Jun 25, 2013, 11:34 AM EST
Notre Dame graduate Stan Bowman probably got the best sleep of his life last night, albeit a very short nap, after the Chicago Blackhawks defeated the Boston Bruins in game six of the Stanley Cup Finals, 3-2. Bowman, the General Manager of the Blackhawks, graduated from Notre Dame in 1995 with degrees in finance and computer applications. So congratulations to Stan on capturing his second Stanley Cup as GM!
Monday’s trivia question was so difficult, I didn’t even entirely comprehend what I was asking (To my knowledge, other than Diggins, there is only one other former Notre Dame women’s basketball player with an 11-assist WNBA game. Name her.). The answer was current Penn State women’s basketball coach Coquese Washington, who dropped 11-assists on August 7, 2002 in a game against Orlando. Why was this question so tricky, well it really wasn’t tricky as much as Skylar Diggins now has a pair of 11-assist games under her belt in just her first season of play in the WNBA. Women’s basketball media relation director Chris Masters was my savior on the answer to the question and left me with some awesome quote about a squirrel and not looking in the distance when the nut is right under your nose. Needless to say, I don’t really remember the quote.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Men’s Basketball – Digger Keeps Coaching Amid Cancer Concerns (LINK-SouthBendTribune.com)
Former Notre Dame men’s basketball coach Digger Phelps is continuing his battle with cancer, but not letting it take away his true love, coaching. Over the next few weeks, Coach Phelps will be traveling overseas to coach in the Maccabiah Games. Phelps will be coaching the Canadian team, led by ESPN talent, Dan Shulman.
- 2. Football – Diaco’s Stock Continues To Soar (LINK-UHND.com)
I can give you some quick and snappy retort about how defense wins championships, but we all know that it is tough to win without. Coach Bob Diaco, the defensive coordinator for Notre Dame football team has been a hot commodity on the job market as he continues to improve the Irish defense, now in his fourth year in this position. Diaco, a 1995 graduate of the University of Iowa, captured the 2012 Broyles Award, the honor commonly given to the nation’s top assistant football coach.
- 3. Football – Kap A Worthwhile Investment (LINK-Carroll County Times)
Everyday I write this blog post, I seem to come across a story about how much everyone enjoys, respects and expects greatness out of Kapron Lewis-Moore. Rehabbing from off-season surgery, Lewis-Moore is continuing to blow people away with his hard work and high football IQ. After reading more and more on what Lewis-Moore has done in the off-season, I feel if he continues this way he will be a lock to make the squad, or at least be put on the PUP list until he is completely recovered.
- 4. Track & Field – Huddle Makes U.S. World Championship Squad (LINK-WNDU.com)
Another former Notre Dame student-athlete is representing their country on the international stage. First came Matt Besler playing for the United States Men’s National Soccer Team, then Eric Atkins and Jerian Grant were invited to the U.S. Training Camp for invitation for the World University Games and now former track & field star Molly Huddle has made the U.S. World Championship team.
- 5. Hockey – Hockey Releases 2013-14 Schedule (LINK-UND.com)
The ice hockey squad at the University of Notre Dame recently released their hockey schedule for their first season as a member of Hockey East after leaving the now defunct CCHA. There are many quality teams peppered throughout the 2013-14 schedule including Boston University, Boston College, Western Michigan and Minnesota. We will be bringing you an in-depth look at the schedule in the next few days.
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
Meyer Will Always Work For Holtz (TimesLeaderOnline.com) – A look at the importance that Lou Holtz had on Urban Meyer’s success…
Besler Looks To Make USMNT For Brazil World Cup (HerLoyalSons.com) – A great, off the cuff blog from the guys at HerLoyalSons.com on Notre Dame Soccer Alum Matt Besler…
Ready For Primetime: #3 Bennett Jackson (UHND.com) – Bennett Jackson looks to make strides after a great first season at the cornerback position…
A Look At The 1929 National Championship Squad (UHND.com) – UHND.com gives us another history lesson, this time about the 1929 National Championship season…
Irish Swimmers Heading To U.S. Trials (UND.com) – Three Irish women’s swimmers are heading to the U.S. Swimming Trials in an effort to gain entry into the World Championships…
Scodro’s PGA Tour Journey (PGATOURla.com) – A very interesting piece on Max Scodro’s first full season as a traveling golf professional after graduating from Notre Dame in 2012…
Tweets to which I would have responded with ‘Haha’ …
Did it rain last night? A long day ahead of the grounds crew!
Methinks we should have tarped the field before today? pic.twitter.com/nNI7G6qu7A
— Notre Dame Softball (@NDsoftball) June 25, 2013
Has he won something? Never heard of him…
Not often do you have practice with David Robinson watching. #TheAdmiral. Go IRISH!
— Martin Ingelsby (@MIND2424) June 25, 2013
A WNBA video productions on Skylar Diggins’ first WNBA game…
With Coach Phelps heading overseas to coach in the Maccabiah Games, we thought some sort of ‘Digger’ question would do …
Coach Phelps was a head coach at just two schools in his career, Notre Dame and what other school? In his one and only season at this school, Phelps led them to a 26-3 record and NCAA Sweet Sixteen appearance.
You will find the answer in Wednesday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- M. Soccer. Sunday Brunch: The Riley Era-Long Time in the Making
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish Complete ACC Sweep At #20/25 FSU
- M. Basketball. Mooney's Career Day Not Enough In Loss At Clemson
- Track & Field. Shead, Irish race to top-three finishes at Notre Dame Invitational
- Fencing. Irish Fencers Find Success At St. John's Invitational
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Look to Carry Momentum into Clemson Game Sunday
- M. Ice Hockey. Replay: Irish Hockey Rolls On
- M. Ice Hockey. #1 Irish Down #18 Wisconsin 4-2 For 16th Straight Win
- Swimming & Diving. #22 Irish In Control After Day 1 At #20/25 FSU
- M. Tennis. Irish Romp In 6-1 Victory Over Spartans
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- The nation's top-ranked hockey team, @NDHockey, faces Wisconsin, Sunday at 3 p.m. ET at Chicago's @UnitedCenter.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 12 minutes ago
- In its first game since downing No. 6 Tennessee, No. 5 @ndwbb closes out a three-game homestand with Clemson, Sunda… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 51 minutes ago
- "It's a big venue and a big situation." No. 1 @NDHockey and its program-best 16-game winning streak heads north to… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- The last time @ndwbb hit the court, the No. 5 Irish battled back for a W against No. 6 Tennessee in the fifth best… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- A hug is worth a thousand words. 📸: @ndwbb #NationalHuggingDay #GoIrish https://t.co/Wr0QrMAFag 5 hours ago