIrish https://t.co/vbQmCNfrOF 9 hours ago