Jul 2, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Yesterday was a very ceremonial day in New York City and across the states where the ACC is located. After joining a new conference for the first time since 1995, things are starting to settle down here in South Bend. Hockey also officially joined the Hockey East Association yesterday, after leaving the now defunct CCHA. ‘Things I found interesting’ today are a collection of conference affiliation articles along with UHND.com unveiling their top breakout player for the 2013 football season, CBSSports.com taking a look to see if Notre Dame can make it back to the BCS Championship game and a trade involving Stanford and Syracuse that somehow didn’t involve stencils…
Yesterday we asked about the last time Notre Dame made it to the College World Series in baseball (Back in 2002, when the Notre Dame baseball team gained berth to Omaha for the College World Series, which ACC team did the Irish beat in the NCAA Super Regional to get there?). Notre Dame had to play Florida State down in Tallahassee in the NCAA Super Regional before making it to Omaha.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. General – Swarbrick Talks ACC (LINK-UND.com)
Most you should know by now that the Atlantic Coast Conference added three teams yesterday, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Notre Dame. University of Notre Dame Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick sat down to talk about how the University will fit in the ACC in the following video. Additionally, Associate Athletics Director for Broadcast and Media Relations John Heisler, wrote a poignant essay regarding what to expect in this new time in the ACC.
- 2. Hockey – Hey! We Switched Conferences First! (LINK-UND.com)
This is a busy time on the Notre Dame campus as all of Notre Dame’s athletic teams, except for football enter new eras in new conferences. Yesterday marked the official move of all Irish sports teams – except football and hockey – to the ACC for the coming season. While 24 of the University’s 26 athletic teams join the ACC, let’s not forget that Notre Dame’s hockey program begins a new era, as the Irish become the 11th member of Hockey East, a conference that will celebrate its 30th anniversary during the 2013-14 campaign. For the Irish to switch conferences, there was some shuffling in other areas of the country, UND.com explains.
- 3. Men’s Soccer – The Power Of ACC Soccer (LINK-SouthBendTribune.com)
Leaving the BIG EAST and joining the ACC is a big step for some programs as the quality of competition will rise upon changing conferences, men’s soccer is no different. Coming off of a BIG EAST title and the overall top seed in the NCAA Championship, the men’s soccer squad is looking to make a deep run in the postseason. A tougher conference that requires solid play from top to bottom will definitely challenge the Irish this season as outlined in this South Bend Tribune article.
- 4. Football – Can Notre Dame Return To The BCS Championship Game? (LINK-CBSSports.com)
Notre Dame gained its first berth into the BCS Championship Game after a perfect 12-0 regular season was completed, but can they return? Tony Barnhart joins the Tim Brando show to debate this very topic at CBSSports.com. The long and the short of it, it’s possible, but it is an uphill climb. A very interesting conversation that is worth the listen if you have four minutes.
- 5. Football – UNHD.com’s Top Prime Time Player for 2013 (LINK-UNHD.com)
A great list by the guys at UNHD.com is finally culminating in the #1 ‘ready for prime time’ player for the Irish this upcoming season. According to the guys at UNHD.com, Prince Shembo is the top player ready for a breakout season this year. The combination of his size, speed and the fact that he spends his lunch time hanging out in the @NDFIDM studios are three components of being a breakout player for the upcoming season.
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
The Old ACC vs. The New ACC (WRALsportsfan.com) – The difference between the old ACC and the new ACC is simply three teams are added, but what does the addition of those teams mean for the ACC in whole?
Brey’s Take On Joining The ACC (Chicago Sun Times) – Head men’s basketball coach Mike Brey talks about joining the ACC and his return to the ACC after his eight-year stint as an assistant coach at Duke last millenium.
Mascots Take Manhattan (Fox Sports) – In addition to coaches and former athletes, the ACC members sent their mascots to roam about the ‘Big Apple’ and help create buzz … I think it worked splendidly.
Stanford And Syracuse Make Trade (GoStanford.com) – Trading an intangible twitter handle for some tangible citrus fruits to fill up a trophy … only on the Farm. If you haven’t seen this yet, it is a must read.
Tweets to which I would have responded with ‘Haha’ …
The hatred for the Wolverines continues even after you graduate…
Hitting a draw is like someone deciding to go to Michigan. Good in theory, but it’s just never gonna work out in the long run. #buttercut
— Max Scodro (@mscodro) June 30, 2013
Yeah… Who said Notre Dame doesn’t make the seemingly impossible, possible…
What’s up time square! pic.twitter.com/HBdyK6wRNr
— The Leprechaun (@NDTheLeprechaun) July 1, 2013
This isn’t necessarily a Notre Dame video, but with the strong support of the ROTC here on campus, I’m sure it fits. One of the best videos you will see, a must watch…
Hockey East question today…
Notre Dame dedicated their new Compton Family Ice Arena in a hockey game against Boston College, who scored the game-winning goal for the Irish with just a few seconds left on the clock?
You will find the answer in Wednesday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- W. Rowing. Rowing Ready For NCAA Championship
- Baseball. ACC Championship Marathon Goes To FSU
- M. Tennis. Hagar Weathers First-Round Challenge To Advance At NCAA Singles Championship
- M. Lacrosse. Epple, Perkovic and Sexton Headline Irish USILA All-America Selections
- Baseball. WEATHER UPDATE: ND-FSU At 2 p.m.
- Track & Field. Keys To The Meet: NCAA East Regionals
- W. Tennis. Robinson Named Program's First National Arthur Ashe Award Winner
- Baseball. Irish Embark On Postseason Play
- Football. Drue Tranquill Named To Lott Trophy Watch List
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: NCAA Singles Championship
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 📸 PHOTO OF THE WEEK @NDXCTF 5K runner Anna Rohrer celebrates her 4th ACC title with her mom & @NDcoachSparks. Pre… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- ☘ HEADS UP! 100 Days until kickoff in Notre Dame Stadium. 📆 September 2nd 🏈 @NDFootball vs. Temple https://t.co/5I5jQoBowf 5 hours ago
- ☘ PROGRAM 1ST @NDWomensTennis' Monica Robinson wins the national Arthur Ashe Award for leadership & sportsmanship. und.com/sports/w-tenni… 22 hours ago
- ⚾️ ACC CHAMPIONSHIP BEGINS! #12 @NDBaseball battles #8 Florida State in 1st round of the ACC Tourney. ⏰2pm 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ☘ IRISH IN NCAA TOURNEY Good luck to @NDMensTennis' Josh Hagar at his 1st NCAA Singles Tournament! Wed. | 12:30pm und.com/sports/m-tenni… 1 day ago