Jun 12, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
After yesterday’s exciting day of athletics and activities here on campus and throughout the continental United States, we bring you back for yet another round of Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)
As this daily post matures, I will be adding different features from time to time. My first addition will be the inclusion of a daily trivia question at the bottom of each TIFI with the answer being on the following days post. The question will center around Notre Dame Athletics, enlisting help for questions from some of the more knowledgeable members of the Athletics Department. So good luck!
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Besler Nets Another @USSoccer Cap
Former @NDMenSoccer student-athlete Matt Besler (’09) picked up yet another cap after getting the starting nod from United States Men’s National Team head coach, Jürgen Klinsmann. The US squad is in great shape to qualify after a 2-0 victory over Panama last night.
- 2. Vote Now, Vote Often
Whenever there is a U.S. national team playing, I can’t help but watch, so you are getting a double-dose of futbol today. The Major League Soccer All-Star Game ballots were released yesterday and three former members of the @NDMenSoccer team made the cut. Go vote for Besler, Justin Morrow (’10) and Dillon Powers (’13), unlike the Presidential election, it is encouraged (and legal) to vote multiple times.
- 3. Irish Student-Athletes Winning In The Classroom
The NCAA released another set of multiyear Academic Progress Rates yesterday, and Notre Dame once again led the way. The Irish had 12 athletic squads post perfect scores (1,000), while all teams posted scores of 968 or better. In one of the most widely ridiculed sports for academics, men’s basketball, the Irish posted a perfect score, one of just 12 teams to do so.
- 4. Kelly Cares – Football 101
A group of over 600 women were welcomed by members of the Notre Dame football squad on Tuesday afternoon for Football 101. Football 101 is a program that is put on by the Kelly Cares Foundation to teach women the ins and outs of football, but most importantly, to promote breast cancer awareness, support those in need, fund research and encourage prevention. The series of Kelly Cares events continues today as the Irish Legends Golf Outing takes place in Bridgman, Mich.
- 5. Row, Row, Row Your Boat
Molly Bruggeman and Erin Boxberger each received Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association (CRCA) Pocock All-America recognition for the 2013 season. The Irish duo became the first Notre Dame teammates to earn All-America honors in the same season since 2007, when Amanda Polk (first team) and Allison Marsh (second team) were tabbed with the accolade. Needless to say, Coach Martin Stone’s idea to become environmentally conscious with the use of the erg machines has paid off on the water.
If you have more time to kill at work you may find these interesting, I did…
Manti Meets With the Media (Chargers.com)
Philip Rivers on Manti (LindysSports.com)
The Year In Notre Dame Athletics: Part II (OneFootDown.com)
I will start you all off with one of my all-time favorite trivia questions (by the way, it is very useful at parties and at functions in which you know absolutely no one).
What former Notre Dame football player caught Brett Favre’s record-breaking pass to break Dan Marino’s career completions mark?
You will find the answer in Thursday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- W. Basketball. No. 2 Irish Renew Border Battle with (-/RV) DePaul
- W. Soccer. A Look Back: 2017 Top Moments
- General News. Irish Student-Athletes Celebrate 21st Annual Pediatric Christmas Party
- M. Basketball. #Breyteen - Irish Outlast Butler In Overtime Thriller
- W. Basketball. Three Former Irish Named to 2017-20 USA National Team Pool
- W. Soccer. Yu Named Scholar All-American
- Football. Mike McGlinchey Named 101st Consensus All-American In School History
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Announces Details For Annual NDLaxTV National Coaching Clinic
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ✅ 7️⃣ games with over 💯 rush yards ✅ 9️⃣ TDs ✅ 8️⃣5️⃣-yard TD vs. USC @NDFootball's Josh Adams was named the Of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 59 minutes ago
- Time to hoop with the Hoosiers. The #CrossroadsClassic tips off at 2:30 p.m. ET when @NDmbb faces Indiana. 📺 FOX… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- And the winner is... Check out all the award 🏆 winners from @NDFootball's annual awards show, Echoes. ⤵️… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- Out with the old. Tumbling in with the new. Send a volley cheer on high because @NDCheerTeam's new uniforms will… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- Welcome to Indiana basketball. @NDmbb heads to Indianapolis to take on the rival Hoosiers at 2:30 p.m. ET for the… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago