Jun 26, 2013, 10:17 AM EDT
So many things to get to and I don’t even know where to start… Okay, ACC and Hockey East official start dates are creeping up on us, Joe Theismann is elected to yet another Hall of Fame, Ruth Riley suits up…again, is ACC lacrosse the new SEC football, I ask somebody questions about Notre Dame football and a great West Wing video (I swear it ties to Notre Dame, not just me wanting to watch my favorite show).
Tuesday’s trivia question pretty much required you to either be: A. Old or B. Like me, crazy. Nonetheless, it wasn’t too difficult (Coach Phelps was a head coach at just two schools in his career, Notre Dame and what other school? In his one and only season at this school, Phelps led them to a 26-3 record and NCAA Sweet Sixteen appearance.). The answer was Fordham.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – New ACC-Laden Schedule Inching Closer (LINK-UHND.com)
Our football team is independent and will be for the foreseeable future due to the new contract and partnership with the ACC. What is involved with that partnerships is a guarantee to play five football games against ACC members per season. So how does the football squad match-up with their new rivals in the ACC? I guess you will have to read the linked story to find out. By the way, there are some pretty good teams in the ACC.
- 2. Men’s Basketball – Indiana Hoosiers Fans Want ND (LINK-ESPN.com)
ESPN.com’s Brian Bennett has been asking fans across the Big Ten what team they would like to see play their favorite school. Today the Indiana Hoosiers answers were posted and besides Kentucky, Notre Dame was next on the list for a non-conference tussle with the Hoosiers. This led me to think about and ponder the question, “As Notre Dame men’s basketball fans, who would we like to see as a non-conference game?” Let me know your answers by commenting below or through twitter @NDSportsBlogger.
- 3. Football – Theismann To Be Inducted Into National High School Sports Hall Of Fame (LINK-NJ.com)
Already a member of the College Football Hall of Fame, Joe Theismann will be inducted into the High School Sports Hall of Fame later this year. Theismann set numerous school records in his time at Notre Dame, was a two-time NFL pro bowler and won a Super Bowl while under center for the Washington Redskins.
- 4. Men’s Lacrosse – ACC Lacrosse Is The New SEC Football (LINK-CollegeCrosse.com)
Something almost all college football fans dislike is the SEC and the hatred comes more from jealousy than anything I’m guessing. My dad is a graduate from the University of Florida, so I’ve grown up around the SEC for my entire life. Come next spring, the entire college lacrosse world may be firing hatred at the ACC and Notre Dame because of the sheer dominance in the conference. You could wind up last in the league, yet be a top-20 team nationally. The ACC will be that good.
- 5. Football – Irish Blogger Gathering – Offseason Edition (LINK-Strong and True)
During the football season, Her Loyal Sons, Inside the Irish, Subway Domer, NDNation and @NDSportsblogger come together to asks one another questions regarding the happenings around Notre Dame football. We decided that we should do an off-season edition to wrap up the spring and look forward to the beginning of fall. Some questions may be out of the ordinary and some answers may not make sense, but it gives another perspective on the greatness that is Notre Dame football.
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
Expectations For The Upcoming Football Season (NewsOK.com) – The South Bend Tribune’s Eric Hansen answers a few questions about the upcoming football season…
Ready For Primetime: #2 Davaris Daniels (UHND.com) – Davaris Daniels looks to have a breakout season with the loss of several key receiving targets…
Brey Helps Out At Youth Sports Camp (WNDU.com) – Men’s basketball coach Mike Brey was out of the office yesterday and in the gym to help out local youths…
Notre Dame Track Family Sends Trio To International Competitions (UND.com) – A Pair of current Irish student-athletes qualify for World University Games while Alum gains berth to World Championships…
Tweets to which I would have responded with ‘Haha’ …
Didn’t laugh at this tweet, but it was one that I definitely enjoyed! A few pieces on Kory’s stop in South Bend coming to the blog in the next few days…
ND Fans, Alums and Students thank you. My time at ND was absolutely Amazing. KMinor#4 was only possible because all of you. #Love ND Nation
— Kory Minor (@Kmine4) June 26, 2013
Ummmm… We are going to need you to come back at some point…
Ive been at UMBC so long I just bought a Tshirt, parking sticker for D Lot & registered 4 a summer course, “Psychology of Talent Evaluation”
— Gerry Byrne (@byrneirish) June 26, 2013
Katie Beirne ’98 was recently named White House Deputy Communications Director, a role that Sam Seaborne played on my favorite show of all time, West Wing. Here is a clip of Sam talking about an issue very close to the national conscience, privacy. Oh, it doesn’t hurt that the fictional president in West Wing is a graduate of Notre Dame…
Ruth Riley saw time with her fifth WNBA team this past weekend when she suited up for the Atlanta Dream so with the help of associate director of athletics media relations Chris Masters, we found it necessary to ask you this…
Who are the five teams that Ruth Riley has suited up for in her WNBA career?
You will find the answer in Thursday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- W. Soccer. Irish Set to Battle #4 Duke
- Football. Notre Dame-Michigan State Preview: Reminisce Then Rally
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Break Competitive Bowling Green Spirit In 2-1 Win
- W. Volleyball. Five Favorite Photos Of The Week
- M. Golf. NCAA Connection Takes Irish Golfer to Haiti
- M. Ice Hockey. Evans To Captain Irish In 2017-18
- Football. Megaphone On The Line For Irish & Spartans
- W. Soccer. Jacobs Nets ACC Player of the Week Honor
- M. Soccer. #2 Irish And #19 Bowling Green Meet Tuesday At Alumni Stadium
- W. Volleyball. Fry Named ACC Volleyball Player Of The Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NCAA: Connection made at college golf event leads Notre Dame junior Miguel Delgado to volunteer trip in Haiti: ntrda.me/2ydiHpi… 16 hours ago
- ☝️#1 @NDMenSoccer took on Bowling Green in a midweek tussle & stayed undefeated (6-0-0) with a 2-1 victory.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Have 60 seconds? Then see the @NDSportsBlogger review the weekend in ND sports with highlights from @NDMenSoccer, @NDVo… 1 day ago
- LIGHT UP #1!!!! After a 5-0-0 start, @NDMenSoccer has ascended to #1 in the @UnitedCoaches Men's NCAA Soccer Poll!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Go INSIDE the locker room as @NDfootball dominated BC, 49-20, racking up 600+ yards of offense in the process.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago