Jun 13, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
With the U.S. Open in a weather delay, you should have a few extra minutes to read the Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You).
First off, the trivia question from yesterday (what former Notre Dame football player caught Brett Favre’s record-breaking pass to break Dan Marino’s career completions mark?) was first answered correctly by @SubwayDomer. By the way, the answer is Carlyle Holiday.
We will continue to use shout-outs as prizes until we figure out some tangible ‘nifty gifties’ for all of you.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Baseball – Jagielo Picks Up A Check
Former @NDBaseball student-athlete Eric Jagielo signed with the New York Yankees yesterday after being selected 26th overall in the Major League Baseball Draft. Jagielo, the 2013 BIG EAST player of the year, batted .388 with nine home runs.
Here is @NDfidm’s highlight package on Jagielo after he was drafted by the ‘Bronx Bombers’
- 2. Football – Irish Legends Golf Outing
Coach Brian Kelly held his annual Irish Legends golf outing yesterday at Lost Dunes Golf Club in Bridgman, Mich. Everywhere you looked there was some sort of ‘Irish Legend’ walking around, whether it be Coach Lou Holtz or former running back Reggie Brooks, you could find someone you had once admired. The event is set up to help raise money for Coach Brian Kelly and his wife Paqui’s foundation, Kelly Cares. The foundation intends to bring awareness about breast cancer, help those in need and find ways to prevent this illness. One of my favorite parts of the day was seeing that @NDMensGolf alum Max Scodro (@mscodro) was set to take part in the event. If I were a betting man (which I’m not), I would put all my money on his team. It probably has something to do with him having his @PGATOURCanada card…
- 3. Men’s Basketball – The Future Looks Bright
A pair of incoming men’s basketball cagers laced ‘em up last night in the Indiana All-Star game which pits the Senior class all-stars against the Junior class. V.J. Beachem scored 18 points and hauled down four rebounds in 19 minutes of play while McDonald’s All-American Demetrius Jackson notched 12 points, a game-high seven assists and three steals in 20 minutes of play. For all of you that are local to the northern Indiana area, Jackson is the first McDonald’s All-American selection from an active member of the Northern Indiana Conference.
- 4. Football – Kelly Puts A Bow On QB Race
Don’t get me wrong, I would rather not be talking about a quarterback race with over two months to go before the beginning of the football season, but here goes nothing. Tommy Rees is Notre Dame’s starting quarterback. Well that was easy.
- 5. General – Never Forgotten
As some of you may know, although I have just started my ‘reign’ as @NDSportsBlogger, I have been around the Athletics Department since 2009, working in the Athletics Media Relations office. A few months ago I received a phone call that I had been dreading for some time, our executive assistant, Susan McGonigal, had passed. I know what she means to myself and others who worked with me and words will not do it justice, but our friends at NDNation.com do a great job.
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
After speaking with Coach Parseghian at the Kelly Cares Irish Legends Golf Outing yesterday, this trivia question came to mind…
What former football coach is the only coach in history to be inducted into both the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the College Football Hall of Fame? (Hint: The Notre Dame connection is that he was Coach Parseghian’s head coach at Miami-Ohio)
You will find the answer in Friday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- Baseball. Irish Baseball & Softball Season Tickets On Sale
- Softball. Irish Baseball & Softball Season Tickets On Sale
- M. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Wins Over Kentucky, Cleveland State
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame's 16-Game Winning Streak Ends Against Wisconsin
- Fencing. Irish Close Out Weekend With Wins In Philly
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Cruise Past Clemson, 90-37
- M. Soccer. Sunday Brunch: The Riley Era-Long Time in the Making
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish Complete ACC Sweep At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Mooney's Career Day Not Enough In Loss At Clemson
- Track & Field. Shead, Irish race to top-three finishes at Notre Dame Invitational
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- At Notre Dame, head coach Theresa Romagnolo stressed the importance of the #NDFamily. We now wish her well as she… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 56 minutes ago
- No. 1️⃣ @NDHockey No. 1️⃣ @NDFencing No. 5️⃣ @ndwbb Three Irish teams with top-🖐 rankings = plenty of reasons to l… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Life comes at you fast. But sometimes, @NDFootball's Te'von Coney comes at you faster. #GoIrish https://t.co/UdpGzTqlHG 2 hours ago
- After No. 5 @ndwbb earned its largest ACC win in program history, @NDSportsBlogger caught up with Kat Westbeld, who… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- Junior Alex Lebedev moved to 4-0 in his career at No. 1 singles as @NDMensTennis downed Kentucky and Cleveland Stat… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago