Jun 21, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT
We are now just hours away from the weekend and I can guarantee that aside from Louis Nix, not many of us will be watching ESPN’s coverage of the Miami Heat NBA Championship. Meaning you will have some extra time to do things outside, watch the Stanley Cup Finals and/or find out what I found interesting the past day or so. Oh yeah, and trivia.
Trivia from yesterday had a personal touch for me as the answer would tell you my favorite Notre Dame student-athlete of all time. (In Coach Bob Davie’s first game as head coach the Irish played Georgia Tech at home, winning 17-13. Who scored the go-ahead touchdown with 2:37 left to win the game for Notre Dame?). @MrMayhem75 is officially heating up after answering his second trivia question correctly of the week. Autry Denson was who you were looking for. In the 17-13 win over Georgia Tech (which also happened to be the dedication game), only two Irish players tallied any points, Autry Denson had 12, who scored the remaining five?… (BONUS TRIVIA QUESTION – Answer at bottom)
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Women’s Soccer – Irish Alums Dominating Television Camera
After Monica Gonzalez roamed the sidelines reporting for ESPN on Tuesday night for the U.S. Men’s National Team match against Honduras, fellow former Irish footballer Kate Sobrero Markgraf had the color commentary duties for last night’s U.S. Women’s National Team friendly vs. South Korea. Markgraf had the opportunity to call a 5-0 United States victory that saw Abby Wambach score four goals, breaking Mia Hamm’s all-time national team scoring mark of 158. In addition to working color for NBC Sports Network, Markgraf was also an analyst for ESPN during the 2011 Women’s World Cup and the 2012 Olympic Games.
- 2. Football – On This Day, Frank Leahy…
Four National Championships, four Heisman Trophy winners and a College Football Hall Of Fame Inductee, Frank Leahy was a man amongst … well … other men, but he was far better at his craft, the numbers don’t lie. 40 years ago today, Leahy passed away. As we always will remember Leahy for what he brought to the University, he also fought for our country and helped those in need.
- 3. Football – What’s In A Number?
One of my favorite pieces of the summer comes from UHND.com’s Frank Vitovitch, who goes far beyond just telling his readers about the numbers. What Vitovitch did was give you the story behind each of the numbers as well. Who previously wore this number? why does he wear that number? What does this number signify? All these questions are answered in Vitovitch’s article. If you’re bored and are a fan of the number three, read this as well.
- 4. Football – ACC Football History And How Notre Dame Falls
Notre Dame is set to start playing five ACC football games per year once the new schedule allows. So what does that mean in terms of teams? Having not been a part of the ACC before July 1, many Irish fans may not know, but the ACC boasts 10 national titles from their current members and have 21 more arriving with new additions, 11 of which come from Notre Dame. The ACC does have some national title experience.
- 5. General – The Smell Of South Bend… (Part Deux)
We talked yesterday about the new cologne/perfume that Steiner Collectibles has partnered with the University of Notre Dame to create. Well here it is…
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
Tweets to which I would have responded with ‘Haha’ …
I guess Coach Kelly brought in some athletes this year, click on the picture below to see what I’m talking about…
— Tyler James (@TJamesNDI) June 21, 2013
Irish Men’s Golf Coach, Jim Kubinski shows off his knowledge of nutrition…
Whatever your "ideal" weight is, studies show those BELOW their ideal weight have longer life expectancy than those ABOVE it. Thin to win.
— Jim Kubinski (@NDcoachKubinski) June 21, 2013
Sorry, I couldn’t resist at least one NBA Finals tweet…
— Michael Appelgate (@mappelgate206) June 21, 2013
I told you Louis Nix was the only one who was excited about Miami’s victory, having a one-man party …
Let’s go with another NBA Finals question, this one is much easier than the previous one from a few days back…
Who was the last Notre Dame men’s basketball player to win the NBA Finals?
You will find the answer in Monday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’ – and Jim Sanson was the answer to the bonus question from above
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps
- Swimming & Diving. Litzinger To Coach In Inaugural ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Soccer. Flores Signs Two-Year Deal with Valencia CF
- Fencing. Kvaratskhelia Named USFCA Coach of the Year
- M. Soccer. Irish Men's Soccer Holding School Supply Drive
- Track & Field. Sunday Brunch: Hoosier Hoops Helped Prepare Sparks for Head Coaching Role
- Track & Field. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach
- Cross Country. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach
- General News. Notre Dame Lands 434 Student-Athletes on ACC Honor Roll
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- The confetti fell 🎉, the national championship trophy's home 🏆, but we need your help one more time. Help @ndwbb b… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 hour ago
- Step on set with the Irish! 📸 🎥 @NDVolleyball sophomore libero Madison Cruzado is taking you behind-the-scenes of… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 hours ago
- ☘️ 👉 🇮🇪 @NDLacrosse alum Conor Kelly is at the @2018WorldLax Championships representing @IrelandLacrosse! #GoIrish https://t.co/bFpVyKbOv1 5 hours ago
- Whatcha got, #NDFamily? @NDLacrosse needs a 🔥 name for their mannequin to display their 🔥 swag! 🗣 Comment below w… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 7 hours ago
- 2️⃣0️⃣1️⃣6️⃣➡️ @NDSoccer visited France 🇫🇷 during the European ⚽️ Championships and sees Croatia 🇭🇷 2️⃣0️⃣1️⃣8️⃣➡️… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 10 hours ago