Jun 10, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
After two years the reign of @NDSportsBlogger was passed this morning from Josh Flynt ’11 to new Fighting Irish Digital Media Communications Assistant, Aaron Horvath. Here is his introduction to the Notre Dame blog family…
I did not graduate from Notre Dame.
I’ll give you some time to let that sink in…
Okay, if you decided to leave the page after that opening, I don’t blame you; I don’t trust non-Notre Dame grads either. For everyone else, welcome. First off, I’d like to thank the ‘godfather’ of the @NDSportsBlogger position, Josh Flynt on laying the groundwork for this one of a kind position.
Enough about Josh, he preached his @FightingIrish sermon to the Notre Dame congregation for the past few years, so lets talk about the future of the blog in which you are reading, but before that I’ll bore you with a little about me.
After growing up and going to high school in the shadows of the ‘Golden Dome’, I moved four hours south to Indiana University (Bloomington, Ind.) for school, completing my undergraduate schoolwork in 2011 and I’m currently a candidate for an MBA.
Throughout the last few years I have been fortunate to have many great opportunities with different companies and to meet and work for many great people. Previously I have had the honor to work for Callaway Golf, adidas, Notre Dame Sports Information and most recently, NCAA Division III, DePauw University in Greencastle, Ind.
Aside from working for the man, I fill most of my free time coaching and playing ‘shooty hoops’ and golf and doing what most males in their mid-20’s do: nothing. Just to throw this out there, if you don’t appreciate the use of an obscure pop culture reference every once in awhile, some of my writing and tweets may be amiss.
Now that you really know everything there is to know about me, here is what you can expect from me in the coming weeks, months and possibly years.
In 2013, the ever-changing journalism industry is trying to find it’s footing with more and more of its users finding their stories and information via the Internet superhighway. The problem that is brought forth by this is that everyone can put their opinion out to the world, therefore requiring the reader to sift through information to determine what they believe to be true or not.
Additionally, are the writers you are reading really giving good insight or information? Or are they just regurgitating what a ‘talking head’ on television is saying?
I am making it one of my goals to bring thoughtful, informed discussion into the lairs of the blog network by reaching out to those in coaching or who have an informed insight in the game.
During my tenure in this position I hope I am able to bring you an inside look into Notre Dame athletics with the professionalism of a journalist and the excitement of a fan.
Until next time…
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Comes Up Short Against Hurricanes, 77-74
- Baseball. Gilgenbach Garners ACC Co-Player of the Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Michigan Holds On For 1-0 Victory Over Notre Dame
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Doubleheader Victories Over Indiana, Wright State
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Miami - Five Things To Know
- Baseball. Gilgenbach's Two-Homer Day Takes Series At No. 9 LSU
- M. Tennis. #22 Irish Drop 4-3 Heartbreaker To #20 Blue Devils
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Wrap Last Road Game with 89-55 Win at Boston College
- W. Lacrosse. No. 16 Notre Dame blows by Stetson, 21-7
- Softball. #RV Irish Go 3-1 Versus #14 Minny, #20 UM At B1G/ACC
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 5 @ndwbb brought home a win from its final road trip of the year. Take a behind-the-scenes look 👀 at the Iris… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- ✌️ #Gilgenbombs = ☝️ ACC Co-Player of the Week award for Gilgenbach! @NDBaseball's Eric Gilgenbach hit two home ru… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Matt Farrell’s ready and so are the Irish. Catch @NDmbb vs. Miami, LIVE on #BigMonday at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- #BigMonday is back! After @NDmbb beat Boston College on the road, the Irish return home to take on Monday at 7 p.m… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- We couldn't let #PresidentsDay pass without honoring one of our all-time great alumni, President Jed Bartlet.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 12 hours ago