May 29, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
As my media relations cohorts prepare to travel down to Indianapolis to play co-host to the 2013 NCAA National Championship rowing regatta, I can’t help but feel a slight twist of deja vu. In 2012, Notre Dame’s rowing team headed out to the Championship regatta on Mercer Lake in West Windsor, N.J. The Irish were making just their fifth all-time appearance at this special race, and it was their first trip since 2007. Herein now is a look back on last year’s races as the team prepares for this weekend’s races.
After the first day of racing, Notre Dame’s first and second varsity eight boats narrowly missed advancing out of the repechage heats and into the semi-finals of their event. The first varsity eight boat, coxswained by Abby Meyers and consisting of Courtney Gaberino, Morgan Kelley, Stephanie O’Neill, Olivia Kacsits, Ailish Sheehan, Erin Boxberger and Molly Bruggeman, finished 15th in their first race with a time of 7:04.44. In the repechage heat (for all my non-rowers, a repechage heat is similar to a “last-chance” heat; the top three boats in the repechage heat advance into the semifinals of their event), the Irish were off the pace and finished seventh with a time of 7:07.98. The girls settled in for the third final race on Sunday May 27th, and took fourth in their heat (16th overall) at 6:40.33.
In the second varsity eight boat, coxswain Christina Dines, Ingrid Woelfel, Rose Doerfler, Anna Kottkamp, Paige Aiello, Kelsey Haddad, Teresa Blumenstein and Teresa Rubinger finished the prelim race in 14th with a 7:00.60 mark. In the repechage heat, they came exceedingly close to advancing into the semi-finals but sadly finished fourth at 7:01.08, .02 seconds slower than third-place Stanford’s boat. In the third finals race the Irish emerged victorious in their heat, speeding ahead of second-place Cornell in 6:47.00 over the 2,000-meter course.
Coxswain Danni Scheider, Joanna Poinsatte, Kelsey Sekanick, Katie Suyo and Stella Willoughby posted a 7:32.14 mark in the preliminary heat in the varsity four boat before claiming one of three final berths in the semifinal race with their 7:51.50 time in the repechage heat. On the second day they finished fifth in the first of two six-boat heats at 7:21.20. The Irish headed into day three looking to maintain the momentum and secure several points, but sadly finished second in their heat and eighth overall with a time of 7:25.35.
The Irish ended their East Coast trip in 15th place last year, with 20 points next to their name on the scoreboard. While it was an impressive finish for a team five years’ removed from participating in the Championship, those Irish competing at this year’s regatta will not be satisfied with the same results. 17 rowers and three coxswains have spent the past year training and pushing themselves to the brink, and with last year’s experience under their belt, nationally-ranked teams such as Boston University, Cornell, Harvard and Michigan will find the Irish boats tough competition at this year’s races.
- W. Basketball. No. 2 Irish Renew Border Battle with (-/RV) DePaul
- W. Soccer. A Look Back: 2017 Top Moments
- General News. Irish Student-Athletes Celebrate 21st Annual Pediatric Christmas Party
- M. Basketball. #Breyteen - Irish Outlast Butler In Overtime Thriller
- W. Basketball. Three Former Irish Named to 2017-20 USA National Team Pool
- W. Soccer. Yu Named Scholar All-American
- Football. Mike McGlinchey Named 101st Consensus All-American In School History
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Announces Details For Annual NDLaxTV National Coaching Clinic
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ✅ 7️⃣ games with over 💯 rush yards ✅ 9️⃣ TDs ✅ 8️⃣5️⃣-yard TD vs. USC @NDFootball's Josh Adams was named the Of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Time to hoop with the Hoosiers. The #CrossroadsClassic tips off at 2:30 p.m. ET when @NDmbb faces Indiana. 📺 FOX… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- And the winner is... Check out all the award 🏆 winners from @NDFootball's annual awards show, Echoes. ⤵️… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- Out with the old. Tumbling in with the new. Send a volley cheer on high because @NDCheerTeam's new uniforms will… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- Welcome to Indiana basketball. @NDmbb heads to Indianapolis to take on the rival Hoosiers at 2:30 p.m. ET for the… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago