Apr 20, 2013, 1:41 PM EST
The Notre Dame Fighting Irish baseball team has found itself stuck in quite a big rut, having lost six games in a row. The Irish are now 19-15 on the season, 4-8 in the BIG EAST, which has them ranked in 9th place amongst 11 conference teams heading into the back half of the season. Luck has not been with the Irish lately, as they have had several bad breaks in close losses to their opponents. The Irish appeared destined to break the losing streak on Wednesday night, as they led Bowling Green 12-0 in the fourth inning. However, Mother Nature was not willing to cooperate, sending down lightning and rain before the required 4 ½ innings could be completed to make the game official.
Now, the Fighting Irish look to bounce back against the Quinnipiac Bobcats, who come into South Bend for a three-game weekend series. The Bobcats come in with struggles of their own, having lost 9 straight and standing at 10-21 on the season. Sophomore IF Scott Donaghue leads Quinnipiac’s offense with a .290 batting average, while senior starter Derek Lamacchia has paced the pitching staff with 39 K’s and a 1.51 ERA.
The series will open up at 12:00 p.m. ET at Frank Eck Stadium Saturday with sophomore Pat Connaughton taking the mound for the Irish. Connaughton is 0-2 in 4 appearances with a 3.21 ERA this year. Fans are looking for a big outing from the sophomore to help right the ship for Notre Dame.
Saturday will continue as a doubleheader with the second game beginning at 3:30 p.m. ET, and senior Adam Norton will look to continue his strong season for the Irish. Norton is 7-1 on the season with a 2.08 ERA, but has run into some trouble in his last two starts. He took his first loss of the year last weekend against Pittsburgh, and gave up 6 runs the previous weekend against Villanova. It will be interesting to see how he personally bounces back from these shaky starts, while the rest of the team also looks to turn it around.
The three-game series wraps up at 1:05 p.m. ET on Sunday at the Eck. Sophomore Matt Ternowchek will make his fourth start of the season for the Irish. Ternowchek is 4-2 with a 3.66 ERA, and will also be looking to rebound from a rough start at Pittsburgh last weekend.
It is crazy to think that the BIG EAST Tournament is just a month away for the Irish. After their strongest start to a season in years, the Irish have fallen on tough times, and need a jolt to turn their season around. Although this weekend’s series with Quinnipiac is not a BIG EAST matchup, every win is key at this point of the season. Look for big hitters Eric Jagielo and Trey Mancini to get the Notre Dame offense back on track and into position for a postseason run.
- Baseball. Chance Of Rain Alters Tony Gwynn Classic Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Capitalize In 5-2 Win Over Purdue
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Have Everything To Play For At Boston University
- W. Basketball. Irish Welcome Eagles On Senior Night
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Battle Phoenix to Open Road Trip
- General News. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- Fencing. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- W. Soccer. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
- Football. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Thursday @ndwbb plays Boston College for a share of its 4th regular season ACC title. #TBT to ND's 81-70 win vs Du… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 minutes ago
- 🏀 Which NBA legend does @NDmbb's Elijah Burns want to meet? Get to know Elijah on Inside ND Basketball. 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 20 hours ago
- 🏀 This week the @NDmbb assistant coaches are on the road recruiting. Practice is all Coach Brey. 👀@NDMikeBrey https://t.co/Tee1WaFZQq 1 day ago
- HALL OF FAME: One Step Away @ndwbb coach Muffet McGraw is a finalist for Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. und.com/sports/w-baskb… 1 day ago
- ☘️ @NDHockey Goalie Cal Petersen: 🏒 Tied for 1st in NCAA Shutouts. 💯 @Hockey_East Defensive Player of the Week. und.com/sports/m-hocke… 2 days ago