Jun 12, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
After yesterday’s exciting day of athletics and activities here on campus and throughout the continental United States, we bring you back for yet another round of Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)
As this daily post matures, I will be adding different features from time to time. My first addition will be the inclusion of a daily trivia question at the bottom of each TIFI with the answer being on the following days post. The question will center around Notre Dame Athletics, enlisting help for questions from some of the more knowledgeable members of the Athletics Department. So good luck!
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Besler Nets Another @USSoccer Cap
Former @NDMenSoccer student-athlete Matt Besler (’09) picked up yet another cap after getting the starting nod from United States Men’s National Team head coach, Jürgen Klinsmann. The US squad is in great shape to qualify after a 2-0 victory over Panama last night.
- 2. Vote Now, Vote Often
Whenever there is a U.S. national team playing, I can’t help but watch, so you are getting a double-dose of futbol today. The Major League Soccer All-Star Game ballots were released yesterday and three former members of the @NDMenSoccer team made the cut. Go vote for Besler, Justin Morrow (’10) and Dillon Powers (’13), unlike the Presidential election, it is encouraged (and legal) to vote multiple times.
- 3. Irish Student-Athletes Winning In The Classroom
The NCAA released another set of multiyear Academic Progress Rates yesterday, and Notre Dame once again led the way. The Irish had 12 athletic squads post perfect scores (1,000), while all teams posted scores of 968 or better. In one of the most widely ridiculed sports for academics, men’s basketball, the Irish posted a perfect score, one of just 12 teams to do so.
- 4. Kelly Cares – Football 101
A group of over 600 women were welcomed by members of the Notre Dame football squad on Tuesday afternoon for Football 101. Football 101 is a program that is put on by the Kelly Cares Foundation to teach women the ins and outs of football, but most importantly, to promote breast cancer awareness, support those in need, fund research and encourage prevention. The series of Kelly Cares events continues today as the Irish Legends Golf Outing takes place in Bridgman, Mich.
- 5. Row, Row, Row Your Boat
Molly Bruggeman and Erin Boxberger each received Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association (CRCA) Pocock All-America recognition for the 2013 season. The Irish duo became the first Notre Dame teammates to earn All-America honors in the same season since 2007, when Amanda Polk (first team) and Allison Marsh (second team) were tabbed with the accolade. Needless to say, Coach Martin Stone’s idea to become environmentally conscious with the use of the erg machines has paid off on the water.
If you have more time to kill at work you may find these interesting, I did…
Manti Meets With the Media (Chargers.com)
Philip Rivers on Manti (LindysSports.com)
The Year In Notre Dame Athletics: Part II (OneFootDown.com)
I will start you all off with one of my all-time favorite trivia questions (by the way, it is very useful at parties and at functions in which you know absolutely no one).
What former Notre Dame football player caught Brett Favre’s record-breaking pass to break Dan Marino’s career completions mark?
You will find the answer in Thursday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Comes Up Short Against Hurricanes, 77-74
- Baseball. Gilgenbach Garners ACC Co-Player of the Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Michigan Holds On For 1-0 Victory Over Notre Dame
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Doubleheader Victories Over Indiana, Wright State
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Miami - Five Things To Know
- Baseball. Gilgenbach's Two-Homer Day Takes Series At No. 9 LSU
- M. Tennis. #22 Irish Drop 4-3 Heartbreaker To #20 Blue Devils
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Wrap Last Road Game with 89-55 Win at Boston College
- W. Lacrosse. No. 16 Notre Dame blows by Stetson, 21-7
- Softball. #RV Irish Go 3-1 Versus #14 Minny, #20 UM At B1G/ACC
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 5 @ndwbb brought home a win from its final road trip of the year. Take a behind-the-scenes look 👀 at the Iris… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- ✌️ #Gilgenbombs = ☝️ ACC Co-Player of the Week award for Gilgenbach! @NDBaseball's Eric Gilgenbach hit two home ru… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Matt Farrell’s ready and so are the Irish. Catch @NDmbb vs. Miami, LIVE on #BigMonday at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- #BigMonday is back! After @NDmbb beat Boston College on the road, the Irish return home to take on Monday at 7 p.m… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- We couldn't let #PresidentsDay pass without honoring one of our all-time great alumni, President Jed Bartlet.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 12 hours ago