Jul 5, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
I hope everyone had a great July 4th and had the opportunity to spend some time with their family and friends … safely … Nonetheless, we have a few days of information to catch up on. A former Notre Dame student-athlete makes his professional debut, one gets ready for the toughest job interview and we continue looking at how the Irish will shape up in the ACC.
What I think are some of our best posts since I have came back to work at Notre Dame were posted on Wednesday. First, men’s soccer alum Matt Besler has been a key cog on the backline of the United States Men’s National Team, hear what he has to say about the experience and what the future holds. And lastly, our ‘Connecting With The ACC’ piece that lists a great memory against the specific team and any connections to that school we may have.
We kept the trivia question in the @NDFootball family last week (In Reggie Brooks’ senior season at Notre Dame he ran for 1,343 yards and scored 13 touchdowns. In what place did he finish in Heisman Trophy voting?)! The answer: Fifth. Reggie placed fifth in the Heisman trophy voting, losing to Miami’s Gino Torreta. Brooks was actually the third running back in the top-5 of Heisman voting, behind Garrison Hearst and Marshall Faulk. Congrats to the guys at @UHND for responding correctly first.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Baseball – Jagielo Makes Debut With ‘Baby Bombers’ (LINK-SILive.com)
Former Irish baseball student-athlete Eric Jagielo played his first full game for the Staten Island Yankees, going 1-4 in a 9-1 loss to the Hudson Valley Renegades. Hailing from the Chicago area, Jagielo batted .388 and hit nine home runs in 198 at-bats during his junior year. Jagielo led the BIG EAST in both slugging percentage (.633) and on-base percentage (.500) and was named a semifinalist for the 2013 USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award.
- 2. Men’s Basketball – Cooley Set For Summer League Start (LINK-SouthBendTribune.com)
Recent Notre Dame graduate Jack Cooley is embarking on his professional basketball career after going undrafted in the 2013 NBA Draft. Cooley averaged 13.1 points and 10.1 rebounds during his senior season for the Irish. Cooley will be doubling up in summer league play, suiting up for the Houston Rockets and the Memphis Grizzlies. Play will begin for Cooley on July 7th.
- 3. Women’s Soccer – ACC Will Be Welcomed Challenge (LINK-SouthBendTribune.com)
North Carolina and Notre Dame are two of the biggest, if not the two biggest names in NCAA women’s soccer, combining for about a ‘bagillion’ college cup appearances and 24 national titles (Carolina has 21 of them). Notre Dame’s three titles is second all time in the NCAA annals. This year, the ACC will boast one of the finest regular season conference slates in the entire country.
- 4. Baseball – Crazy Crowds Await Irish Baseball In ACC (LINK-SouthBendTribune.com)
Notre Dame baseball played against the likes of Miami (Fla.), Florida State and Virginia Tech just over ten years ago while Miami and Va. Tech were in the old-old BIG EAST and Florida State in the NCAA Super Regional. This year, they could possibly play all three of those teams once again in the new ‘souped’ up ACC baseball conference.
- 5. Football – Would Rockne Ever Leave Notre Dame? (LINK-OneFootDown.com)
Back in 1924, rumors were swirling about the possibility of head football coach Knute Rockne leaving Notre Dame. Eric Murtaugh at OneFootDown.com looks at the events and happenings that led to Rockne staying in South Bend, but that didn’t happen without some tumultuous times.
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
Fortuna’s Fighting Irish MailBlog (ESPN.com) – ESPN.com’s Matt Fortuna answered a triumvirate of Notre Dame football related questions, including how will the Irish do this year.
Freshman Focus: Mike Heuerman (NBCSports.com) – NBCSports.com looks at incoming freshman Mike Heuerman and what to expect out of him for this upcoming season
Redfield To Get Look At Wide Receiver? (UHND.com) – Could Max Redfield, a prized running back recruit for the Irish, see time at wide receiver for the Irish.
Diggins Finding Her Way (SportsPageMagazine.com) – Three-time Notre Dame all-american Skylar Diggins is finding her way in the WNBA after being drafted third overall by the Tulsa Shock.
Best Fourth of July Tweets …
#USMNT and Sporting KC’s Matt Besler Hanging a flag on the fourth…
— Matt Besler (@mbesler) July 4, 2013
What a great picture…
If you haven’t heard, Notre Dame joined the ACC…
Having the day to watch old school shows on the fourth of July got me thinking…
What young adult did former Notre Dame student-athlete Bob Golic play in, and what was his character’s name?
You will find the answer in Monday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- Baseball. Notre Dame Wraps ACC Tournament Play
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In First Round of NCAA Championships
- General News. Notre Dame Among Leaders in NCAA APR Four-Year Numbers
- M. Basketball. Irish Set To Face Oklahoma In Madison Square Garden
- Baseball. Irish Lose Lead Late, Fall to Miami
- Track & Field. Keys To The Meet: NCAA East Regionals
- Baseball. Tales From the Eck: A Blog by Collin Stoecker
- Track & Field. Alan Turner Will Not Return as Irish Cross Country/Track and Field Coach
- Baseball. Irish Land Three on All-ACC Teams
- Baseball. Tully, Irish Open ACC Tournament Play
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It's about more than just world-class facilities -- and @NDMensGolf has the culture to match it. #GoIrish https://t.co/bBlsdZLxIk 10 hours ago
- Back to the Big Apple! 🍎🏀 @NDmbb is headed back to @TheGarden to face Oklahoma in the Jimmy V Men's Basketball Cla… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ⬆️ That's how many Irish programs earned perfect Academic Progress Rate scores… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 12 hours ago
- 🏅 Midwest Assistant Coach of the Year 🏅 Player to Watch @NDMensTennis brought home ✌️ regional Intercollegiate Ten… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- “It is an honor to be a part of @usabasketball." @NDmbb head coach @NDMikeBrey is headed to the Olympic Training C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 16 hours ago