Jul 3, 2013, 10:06 AM EDT
So Homer Bailey pitched another no-hitter for the Cincinnati Reds last night, the second in his career. Now that I have the worst segway in history out of the way, Grantland.com’s Robert Mays wrote a great piece on former Notre Dame student-athlete John Sullivan, calling him one of the 22 most ‘underappreciated’ players at the ever pivotal center position. This article is a great start to the day, so read it, you won’t be disappointed (if you like reading that is).
We tried to stump you with a hockey question yesterday and we did (Notre Dame dedicated their new Compton Family Ice Arena in a hockey game against Boston College, who scored the game-winning goal for the Irish with just a few seconds left on the clock?)! The answer: Bryan Rust.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Men’s Basketball – Digger Cancer Free (LINK-USAToday.com)
Former Notre Dame men’s basketball coach and ESPN college basketball analyst Digger Phelps was diagnosed with yet another form of cancer this past year. After going overseas recently to help ESPN compatriot Dan Shulman and his squad in the Maccabiah Games, Phelps confirmed the good news to WSBT news that he is, in fact, cancer free.
- 2. Football – The Evolution Of Louis Nix (LINK-NBCSports.com)
Stepping foot onto Notre Dame’s campus a few years back, Louis Nix was overweight and in his own terms, ‘over his head.’ With hard work and perseverance, Nix will walk off the field on senior day this year on track for graduation and with the ability to give his mom what she has always wanted … to walk with her son in his senior day exercises.
- 3. Men’s Basketball – Irish To Play In Gotham Classic (LINK-UND.com)
The Notre Dame men’s basketball schedule is rounding into shape as we can now add three more teams to the non-conference docket for the 2013-14 campaign. As part of the Gotham Classic that will culminate with a Notre Dame-Ohio State showdown on Dec. 21 at Madison Square Garden, the Irish will also host Delaware, Bryant and North Dakota State at Purcell Pavilion for early rounds of the tournament.
- 4. Men’s Tennis – Adam Schaechterle Named New Irish Assistant (LINK-UND.com)
After the retirement of longtime men’s tennis coach Bobby Bayliss, assistant coach Ryan Sachire was promoted to the head position, leaving the assistant coach slot vacant. It isn’t empty anymore. Yesterday, former University of North Florida head tennis coach Adam Schaecterle was named assistant men’s tennis coach at Notre Dame. Schaechterle, a 2006 Northwestern University graduate in history, comes to Notre Dame from Jacksonville, Fla., and the University of North Florida where he coached for two seasons. During his time with the Ospreys, Schaechterle helped lead UNF to a 34-14 record and the first two berths in the Atlantic-Sun Championship finals in program history among many other accomplishments.
- 5. Football – UNHD.com Looks At The 1930 Football Squad (LINK-UNHD.com)
The guys at UHND.com keep bringing the funk during the offseason, chronicling many historical Irish squads. Today they look at the undefeated 1930 football team and their importance to the University today. This is a must read for any football fan or self-proclaimed Irish football guru.
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
Addition of Irish Softball Boosts ACC (SouthBendTribune.com) – The ACC conference was strong in softball prior to adding Notre Dame. Now the question is, are they the strongest softball conference out there?
New ACC Travel Will Be A Hoot (DukeChronicle.com) – With the new ACC affiliation set in stone, we turn our head towards the upcoming conundrum; how the heck are we going to get everywhere?
WGCA Selects Armstrong (UND.com) – Ashley Armstrong was named to the Women’s Golf Coaches Association (WGCA) All-American Scholar Team for the second consecutive year…
Three Irish Football Student-Athletes Honored (ESPN.com) – Zach Martin, Louis Nix and Stephon Tuitt made Athlon’s preseason all-american teams, a sign of things to come?
Menio Named Army’s SWA (GoArmySports.com) – Former women’s basketball director of operations Stephanie Menio has recently been promoted to assistant athletics director and senior women’s administrator at Army.
Tweets to which I would have responded with ‘Haha’ …
This takes talent… And some time on your hands…
— Notre Dame Softball (@NDsoftball) July 2, 2013
When you can’t find a great tweet to make you laugh or smile, there is always Lou’s account…
— lOUIS NIX III (@1IrishChocolate) July 3, 2013
Here is some more Louis Nix awesomeness for your day…
Reggie Brooks walked in our office today, so we will have a question regarding his ‘stellar’ play when he was actually conscious…
In Reggie Brooks’ senior season at Notre Dame he ran for 1,343 yards and scored 13 touchdowns. In what place did he finish in Heisman Trophy voting?
You will find the answer in Friday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- Football. Notre Dame Stadium: It's a Go
- W. Soccer. Offense Erupts in #18 Notre Dame's 4-0 Win
- Football. Bob Elliott: A Warrior for All Seasons
- Football. Limited Tickets Remain for Irish Football Home Opener Versus Temple
- M. Soccer. #10 Irish, Valpo Clash In Annual Grassroot Soccer Contest
- W. Soccer. #18 Irish, Butler Draw 0-0 In 2017 Lid-Lifter
- Football. EXCLUSIVE: Rockne Heritage Uniforms Unveiled
- M. Lacrosse. Four Irish Alums Set To Play For MLL Championship
- Cross Country. Cross Country Tabs Four Captains for 2017 Season
- W. Soccer. What to Watch: Butler vs. Notre Dame
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 13 Days #13 Pat Eilers scored his 1st & only career TD vs. #1 Miami on the road to… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- ☘ Corbett Family Hall The new building at ND Stadium has: 🔹 Media Center 🔹 Department of Psychology 🔹 Department… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 9 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: So good to see that celebration on the field again, Jaylon! 🎳🏈🎳 👀@thejaylonsmith https://t.co/pLZRbpQDM9 13 hours ago
- So good to see that celebration on the field again, Jaylon! 🎳🏈🎳 👀@thejaylonsmith https://t.co/pLZRbpQDM9 1 day ago
- Welcome back, Jaylon. 👀@thejaylonsmith https://t.co/kV6u5HX9Z8 1 day ago