Jun 20, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
A not so busy day in the world of Notre Dame athletics yesterday as sporting events are few as seasons are wrapping up. Of note, Devereaux Peters (Minnesota Lynx) played 13 minutes, scoring two points and hauling in seven rebounds in a 80-69 victory over the Phoenix Mercury and Pat Connaughton made his last outing for the Harwich Mariners of the Cape Cod League before heading back to Notre Dame, going five innings, striking out seven and allowing only one earned run. Lastly, If you’re bored at work today Skylar Diggins and the Tulsa Shock take on the Chicago Sky at 12:30 p.m. ET.
Our first trivia question in a non-mainstream professional sport turned out to stump everyone (Who was the first Notre Dame men’s soccer player to pick up a ‘cap’ while representing the United States on the men’s (senior) national team?). Answers ranged from Bright Dike to Brian Kelly, one of which played soccer, the other works here on campus… The correct answer was Ryan Miller, a 2008 graduate of the University. Miller played in just one game for the United States, a friendly vs. Chile on Jan. 22, 2011.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Men’s Soccer – Besler Making It Look Easy With U.S. Men’s National Team
Notre Dame has always had a solid men’s soccer program with 14 NCAA Championship appearances and six BIG EAST titles, but they have never had a player play for the United States Men’s National Team in a non-friendly until Matt Besler came along. There have been players before Besler that have played for their national team in International play, Joseph Lapira (Ireland) and Bright Dike (Nigeria). All in all, Besler has played an integral part on the #USMNT backline for the past six games of World Cup Qualifying and in those matches the United States have a 4-1-1 record. Their record and placement within the hexagonal for qualifying gives them a great chance to receive a berth into the 2014 World Cup.
- 2. Football – Irish Positioned Well For The Future
NBCSports’ Keith Arnold looks at how the football team at Notre Dame is set up for the upcoming season and beyond in his article posted yesterday. In football it is more important than in other sports to not just be strong with your older student-athletes, but with your young up and comers as well. The reasoning is that they need to be ready at anytime since the inherent danger of playing the game on your body. Arnold looks at what Notre Dame has and how they could be of service for the team in the future.
- 3. Women’s Soccer – Monica Gonzalez On The Sideline For ESPN During World Cup Qualifying
Have you been watching the #USMNT and Matt Besler on ESPN during World Cup Qualifying? If so, you have probably seen former Notre Dame women’s soccer star Monica Gonzalez roaming around the benches for ESPN as the sideline reporter. The former Mexican National Team captain, Gonzalez is currently a soccer (futbol) analyst for the ‘Worldwide Leader’.
— Monica Gonzalez (@MonicaGonzo) June 19, 2013
- 4. Men’s Golf – Chris Walker, Your 2012 Speed Golf Champion, Huh?
A 2012 graduate of Notre Dame, Chris Walker was a part of two BIG EAST titles and a near NCAA Championship Finals berth. Along with his spotty ‘playoff beard’ with Coach Kubinski, Walker also had a knack for being a pretty darn good golfer as well. Jason Sobel of the Golf Channel recently wrote a story looking at Speed Golf and talks for a few paragraphs about last year’s champion … Chris Walker … This is a must read for those who don’t know what speed golf is, but the rules are simple, your strokes plus your minutes played in the round is your final score. Walker carded a 130 and a 133 in the 2012 championship, what do you think your score would be?
- 5. General – The Smell Of South Bend…
There is not much to be said about this, but reportedly the University of Notre Dame will be releasing its own fragrance prior to the beginning of the football season. What do you think it will smell like? Candle burning at the Grotto? Freshly cut grass? Smell of Paint? Who knows, but this story isn’t over yet.
— oak (@oaknd1) June 19, 2013
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
Tweets to which I would have responded with ‘Haha’ …
The ongoing twitter feud between Coach Kubinski and Max Scodro continues…
Great love for all my friends who are Blackhawks fans. Just don’t know why they Tweet so much more on nights they win. Quiet come Saturday!
— Jim Kubinski (@NDcoachKubinski) June 20, 2013
— Max Scodro (@mscodro) June 20, 2013
Oh @mscodro , I have no Boston heritage, other than it’s the capital of my home state. Was cheering for the Bs 15 years before you were born
— Jim Kubinski (@NDcoachKubinski) June 20, 2013
Louis Nix doing this…
Hip Hop abs commercial motivated me. #GottaStart
— lOUIS NIX III (@1IrishChocolate) June 20, 2013
Former @NDFootball quarterback Dayne Crist figures out a new way to decide if you can handle pressure…
U can learn a lot about a person’s ability 2 handle adversity by observing what they do when faced with a burrito/wrap that’s falling apart
— Dayne Crist (@dcrist10) June 19, 2013
Just watch this … mind blown …
I figure I should continue to give all of you the chance to better get to know the @NDSportsBlogger, so the answer to this question is my favorite Notre Dame student-athlete of all time…
In Coach Bob Davie’s first game as head coach the Irish played Georgia Tech at home, winning 17-13. Who scored the go-ahead touchdown with 2:37 left to win the game for Notre Dame?
You will find the answer in Friday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Hand Buckeyes First Defeat Of Season In 12-7 Victory
- W. Rowing. Irish Compete At Longhorn Invitational
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Prepared to Battle Syracuse on the Road
- Baseball. Irish Fall In 13 Innings To No. 13 FSU
- Softball. Irish Execute Excellently In Twin Bill Sweep Of Virginia Tech
- Track. Meunier, Irish Wrap Day One of Raleigh Relays
- W. Basketball. Irish Elite in Historic Victory Over Buckeyes
- Swimming & Diving. No. 19 Notre Dame Has Solid Third Day at Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- W. Tennis. Irish Rally Comes Up Short In Conference Dual Against Wolfpack
- Football. Rocket Ismail: He’s Lived and Learned
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏒 NCAA TOURNAMENT #4 @NDHockey vs. #1 Minnesota 3:30pm | ESPNU "If we play to what we're capable of, we can beat anyb… 2 hours ago
- 🏒 NCAA TOURNAMENT #4 @NDHockey vs. #1 Minnesota 3:30pm | ESPNU "If we play to what we're capable of, we can beat… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏀 TICKET PUNCHED @ndwbb rides Arike Ogunbowale's career-high 32 points to the #Elite8. ND 99 | Ohio State 76 https://t… 7 hours ago
- 🏀 TICKET PUNCHED @ndwbb rides Arike Ogunbowale's career-high 32 points to the #Elite8. ND 99 | Ohio State 76 https://t.co/vTKmbDZHr8 19 hours ago
- 🏀 8th Straight Sweet Sixteen! @ndwbb battles Ohio State for a spot in the #Elite8. #1 ND vs. #5 OSU 7pm | @ESPN https://t.co/Aov95koF8R 23 hours ago