May 17, 2013, 8:27 AM EST
Since I’ve moved to a new position with the Monogram Club from Fighting Irish Digital Media, I haven’t had much time for blogging or tweeting (don’t worry – there will be a new @NDSportsBlogger soon). However, I’m obviously still listening to music, and Christianne asked me to put together a new playlist for the Fighting Irish Spotify account.
From browsing many of the playlists that teams and coaches have compiled over the last few weeks, I’ve noticed a lot of overlap. (Though trust me, I love Macklemore’s Can’t Hold Us as much as the rest of you).
Last night, I threw together a quick playlist and blog post. I tried to mix it up, combining some songs you’ve probably heard, with a few others that I hope you will enjoy as summer rolls in. Without further ado…
“Cruise (Remix)” by Florida Georgia Line featuring Nelly
Let’s be honest, we could all use a bit more Nelly in our music collection. A country collaboration? Sure, why not?
“The Sound of Sunshine” by Michael Franti & Spearhead and “Peace, Love and Happiness” by G.Love & Special Sauce
If these two songs don’t put you in a summer mood…well, than I guess I shouldn’t have included them on the playlist.
“Up and Away” by Dave Matthews
There’s much more to “Dave” than Ants Marching and Crash Into Me. As he and his band kick off their tour, here’s a summer-y song from his solo album.
“Get Lucky” by Daft Punk featuring Pharrell Williams
The new single from Daft Punk might make you feel like you’ve jumped into a time machine to the ‘70’s.
“Destination Unknown” by Zach DuBois and “(words)” by Pat McKillen
If you’re a current student or recent grad, you’ve probably already heard of these two guys. Both are young alums who performed on campus quite a bit during their time at ND. I worked with Pat a bit last fall when he recorded this Manti Te’o song, while Zach is a friend and fellow 2011 Keenan grad. These are a couple of my favorite tracks of theirs, but I’d highly recommend checking out both albums on Spotify.
“I Lived” by OneRepublic
Back in March, ESPN used a clip of this in its ode to the BIG EAST tournament, and the song was also used in promos for last night’s finale of The Office (Miss you already, Dunder Mifflin). Not to get all sentimental, but it’s a darn good one about seizing every moment. I’m looking at you, Class of 2013. Soak in these next few days.
“Wagon Wheel” by Darius Rucker
If you’ve ever been to the Backer, Finny’s or just about any gathering where Domers are present, there’s no doubt you’ve heard the original by Old Crow Medicine Show. It’s tough to beat that version, but you should still check out Hootie’s take on this classic.
“Iwoya” by Angelique Kidjo featuring Dave Matthews
Fun fact: This feel-good song was featured on The Wild Thorberrys Movie soundtrack (So hopefully my fellow children of the 90’s will appreciate it).
…And below, the entire playlist in one convenient spot. Check it out, and make sure to subscribe to all the other great Fighting Irish lists (including a couple of my favorites, NDWLAX Asst. Coach Get Up List and NDBaseball Batting Practice).
- M. Ice Hockey. Michigan Holds On For 1-0 Victory Over Notre Dame
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Doubleheader Victories Over Indiana, Wright State
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Miami - Five Things To Know
- Baseball. Gilgenbach's Two-Homer Day Takes Series At No. 9 LSU
- M. Tennis. #22 Irish Drop 4-3 Heartbreaker To #20 Blue Devils
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Wrap Last Road Game with 89-55 Win at Boston College
- W. Lacrosse. No. 16 Notre Dame blows by Stetson, 21-7
- Softball. #RV Irish Go 3-1 Versus #14 Minny, #20 UM At B1G/ACC
- M. Golf. Men's Golf to Compete at Prestige at PGA West
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Women Finish 5th At ACC Championships
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- #ICYMI, @NDBaseball earned the series win over No. 9 LSU in the ☝️st games of the year! Take a look back at how th… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 27 minutes ago
- Notre Dame has a long, storied relationship with our United States Presidents and we are proud to honor them today.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- ✅ Most points by an Irish player in an ACC game ✅ Tie program record for made threes in a game ✅ Career high 37 poi… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- A GRAND way to start the season! @NDBaseball beat No. 9 LSU to win the weekend series behind Eric Gilgenbach's ✌️… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 14 hours ago
- #BigMonday is back! After @NDmbb beat Boston College on the road, the Irish return home to take on Monday at 7 p.m… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 15 hours ago