Apr 16, 2013, 4:34 PM EST
She’s a junior on the women’s tennis team, while he’s a freshman on the men’s. They grew up in Plantation, Florida and attended American Heritage High School. They both began playing tennis at very young ages Julie says. “[Kenny] was five, I was six.” Tennis, as it is in many cases, is a family sport for them. Their older sister Lauren played tennis for The College of William & Mary. Julie and Kenny even used to play mixed doubles together when they were younger, and still play against each other over school breaks on the court in their backyard.
Even though she and her brother hail from the sun-soaked suburbs of South Florida, Julie always had her eyes set on South Bend. “This was my dream school. I actually always wanted to come to Notre Dame, it was my number one choice,” she says. After two years of having the campus to herself, her younger brother Kenny joined her.
Family can sometimes be an influential factor on deciding which college to attend. It was an influence that Kenny chose not to ignore to when making his final college choice. “It was definitely a factor. I mean, I did look at the academics and the tennis team, of course, but Julie being here was huge for me.”
“Yeah, if I have a problem or anything like that, I know that family’s here which is awesome,” notes Kenny.
“Me being here for two years without him, and [suddenly] now I have someone if [there’s] anything I need is great. He comes to all my matches now, so I have a little coach with me; someone who always has my best interests in mind and has my back. It’s a great feeling,” Julie remarks when asked how she feels having her brother around.
“Yeah! Who wants to see you do the best. That unconditional love, it’s great,” Julie responds back.
Julie and Kenny get to experience Notre Dame tennis in a way none of their teammates do. It’s people like the Sabacinski siblings who know the deepest meaning of “The Notre Dame Family,” and take it to a whole new level.
- W. Basketball. No. 2 Irish Renew Border Battle with (-/RV) DePaul
- W. Soccer. A Look Back: 2017 Top Moments
- General News. Irish Student-Athletes Celebrate 21st Annual Pediatric Christmas Party
- M. Basketball. #Breyteen - Irish Outlast Butler In Overtime Thriller
- W. Basketball. Three Former Irish Named to 2017-20 USA National Team Pool
- W. Soccer. Yu Named Scholar All-American
- Football. Mike McGlinchey Named 101st Consensus All-American In School History
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Announces Details For Annual NDLaxTV National Coaching Clinic
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ✅ 7️⃣ games with over 💯 rush yards ✅ 9️⃣ TDs ✅ 8️⃣5️⃣-yard TD vs. USC @NDFootball's Josh Adams was named the Of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Time to hoop with the Hoosiers. The #CrossroadsClassic tips off at 2:30 p.m. ET when @NDmbb faces Indiana. 📺 FOX… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- And the winner is... Check out all the award 🏆 winners from @NDFootball's annual awards show, Echoes. ⤵️… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- Out with the old. Tumbling in with the new. Send a volley cheer on high because @NDCheerTeam's new uniforms will… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- Welcome to Indiana basketball. @NDmbb heads to Indianapolis to take on the rival Hoosiers at 2:30 p.m. ET for the… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago