Jun 11, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
In an attempt to keep all of you Fighting Irish fans in the loop, one of my first orders of business as the new @NDSportsBlogger will be to provide you a morning recap of what stories you may have missed the previous few 24 hours.
On we’re off! (Or as the kids say, #RiseAndGrind)
1. Lets start in pop culture, if you happened to be in the UK (more specifically Manchester) you may have seen this first hand, but evidently international rockstar Jon Bon Jovi has added a piece of flair to his guitar. The flair that put the twittersphere in a tizzy last night? A Notre Dame leprechaun. Your move John Mellencamp.
2. After 765 wins, 12 coach of the year honors, 22 NCAA Championship appearances and 16 conference titles, longtime men’s tennis coach Bobby Bayliss took his final steps into retirement over the past few days. Assistant Athletics Director and Athletics Media Relations Director Bernadette Cafarelli summed up Coach Bayliss’ career rather nicely in this UND.com piece.
3. We will get to american football, but first, the men’s futbol squad put the finishing touches to their 2013 slate yesterday, releasing their schedule to the world. Once again Coach Bobby Clark’s student-athletes will face a handful of top-tier teams including defending NCAA Champion, Indiana, at home on October 2nd.
4. With football right around the corner (three months away), many articles are coming out talking about what to expect this upcoming season. ESPN’s Matt Fortuna once again brings the funk with his list of first-year players to watch, while Frank Vitovitch of UHND.com talks about the accomplishments of Tommy Rees and the expectations of Louis Nix and Stephon Tuitt for this upcoming year.
5. Growing up in the 90’s, whenever I hear of someone being invited to play with the U.S. national team for hockey I get goosebumps. Hendrix Hockey Apparel may not be their apparel supplier and ‘the Minnesota Miracle Man’ Gordon Bombay will not be their coach, but Thomas DiPauli and incoming freshman Vince Hinostroza don’t seem to mind as they have been invited to the U.S. National Junior Evaluation Camp to take place in Lake Placid, N.Y. in early August.
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
By Curt Rallo
By Lou Somogyi
By Sean Stires
- Football. McGlinchey, Nelson Named First-Team FWAA All-Americans
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Up To #3 In Both Polls
- W. Tennis. Robinson Snares First Career Professional Crown
- Cross Country. Irish Signee Dylan Jacobs Wins Foot Locker National Championship
- Track & Field. Irish Signee Dylan Jacobs Wins Foot Locker National Championship
- Football. McGlinchey, Nelson Named First-Team AP All-Americans
- M. Golf. Alum Mark Baldwin Excels at Web.com Tour Qualifying
- M. Basketball. Replay: No Ho-Hum Homecoming for Brey
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Remain Perfect In B1G Play With 6-2 Win Over #12 Wisconsin
- M. Basketball. Offensive Onslaught Propels Irish To 92-68 Win At Delaware
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 6️⃣ first-quarter scorers gave @ndwbb a lead they wouldn't relinquish in a win on the road at Penn on Saturday.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- Go behind-the-scenes of @NDmbb's win at Delaware in the latest episode of Irish Access Extra! #GoIrish https://t.co/L3egE1azLU 8 hours ago
- After sweeping No. 1️⃣2️⃣ Wisconsin, No. 3️⃣ @NDHockey is the only team in the country without a loss on the road.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- For @NDFencing's senior captains Jonah Shainberg and Hazem Khazbak, faith is what builds championship-level bonds.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago
- Matt Farrell's game-high 24 points led @NDmbb to victory in @NDMikeBrey's return to Delaware, the site of his first… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago