Apr 15, 2013, 5:27 PM EST
As we boarded the bus after this past weekend’s sweep to Pittsburgh, I asked freshman right fielder Zak Kutsulis, “How close did you come to catching it?”
Kutsulis didn’t need clarification. He knew that “ball” I was referring to came off the bat of Eric Hess in the 5th inning, with two out and two on, of Sunday’s finale.
“It grazed the top of my mitt as it went out,” he said dejectedly. Out, as in out of the park for a three-run homer. Out, as in Notre Dame being out of the game the rest of the way.
And as bad as the sweep was…and it was bad…the Irish were so close all weekend to making it a much different story. Yes, Notre Dame was outscored 20-4, on the weekend, but it really was much closer than that.
Mik Aoki felt his team made more “barrel contacts” this week than any time all year, but they often went right at fielders. Charlie Markson hit two rockets up the middle in consecutive at bats, each time hitting the pitcher on the body and resulting in an out. The first eight balls Trey Mancini hit this weekend were lasers…and all resulted in outs.
Crash Davis told us the difference between a .250 and ,300 hitter over the course of a season is a bloop, a flare, a Texas Leaguer. That is baseball, and as marvelous as it is… like life, it isn’t fair.
If Matt Ternowchek is the beneficiary of a ball/strike call, Hess never homers in the 5th. If a fly ball is caught instead of being dropped in the first inning Friday night, perhaps the whole series takes on a different tone. Twice this weekend, Pitt started the runners on 1st and 2nd and hit line drives for hits. If those line drives, find gloves….
If, if, if…it’s the two-letter word so often used by the losing team, and forgotten by the winner. When you have a loss, you dwell on those ifs. When you get a win, you pack the bag, and move on to the next one.
Nothing accelerates faster than confidence and momentum, no matter which way they are going. Right now, they’re going downhill for the Irish. Eight days ago, Notre Dame was 19-9, and a five-game skid seemed unfathomable. Eight days from now, they could be 24-14, and this will be a distant memory.
How do you turn things around? That’s what Aoki and the Irish have to figure out. It may be as close as the next bloop, flare or Texas Leaguer. It may be as close as the ball was to Kustulis’ glove.
- Baseball. Chance Of Rain Alters Tony Gwynn Classic Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Capitalize In 5-2 Win Over Purdue
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Have Everything To Play For At Boston University
- W. Basketball. Irish Welcome Eagles On Senior Night
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Battle Phoenix to Open Road Trip
- General News. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- Fencing. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- W. Soccer. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- Football. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Thursday @ndwbb plays Boston College for a share of its 4th regular season ACC title. #TBT to ND's 81-70 win vs Du… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 minutes ago
- 🏀 Which NBA legend does @NDmbb's Elijah Burns want to meet? Get to know Elijah on Inside ND Basketball. 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 20 hours ago
- 🏀 This week the @NDmbb assistant coaches are on the road recruiting. Practice is all Coach Brey. 👀@NDMikeBrey https://t.co/Tee1WaFZQq 1 day ago
- HALL OF FAME: One Step Away @ndwbb coach Muffet McGraw is a finalist for Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. und.com/sports/w-baskb… 1 day ago
- ☘️ @NDHockey Goalie Cal Petersen: 🏒 Tied for 1st in NCAA Shutouts. 💯 @Hockey_East Defensive Player of the Week. und.com/sports/m-hocke… 2 days ago