Jun 14, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
A big sports weekend is upon us on the professional ranks; NBA Finals game five, game two of the Stanley Cup Finals, The U.S. Open and the Calder Cup Finals (which you will read about shortly).
As we continue to write this blog, we find fun, new things we can add on a daily basis. Today, in addition to our normal humdrum of information and trivia, you will find two new sections in this edition; ‘Tweets I would have responded with ‘Haha’ to’ and ‘Notre Dame Video of the Day’.
Secondly, the trivia question from yesterday (what former football coach is the only coach in history to be inducted into both the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the College Football Hall of Fame? Hint: The Notre Dame connection is that he was Coach Parseghian’s head coach at Miami-Ohio) was first answered correctly by @UHND. The one and only Sid Gillman was the correct answer.
If you don’t feel that the shout-out is the prize you want, no worries, we are working on tangible gifts for winners.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Hockey – Sheahan and Pearce One Step Away From Calder Cup Trophy
Riley Sheahan and Jordan Pearce, former @ND_Hockey student-athletes, are just one win away from bringing home the Calder Cup, the award for winning the AHL title. Sheahan, a member of the Detroit Red Wings organization, is currently third on the Grand Rapids Griffins in playoff scoring, tallying 15 points so far this postseason. Pearce was the Red Wings third goaltender in the playoffs. He played in 31 games for the Toledo Walleye of the ECHL and four in Grand Rapids this season. He was returned to Grand Rapids following Detroit’s second-round ouster from the Stanley Cup playoffs. With a 3-0 lead in the series, Sheahan, Pearce and the Griffins look to finish off the Syracuse Crunch and capture the first Calder Cup for the organization tonight at 7:00 p.m. ET. You can watch the game live and for free at AHL.com.
- 2. Football – Coach Elliott KEEPs On Fighting
In the past few months it came to light that assistant football coach, Bob Elliott, had been performing dialysis on himself on a daily basis due to a kidney illness. After a variety of procedures and a kidney transplant this past february, Elliott is doing all he can to ensure others have the same positive outcome to this illness. In conjunction with The National Kidney Foundation, Elliott is helping promote KEEP (Kidney Early Evaluation Program). The South Bend Tribune’s Al Lesar outlines those in the community local to Notre Dame who are helping and in what ways you can ensure this ‘silent killer’ doesn’t go undetected.
- 3. Football – Did @Matt_Fortuna Get It Right?
A perfect regular season. A BCS Championship Game berth. Beating USC and Oklahoma on the road. Plenty of moments were made from last year’s Notre Dame football season. ESPN.com Notre Dame blogger Matt Fortuna has been going through his top-10 list the past few weeks, with the top moment being released today. Give us your top-10 list in the comment box below or via twitter (@NDSportsBlogger) and we will print some of your thoughts in Monday’s edition of TIFI.
- 4. Football/Baseball – Hunter Drafted, Talks Recovery
Football! Football! Football! More Football! Incoming freshman wideout, Torii Hunter Jr., was injured during an All-Star Game last year which didn’t allow him to play baseball this season for his prep squad. Even though he didn’t play, he was drafted in the 36th-round by the Detroit Tigers (coincidentally, the team his father Torii plays for) yet still is looking forward to suiting up for the Irish on the gridiron.
- 5. General – Notre Dame Notches Another Hall of Fame Honor
For the second day in a row I will go back to my roots and talk about another department here at Notre Dame, the Athletics Media Relations Department. Our fearless leader, Bernadette Cafarelli (or Bernie for people who know her) was inducted into the CoSIDA (College Sports Information Directors of America) Hall of Fame yesterday afternoon after over 26 years in the business. Always thinking about new ideas to better the University she graduated from a few years ago, Bernie has been a stalwart in one of the most well respected media relations office’s in the country. I owe so much of what I have become to Bernie; my work ethic, experience and love of sports information would be nowhere close to where it is without her.Here is a tweet from former Athletics Media Relations Office Intern (@Docta_Scholl) and current Assistant Media Relations Director Michael Bertsch (@NDsidBertschy) showing their support to Bernie.
— Michael Bertsch (@NDsidBertschy) June 13, 2013
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
Tweets to which I would have responded with ‘Haha’ …
This one just made me laugh, not really sure why…
There’s a 41-year-old Notre Dame fan trolling us on Facebook. I got nothing. twitter.com/11W/status/345…
— Eleven Warriors (@11W) June 13, 2013
I know he is a former USC quarterback, but you have to like his sass…
— Matthew Barkley (@MattBarkley) June 13, 2013
Notre Dame Video Of The Day
Video created by 1998 University of Notre Dame Mendoza (Accounting) graduate John Garrett (@JohnGComedy). Garrett is a Certified Public Accountant who worked for PricewaterhouseCoopers upon graduation, only to retire and become a stand-up comic. You can learn more about John at JohnGComedy.com.
In my daily conversation with Notre Dame Hockey Media Relations Director Tim Connor, this gem of a question came up…
With Sheahan and Pearce on the verge of winning the AHL’s Calder Cup, who was the last Irish Icer to take home this championship?
You will find the answer in Monday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Volleyball Unveils 2018 Schedule
- M. Golf. Two Irish Golfers Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Track & Field. Harris Named First Team Academic All-American
- Football. WATCH: Freshmen Move In
- W. Golf. Irish Trio Earn 2018 All-ACC Academic Team Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Brauer Signs With South Carolina Stingrays
- W. Soccer. Challenging 2018 Schedule Announced For Women's Soccer
- W. Basketball. Women's Basketball Nominated for Three ESPYS
- Track & Field. Irish Set To Compete At USA Track & Field Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Announce Incoming Class
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- The #NDFamily is everywhere! 🇪🇸 As @NDLacrosse took in the sights of Madrid, @NotreDame alum Matthew Kineen taught… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 15 hours ago
- 🏀 Best Team ☑️ @ndwbb 🏀 Best Moment ☑️ @ndwbb 🏀 Best Play ☑️ @ndwbb Yep, you know who we're voting for. Give… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 17 hours ago
- 👟 @NDXCTF is lacing up its shoes for @usatf Championships! 8️⃣ current and former Irish track and field athletes a… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 19 hours ago
- 🎤 Tap tap. Is this thing on? Your favorite Irish moments are now LIVE on #IGTV! Follow @ thefightingirish on Insta… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 21 hours ago
- 😎☘️ #FirstDayOfSummer #GoIrish https://t.co/dFx5PZilJS 1 day ago