Jul 8, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
A great weekend of sports just finished and a ton of former Notre Dame student-athletes were in action, from WNBA’ers to the NBA Summer League and the PGA Tour Canada to celebrity softball games and the MLS. Wherever you looked, there was probably a Domer there.
First off, the information you really don’t need but is cool to know. Golden Tate took home MVP Honors yesterday at the Richard Sherman Charity Softball Game after spectacular grabs in the field and bone-crushing hits at the dish. I wonder if anyone knew that Golden played baseball at Notre Dame?
Matt Besler of Sporting KC helped his squad to a 2-1 victory yesterday as his famed long throw-in led to the first KC goal just minutes into the contest. We spoke with Matt last week and you can read all about it here.
Two former Notre Dame men’s golf alums tee’d it up last week for the Dakota Dunes Open on the PGA Tour Canada slate. Two-time BIG EAST Medalist Max Scodro shot a pair of even par 72’s while 2005 BIG EAST Medalist Mark Baldwin missed the cut by a single stroke, firing a 2-under par 142.
In WNBA action yesterday, Devereaux Peters of the Minnesota Lynx scored 7 points, pulled down a season-high 10 rebounds, dropped 3 dimes and swatted 2 shots in a 91-59 win over Phoenix
I stretched all the way back to my childhood for a question last Friday (What young adult did former Notre Dame student-athlete Bob Golic play in, and what was his character’s name?). The answer: Mike Rogers, Saved By the Bell: The College Years.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Former @NDFootball Cornerback Passes Away (LINK-SouthBendTribune.com)
University of Notre Dame graduate and three-year starter at the cornerback position Ted Burgmeier passed away yesterday at the age of 57. Burgmeier, an Iowa native, had been battling health troubles the past few years that were linked to a previous illness. In his senior season of 1977, Burgmeier was a key cog in the Irish rout of USC, 49-19. In a previously written piece by Craig Chval, he encompassed it well in saying, ‘In that unforgettable “green jersey game,” Burgmeier intercepted a pass to set up a touchdown, ran 21 yards on a fake field goal to lead to another touchdown and passed to Tom Domin for a two-point conversion after a bobbled snap from center.’ Read more at the above link.
- 2. Men’s Basketball – Irish Cagers Make NBA Summer League Debut
Four former Notre Dame men’s basketball standouts; Jack Cooley, Tim Abromaitis, Ben Hansbrough and Carleton Scott all made their 2013 NBA Summer League debuts yesterday. The quartet of hoopers each play for different teams, Cooley for the Houston Rockets, Abromaitis for the Boston Celtics, Hansbrough continues to play for the Indiana Pacers and Scott rejoins the Brooklyn Nets organization.
— Aaron Horvath (@NDSportsBlogger) July 7, 2013
— Aaron Horvath (@NDSportsBlogger) July 7, 2013
- 3. Football – Irish Bowling For Cancer (LINK-SouthBendTribune.com) Sam Grewe’s name may not mean anything to you, and until last week it meant nothing to me. Then I sat down with Notre Dame football player Joe Schmidt. Schmidt along with a bevy of his teammates are hosting a charity bowling outing on July 14 at Strikes and Spares in South Bend, Ind., to help raise funds for Osteosarcoma. Our piece of Sam and the Uplifting Athletes campaign will be live later this afternoon. Read more at the above link.
- 4. Men’s Lacrosse – ACC Men’s Lacrosse Tops In Nation (LINK-SouthBendTribune.com) Some have said that the new ACC lacrosse conference is even more dominate than the SEC is in football, and they would probably be correct. From top to bottom you have top-20 teams and four of eight of this years NCAA National Semifinalists are from the new ACC, including both teams in the NCAA Championship Game. So… SEC football how about them apples… Read more at the above link.
- 5. Football – AC Jungle Will Test Irish (LINK-SouthBendTribune.com) Albeit the football squad here at Notre Dame will not be joining the ACC as a member, they have entered into an agreement to play five ACC squads per season on their regular season docket. What does this mean for the Irish and future series with opponents? How will this changes contracts and future Shamrock Series events? Some of these answers are not available quite yet, but are becoming clearer as time goes on. Read more at the above link.
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
From Home To Dome: Mike Franger (ETruth.com) – Mike Franger, former Notre Dame football player is profiled in this local sports hero piece from the Elkhart Truth…
Zeller’s Embrace Fundamentals At Basketball Camp (WISHTV.com) – Former Irish men’s basketball player Luke Zeller and his family are continuing their push to help kids strive for greatness both on and off the basketball court through Distinxion, their family-run basketball and life camps.
Tweets That Made Me Chuckle …
This would have brought an entirely new twist into the Batman: Dark Knight Series…
— uuurielllll (@alouise44) July 6, 2013
Yeah, we all make mistakes…
— Tyler James (@TJamesNDI) July 6, 2013
You never know who or what you will see in South Bend…
Thought the most unique thing about dinner at Chipotle would be seeing @J_Walls and Greg Bryant. Then a Les Miserables flash mob broke out.
— Irish Illustrated (@NDatRivals) July 7, 2013
Glad to hear that this is the fragrance Notre Dame will be selling…
So championships are all that matters? Lets see if you agree…
Can you name the three former Notre Dame women’s basketball players who have been crowned WNBA Champions?
You will find the answer in Tuesday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Looks to Continue Hot Streak in Arizona
- W. Golf. DiLisio Fires Six-Under Par 138 To Take Two Round Lead
- M. Basketball. Irish Increase Win Streak to Five With Victory Over Georgia Tech
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Another Big Run Prods Irish
- W. Basketball. Irish Beat #8 Seminoles to Retain ACC Championship
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Use Huge Second Half to Defeat Michigan, 16-5
- W. Lacrosse. No. 9 Irish Knock Off No. 8 Duke in Conference Opener
- Fencing. Irish Cruise To Third Consecutive Women's ACC Title, Sweep MVP Honors
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Top No. 8 Seminoles to Win ACC Regular Season Title
- Swimming & Diving. Three More Notre Dame Swimmers Likely To Qualify For NCAA Championships
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏅 @ACCTrackField Champion! @NDXCTF's Anna Rohrer wins her 1st individual ACC track title in the 5,000m. 📰… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 minutes ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘️ 5th Straight Win 💯 Longest Active Streak in @theACC Go inside the locker room after @NDmbb's 64-60 win over Georgia… 50 minutes ago
- ☘️ 5th Straight Win 💯 Longest Active Streak in @theACC Go inside the locker room after @NDmbb's 64-60 win over Geo… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 11 hours ago
- ☘️ 3 STRAIGHT ACC TITLES Women's @NDFencing team downs North Carolina 20-7 for its 3rd straight @ACCFencing title. und.com/sports/c-fenc/… 13 hours ago
- 4x ACC CHAMPS! @ndwbb earns its 4th regular season ACC title with 79-61 win vs FSU. ND's won 6 straight regular s… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 18 hours ago