Apr 16, 2013, 4:34 PM EST
She’s a junior on the women’s tennis team, while he’s a freshman on the men’s. They grew up in Plantation, Florida and attended American Heritage High School. They both began playing tennis at very young ages Julie says. “[Kenny] was five, I was six.” Tennis, as it is in many cases, is a family sport for them. Their older sister Lauren played tennis for The College of William & Mary. Julie and Kenny even used to play mixed doubles together when they were younger, and still play against each other over school breaks on the court in their backyard.
Even though she and her brother hail from the sun-soaked suburbs of South Florida, Julie always had her eyes set on South Bend. “This was my dream school. I actually always wanted to come to Notre Dame, it was my number one choice,” she says. After two years of having the campus to herself, her younger brother Kenny joined her.
Family can sometimes be an influential factor on deciding which college to attend. It was an influence that Kenny chose not to ignore to when making his final college choice. “It was definitely a factor. I mean, I did look at the academics and the tennis team, of course, but Julie being here was huge for me.”
“Yeah, if I have a problem or anything like that, I know that family’s here which is awesome,” notes Kenny.
“Me being here for two years without him, and [suddenly] now I have someone if [there’s] anything I need is great. He comes to all my matches now, so I have a little coach with me; someone who always has my best interests in mind and has my back. It’s a great feeling,” Julie remarks when asked how she feels having her brother around.
“Yeah! Who wants to see you do the best. That unconditional love, it’s great,” Julie responds back.
Julie and Kenny get to experience Notre Dame tennis in a way none of their teammates do. It’s people like the Sabacinski siblings who know the deepest meaning of “The Notre Dame Family,” and take it to a whole new level.
- M. Golf. Irish End First Day at Prestige at PGA West
- W. Soccer. Norman ('07) Named Notre Dame Women's Soccer Head Coach
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Roll Into ACCs For Conference Championship Meet
- Track & Field. Yared Nuguse Named ACC Track Performer of the Week
- Fencing. Irish Youth Perform Well At Junior Olympic Championships
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Comes Up Short Against Hurricanes, 77-74
- Baseball. Gilgenbach Garners ACC Co-Player of the Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Michigan Holds On For 1-0 Victory Over Notre Dame
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Doubleheader Victories Over Indiana, Wright State
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Miami - Five Things To Know
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Kristina Nelson hit career highs in 3️⃣ categories as No. 5 @ndwbb downed Boston College on Sunday. Don't miss Kri… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 28 minutes ago
- Go behind-the-scenes of @NDmbb in the newest episode of Podward Notre Dame. The storytellers of Fighting Irish Med… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- 🥇 Samantha Viqueira 🥇 Stephen Ewart @NDFencing recorded top performances at the Junior Olympic National Champions… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- After @NDCoachNorman was introduced as the newest head coach of @NDSoccer, the well wishes poured in from around th… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- No. 19 @NDSwimDive is gearing up for action at the 2018 ACC Swimming and Diving Championships, starting Wednesday!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago