Jun 27, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
A very slow news day yesterday so we had the opportunity to do some research on the new Hockey East, read about the U.S. Under-20 Women’s National Soccer Team, find out that Jerian Grant is a finalist for the World University Games and more.
Wednesdays’s trivia question required a little history and some current knowledge. (Who are the five teams that Ruth Riley has suited up for in her WNBA career?). The answer: Miami Sol, Detroit Shock, San Antonio Silver Stars, Chicago Sky and the Atlanta Dream.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Hockey – Get To Know Hockey’s New Conference Foes (LINK-Irish Underground)
A bevy of Notre Dame sports are joining the ACC next week, but not to be forgotten is the fact that the hockey team is officially part of Hockey East then as well. I had the opportunity to speak with a few people and get their thoughts on each squad that makes up the Hockey East conference. If you are a fan of Irish Hockey or just want to get to know the members of Hockey East, this is a must read.
- 2. Women’s Soccer – Five Irish Footballers Named To U-20 Squad (LINK-UND.com)
Randy Waldrum’s women’s soccer squad has seen five of its student-athletes from next year’s team be invited to participate in the U.S. Under-20 Women’s National Team Camp, easily the most of any college. Katie Naughton, Cari Roccaro, Crystal Thomas, Morgan Andrews and Kaela Little make up the Irish quints that are headed to the University of Portland in Portland, Ore., for the training camp. Naughton, Roccaro and Thomas are among 10 starters and 21 veterans returning for the Fighting Irish this fall. Collectively, this returning group accounted for all 46 goals and 126 of a possible 127 points scored by Notre Dame during the 2012 season. Meanwhile, Andrews and Little lead a stellar incoming freshman class that was ranked third in the nation by Top Drawer Soccer.
- 3. Football – The Draw Of The Irish (LINK-CardiacHill.com)
Albeit the football team will not be a part of the ACC, they will play five squads per year. This is why it is an exciting time for many members around the ACC as they will have the opportunity to play the Irish on a rolling basis in the coming years. For teams like Pittsburgh who regularly schedule Notre Dame it will not be a change, but squads like Clemson, Virginia Tech and Virginia who haven’t had the opportunity to play the Irish in recent memory it will be a great addition to an already stellar conference.
- 4. Men’s Basketball – Jerian Grant Named Finalist For World University Games (LINK-UND.com)
Jerian Grant was named a finalist for addition to the United States squad at the World University Games that take place next month. Grant began three days of training camp at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo., on June 24 with 26 other hopefuls. Training camp continues through June 30 and the 12-man final roster will be set in stone prior to July 1. This year’s World University Games men’s basketball competition will be played July 7-16 in Kazen, Russia.
- 5. Men’s Basketball – Non-Conference Basketball Schedule (LINK-UND.com)
After posting a story from ESPN.com’s Brian Bennett yesterday about Indiana Hoosiers fans and who they would like to see play the Hoosiers in a non-conference basketball game. I then posed the question on twitter to Notre Dame fans on who they would like to see:
— Dan Skendzel (@dskendzel) June 26, 2013
— Chris Wojcik (@Wojcik916) June 26, 2013
— Nick Bucholtz (@Bucholtz31) June 26, 2013
— BayouIrish (@HLS_BayouIrish) June 26, 2013
— Ronald Cubalchini (@cubals) June 26, 2013
— Jeff Tarullo (@jtarullo) June 26, 2013
@NDSportsBlogger I’ll get you a list of all Jesuit colleges in the US. Then strike each and every name from any future consideration. Thanks
— Edward Sorin, C.S.C. (@FatherSorin) June 26, 2013
— Brian (@irish_walrus) June 26, 2013
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
Get To Know Notre Dame Through Jerian Grant (Syracuse.com) – The South Bend Tribune’s Eric Hansen answers a few questions about the upcoming football season…
ACC Matchups We Can’t Wait To See (UHND.com) – Davaris Daniels looks to have a breakout season with the loss of several key receiving targets…
Tweets to which I would have responded with ‘Haha’ …
But isn’t july when astroturf is always installed anyway?
Still grass. pic.twitter.com/EVrZcLRU1t
— oak (@oaknd1) June 26, 2013
J.J. Watt was bigger last time I saw him…
— Tyler Eifert (@EiferTy85) June 26, 2013
With Jerian Grant being named a finalist (top-16) for the World University Games, I thought we should take you back to one of the best moments of his young career.
After interviewing Kory Minor last week, we will have two pieces up on him over the next two days. It got me thinking, Kory has 246 tackles in his Notre Dame career, who has the most…
Who is the all-time Notre Dame leader in career tackles with 521?You will find the answer in Friday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- Football. #8 Irish Hold Off Midshipmen, 24-17
- W. Soccer. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Face Baylor
- M. Ice Hockey. 2019 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic Set For Notre Dame Stadium
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Begin NCAA Journey Sunday Against #20 Wisconsin
- W. Soccer. Irish Use Penalty Kicks to Eliminate No. 2-Seeded Aggies
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Off To Strong Start In Columbus
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Decimates Tar Heels In Straight-Set Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Down RPI 4-1 For Sixth Straight Win
- W. Basketball. No. 6/5 Women's Hoops to Head West on Oregon Trail
- Football. Notre Dame-Navy: Five Things to Watch
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Celebrating Senior Day the best way we know how, on the field with our friends and family. #GoIrish https://t.co/ItoEJgeRWd 9 minutes ago
- That’ll do it from Notre Dame Stadium, where @NDFootball defeats Navy, 24-17! Next up, Stanford. #GoIrish https://t.co/9ytOGrfW8p 1 hour ago
- Proud to stand with our friends from the Naval Academy during their alma mater. Thank you, always, for your servic… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Gold always looks best in the fourth quarter. #GoIrish https://t.co/vbQmCNfrOF 2 hours ago
- Wimbush to Stepherson x ✌️ @NDFootball takes the 24-17 lead with 11:49 left in the fourth quarter! Get to NBC!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago