Jun 28, 2013, 1:07 AM EDT
Lots of exciting stories regarding the NBA took place last night as the 2013 NBA Draft took place at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. Albeit no Notre Dame players were drafted, there were a few connections with some of the top picks; you can read about those connections below.
Thursday’s trivia question regarding some football knowledge was one of the easier ones in recent memory (Who is the all-time Notre Dame leader in career tackles with 521?). The answer: Bob Crable.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Checking In With Kory Minor (LINK-Strong and True)
A 1999 graduate of Notre Dame, Kory Minor hadn’t set foot on campus since 2005. Last week, he returned to the University that he graduated from with a degree from the Mendoza College of Business and accumulated over 240 tackles and 22.5 sacks on the gridiron. During my conversation with Minor I had the opportunity to ask him a variety of questions pertaining his time at Notre Dame, what playing for the Irish was all about and his main takeaway from making the move from California to brisk northern Indiana was.
- 2. Football – Where Are They Now? Randy Kinder (LINK-Irish Eyes)
Ever wonder what happened to former Irish football player Randy Kinder? Well Irish Eyes has your back. In this in-depth interview with Randy Kinder, you get to know what makes him tick, what he has been up to since finishing his career at Notre Dame and his overall thoughts on the Irish.
- 3. Hockey – Irish Icers Hope To Hear Names In NHL Draft (LINK-UND.com)
It seems like just yesterday (okay, it was Monday) that the Stanley Cup playoffs came to an end and the Chicago Blackhawks haven’t even held their championship parade, but now hockey’s attention turns to the National Hockey League Entry Draft. For three current and future Notre Dame hockey players, dreams of playing professional hockey will hopefully come true this Sunday at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. Since 1969, National Hockey League teams have drafted 72 Notre Dame players, including four first round selections – defenseman Ian Cole in 2007 (18th overall by St. Louis), center Riley Sheahan in 2010 (21st overall by Detroit), defenseman Jarred Tinordi in 2010 (22nd by Montreal) and right wing Kyle Palmieri in 2009 (26th overall by Anaheim). Tinordi never played at Notre Dame.
- 4. Baseball – Spano Chasing The Baseball Dream (LINK-TheProvince.com)
Joe Spano never had the best numbers in his time on the bump in the Notre Dame jersey, but someone saw something in the hurler, giving him a chance as an undrafted free agent. Now playing for the Vancouver Canadiens, a member of the Toronto Blue Jays organization, Spano has continued his rise to becoming a better pitcher and a possible candidate for promotion all while working towards a graduate degree from Rutgers.
- 5. Men’s Basketball – Draft Night Connections
There might not have been any Notre Dame men’s basketball players selected in Thursday night’s NBA Draft, but there were many unique facts and a few good tidbits that popped in my head as I watched a few picks. Aside from the three I tweeted out last night that you can see below, the state of Indiana also had a very good showing. Notre Dame’s roster will include four players from the state of Indiana this year; Austin Burgett, Demetrius Jackson, Austin Torres and V.J. Beachem. Last night, four players that called Indiana home for a large portion of their life were drafted; Cody Zeller, Mason Plumlee, Ray McCallum Jr. and Deshaun Thomas. This shows that Coach Brey is starting to make solid inroads throughout the state of Indiana, a place that has always seen a wealth of basketball talent. Here are the other Notre Dame connections I noticed when watching a few minutes of the draft… Oh and before I forget, in the last two years, the men’s basketball team has played 13 of 60 drafted players in games.
— Aaron Horvath (@NDSportsBlogger) June 27, 2013
— Aaron Horvath (@NDSportsBlogger) June 28, 2013
— Aaron Horvath (@NDSportsBlogger) June 28, 2013
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
Senior Trio To Captain Irish Men’s Soccer Team in 2013 (UND.com) – Head coach Bobby Clark announced recently the selection of captains for the men’s soccer teams first season in the ACC.
Pair Of Track & Field.Cross Country Student-Athletes Named Academic All-Americans (UND.com) – Two runners laid claim to academic all-america citations after stellar season in and out of the classroom.
Tweets to which I would have responded with ‘Haha’ …
Well said Golic. #TrollHard
— Mike Golic (@espngolic) June 27, 2013
I don’t think this came as a surprise to many…
Yes, I am a Taylor Swift fan. I said it. Enjoy the music.
— Jim Kubinski (@NDcoachKubinski) June 27, 2013
With the Cleveland Cavaliers having their fourth ‘number one overall pick’ in the NBA Draft, I felt we should go back to their first one in 1971 when they selected Notre Dame’s Austin Carr. Carr, the current color commentator for Cavaliers games, has his number (#34) retired by the Cavaliers and is in Notre Dame’s Ring of Honor.
A Question I posed last night regarding the NBA Draft has created a three-part question for today…
Who was the last Notre Dame NBA Lottery Pick? First round pick? Overall #1 pick? (Three different names)
You will find the answer in Monday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Volleyball Unveils 2018 Schedule
- M. Golf. Two Irish Golfers Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Track & Field. Harris Named First Team Academic All-American
- Football. WATCH: Freshmen Move In
- W. Golf. Irish Trio Earn 2018 All-ACC Academic Team Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Brauer Signs With South Carolina Stingrays
- W. Soccer. Challenging 2018 Schedule Announced For Women's Soccer
- W. Basketball. Women's Basketball Nominated for Three ESPYS
- Track & Field. Irish Set To Compete At USA Track & Field Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Announce Incoming Class
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ✔️ ACC All-American 📚 ✔️ @NotreDame theology grad 🎓 ✔️ NCAA Outdoor Championships competitor 👟 Now, @NDXCTF's Je… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 hour ago
- RT for a chance to win! ☝️ night at the @MorrisInnND ✌️ @NDmbb tickets 🎟 When you come to campus to catch the Iri… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 hours ago
- 9️⃣ new skaters, 1️⃣ stellar freshman class. Meet the new @NDHockey student-athletes you'll love watching on the i… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 hours ago
- The #NDFamily is everywhere! 🇪🇸 As @NDLacrosse took in the sights of Madrid, @NotreDame alum Matthew Kineen taught… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 20 hours ago
- 🏀 Best Team ☑️ @ndwbb 🏀 Best Moment ☑️ @ndwbb 🏀 Best Play ☑️ @ndwbb Yep, you know who we're voting for. Give… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 22 hours ago