Apr 16, 2013, 4:34 PM EDT
She’s a junior on the women’s tennis team, while he’s a freshman on the men’s. They grew up in Plantation, Florida and attended American Heritage High School. They both began playing tennis at very young ages Julie says. “[Kenny] was five, I was six.” Tennis, as it is in many cases, is a family sport for them. Their older sister Lauren played tennis for The College of William & Mary. Julie and Kenny even used to play mixed doubles together when they were younger, and still play against each other over school breaks on the court in their backyard.
Even though she and her brother hail from the sun-soaked suburbs of South Florida, Julie always had her eyes set on South Bend. “This was my dream school. I actually always wanted to come to Notre Dame, it was my number one choice,” she says. After two years of having the campus to herself, her younger brother Kenny joined her.
Family can sometimes be an influential factor on deciding which college to attend. It was an influence that Kenny chose not to ignore to when making his final college choice. “It was definitely a factor. I mean, I did look at the academics and the tennis team, of course, but Julie being here was huge for me.”
“Yeah, if I have a problem or anything like that, I know that family’s here which is awesome,” notes Kenny.
“Me being here for two years without him, and [suddenly] now I have someone if [there’s] anything I need is great. He comes to all my matches now, so I have a little coach with me; someone who always has my best interests in mind and has my back. It’s a great feeling,” Julie remarks when asked how she feels having her brother around.
“Yeah! Who wants to see you do the best. That unconditional love, it’s great,” Julie responds back.
Julie and Kenny get to experience Notre Dame tennis in a way none of their teammates do. It’s people like the Sabacinski siblings who know the deepest meaning of “The Notre Dame Family,” and take it to a whole new level.
- Track. Irish Prepared For Historic Penn Relays
- Baseball. Vorsheck, Vierling Vanquish Eastern Michigan Wednesday Night
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Set For Rematch With Duke In ACC Semifinals
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Seek Redemption Against Eagles
- W. Tennis. Irish Advance At ACCs After Emphatic 4-0 Victory
- Football. Notre Dame & The NFL Draft
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Land Three On All-ACC Team
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: ACC Championship vs. Louisville
- W. Rowing. Martin Stone Presented Honorary Monogram
- Baseball. Irish Halt Crusaders Tuesday Night
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🎾 ACC PLAYER OF THE WEEK @NDMensTennis SR Josh Hagar downed the #1 NCAA doubles team with partner Eddy Covalschi.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago
- 📸 PHOTO OF THE WEEK #6 @NDlacrosse celebrates after beating #16 UNC 14-13 on Senior Day. Presented by @VividSeats https://t.co/UrHtYvNVYm 10 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: "When you walk down that tunnel you need to be locked in."-Brian Kelly 📽 The sideline, field & locker room from @NDFoot… 14 hours ago
- ☘ IRISH WIN AT NORTHWESTERN! @NDSoftball records 8 runs scored in 3 innings to beat Northwestern 10-2. Game Recap: und.com/sports/w-softb… 15 hours ago
- ⚾️ ND KNOCKS OFF VALPO! SR Pitcher Ryan Smoyer gave up 4 hits in 5 innings in @NDBaseball's 10-3 win over Valpo.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago