Jun 13, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
With the U.S. Open in a weather delay, you should have a few extra minutes to read the Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You).
First off, the trivia question from yesterday (what former Notre Dame football player caught Brett Favre’s record-breaking pass to break Dan Marino’s career completions mark?) was first answered correctly by @SubwayDomer. By the way, the answer is Carlyle Holiday.
We will continue to use shout-outs as prizes until we figure out some tangible ‘nifty gifties’ for all of you.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Baseball – Jagielo Picks Up A Check
Former @NDBaseball student-athlete Eric Jagielo signed with the New York Yankees yesterday after being selected 26th overall in the Major League Baseball Draft. Jagielo, the 2013 BIG EAST player of the year, batted .388 with nine home runs.
Here is @NDfidm’s highlight package on Jagielo after he was drafted by the ‘Bronx Bombers’
- 2. Football – Irish Legends Golf Outing
Coach Brian Kelly held his annual Irish Legends golf outing yesterday at Lost Dunes Golf Club in Bridgman, Mich. Everywhere you looked there was some sort of ‘Irish Legend’ walking around, whether it be Coach Lou Holtz or former running back Reggie Brooks, you could find someone you had once admired. The event is set up to help raise money for Coach Brian Kelly and his wife Paqui’s foundation, Kelly Cares. The foundation intends to bring awareness about breast cancer, help those in need and find ways to prevent this illness. One of my favorite parts of the day was seeing that @NDMensGolf alum Max Scodro (@mscodro) was set to take part in the event. If I were a betting man (which I’m not), I would put all my money on his team. It probably has something to do with him having his @PGATOURCanada card…
- 3. Men’s Basketball – The Future Looks Bright
A pair of incoming men’s basketball cagers laced ‘em up last night in the Indiana All-Star game which pits the Senior class all-stars against the Junior class. V.J. Beachem scored 18 points and hauled down four rebounds in 19 minutes of play while McDonald’s All-American Demetrius Jackson notched 12 points, a game-high seven assists and three steals in 20 minutes of play. For all of you that are local to the northern Indiana area, Jackson is the first McDonald’s All-American selection from an active member of the Northern Indiana Conference.
- 4. Football – Kelly Puts A Bow On QB Race
Don’t get me wrong, I would rather not be talking about a quarterback race with over two months to go before the beginning of the football season, but here goes nothing. Tommy Rees is Notre Dame’s starting quarterback. Well that was easy.
- 5. General – Never Forgotten
As some of you may know, although I have just started my ‘reign’ as @NDSportsBlogger, I have been around the Athletics Department since 2009, working in the Athletics Media Relations office. A few months ago I received a phone call that I had been dreading for some time, our executive assistant, Susan McGonigal, had passed. I know what she means to myself and others who worked with me and words will not do it justice, but our friends at NDNation.com do a great job.
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
After speaking with Coach Parseghian at the Kelly Cares Irish Legends Golf Outing yesterday, this trivia question came to mind…
What former football coach is the only coach in history to be inducted into both the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the College Football Hall of Fame? (Hint: The Notre Dame connection is that he was Coach Parseghian’s head coach at Miami-Ohio)
You will find the answer in Friday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Ready For Speedy NCAA Championship Week
- Track & Field. Nathan Richartz Named ACC Field Performer Of The Week
- Softball. Irish And Western Michigan Game Rescheduled For April 17
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Set To Host Michigan In Midweek Matchup
- M. Basketball. Matt Farrell Invited To All-Star Three-Point Challenge
- Baseball. Notre Dame Hosts NIU in Home Opener
- General News. Social Rewind: @ndwbb vs. Villanova - NCAA Tournament
- M. Basketball. Final Words
- Fencing. Kiefer Snares Bronze At FIE Grand Prix
- M. Lacrosse. Sexton And Wynne Named ACC Players Of The Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- After @NDHockey won the Big Ten Tournament title came the celebrations! 🎉 Take an inside look at the Irish win bef… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 6 hours ago
- After @ndwbb advanced to its NINTH straight #Sweet16, @MuffetMcGraw takes you inside the locker room with the Irish… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- "Enjoy this, but there are even more prizes ahead." With a Big Ten Tournament title under their belts, go behind-t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- Before @NDLacrosse takes on Michigan on Wednesday at 4 p.m., take an inside look 👀 back at the top-10 win vs. Virgi… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- The lines are painted. The dugouts are set. The popcorn's popped. @NDBaseball is back, Tuesday at 6 p.m. ET on AC… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago