Apr 16, 2013, 4:34 PM EDT
She’s a junior on the women’s tennis team, while he’s a freshman on the men’s. They grew up in Plantation, Florida and attended American Heritage High School. They both began playing tennis at very young ages Julie says. “[Kenny] was five, I was six.” Tennis, as it is in many cases, is a family sport for them. Their older sister Lauren played tennis for The College of William & Mary. Julie and Kenny even used to play mixed doubles together when they were younger, and still play against each other over school breaks on the court in their backyard.
Even though she and her brother hail from the sun-soaked suburbs of South Florida, Julie always had her eyes set on South Bend. “This was my dream school. I actually always wanted to come to Notre Dame, it was my number one choice,” she says. After two years of having the campus to herself, her younger brother Kenny joined her.
Family can sometimes be an influential factor on deciding which college to attend. It was an influence that Kenny chose not to ignore to when making his final college choice. “It was definitely a factor. I mean, I did look at the academics and the tennis team, of course, but Julie being here was huge for me.”
“Yeah, if I have a problem or anything like that, I know that family’s here which is awesome,” notes Kenny.
“Me being here for two years without him, and [suddenly] now I have someone if [there’s] anything I need is great. He comes to all my matches now, so I have a little coach with me; someone who always has my best interests in mind and has my back. It’s a great feeling,” Julie remarks when asked how she feels having her brother around.
“Yeah! Who wants to see you do the best. That unconditional love, it’s great,” Julie responds back.
Julie and Kenny get to experience Notre Dame tennis in a way none of their teammates do. It’s people like the Sabacinski siblings who know the deepest meaning of “The Notre Dame Family,” and take it to a whole new level.
- W. Soccer. Jacobs to Compete with U-23 Women's National Team in Seattle
- Bigger Than Brick. `Going Green' at Notre Dame Stadium
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Comparisons
- Track & Field. Murray Speaks to Write on Sports Campers
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick | Looking Around
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Sends Contingent to NHL Development Camps
- Cross Country. Irish Announce Cross Country Class of 2021
- Fencing. Irish To Be Well-Represented At Senior World Championships
- M. Basketball. Maui Invitational Tournament Will Begin With Chaminade
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - The Why
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 43 Days In 1943 QB Angelo Bertelli won @NDFootball's 1st Heisman Trophy, the same year ND… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago
- ☘ ND Stadium is Going Green! LED Lights Food Donations Game Day Recycling Learn about our sustainability efforts: und.com/sports/biggert… 23 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: The 3 new buildings at ND Stadium are big enough for a queen. Literally. At 800,000 sq. feet, they're almost as big as… 1 day ago
- The new facility at ND Stadium has 1,650,000 bricks. Laid end-to-end they stretch 200 miles. Long enough to go fr… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- In 3,000,000 hours of labor we: Renovated ND Stadium & constructed 3 buildings. That's how long it takes Earth to… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago