Jul 9, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
We are in the humdrum of summer, watching Abro jam one home in NBA Summer League play and noticing that Rasheed Wallace wore a Notre Dame hat at his first game as a Detroit Pistons assistant coach. That is what goes for a slow news day.
All we care about in this country anymore is championships, so here was yesterday’s question (Can you name the three former Notre Dame women’s basketball players who have been crowned WNBA Champions?). The answer: Coquese Washington won in 2000 with the Houston Rockets, Jacqueline Batteast won in 2006 with the Detroit Shock and the only two-time champion is Ruth Riley who won in 2003 and 2006 with Detroit, claiming Finals MVP honors in the 2003 series.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Men’s & Women’s Soccer – Former Coach, Dennis Grace Passes Away (LINK-UND.com)
One of the few things that is hard to put into words is death. Over the weekend former Notre Dame soccer coach and Indiana Hoosiers player Dennis Grace passed away from a long bout with illness, he was 60. This story has a personal segment to it for me as I not only went to high school with one of his son’s, but played basketball and ended up attending the same school when it was our respective times to go to college. The family was always gracious in everything they did, putting others first. The Notre Dame community lost a great one in Dennis Grace.
- 2. Men’s Tennis – Getting To New Men’s Tennis Coach Ryan Sachire (LINK-UND.com)
Upon the retirement of longtime men’s tennis coach Bobby Bayliss, the University swiftly named then assistant coach and former Irish student-athlete Ryan Sachire as head coach in waiting. The ‘in waiting’ tag was pulled after the Irish bowed out of NCAA Championship play, having already obtained a BIG EAST title in Bayliss’ final season. So now that Sachire is the man at the ‘Eck’, what makes him tick? Notre Dame Media Relations caught up with him to find out more.
- 3. Football – #BowlForSam (LINK-Strong and True)
The third spot will be housed by articles on Sam Grewe reminding everyone about the Notre Dame Football Uplifting Athletes Bowling Event this Sunday at Strikes and Spares in Mishawaka, Ind. If you cannot attend the event and want to donate or just to read Sam’s great story, please follow this link.
- 4. Football – Maxwell, Bednarik Watch Lists Announced (LINK-UND.com)
With the Maxwell and the Bednarik watch lists released yesterday, they are peppered with Notre Dame student-athletes throughout. Bennett Jackson, Louis Nix III, Prince Shembo and Stephon Tuitt adorn the Bednarik Award list, an award given to the nation’s best defensive player while Tuitt and Nix also are a part of the Maxwell Award list, given to the nation’s top player.
- 5. Football – Two Great Games In 2012 (LINK-ETruth.com)
Notre Dame finished the regular season, unbeaten and untied for the first time in ages, gaining berth to the BCS Championship Game. Along the way things were not easy, but there were some great games to watch (albeit some health problems may have arose as a result). ESPN put together a list of the top-25 games of 2012 and the Irish were included on two of those games, can you guess which ones? Click here to find out.
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
Previewing Arizona State Football (SlapTheSign.com) – The famed Shamrock Series game enters ‘Jerry’s World’ in Texas for a showdown with Arizona State. What can we expect from the Sun Devils? SlapTheSign.com lets us know.
Previewing Navy Football (OneFootDown.com) – Yeah, we play Navy every year but that doesn’t mean they go without changing. The guys at OneFootDown.com break down Navy’s 2013 attack.
Tweets That Made Me Chuckle …
I want it to be known that before Mr. Fortuna came on the Notre Dame beat, the Irish were undefeated in BCS Championship Games…
— Matt Fortuna (@Matt_Fortuna) July 6, 2013
Someone isn’t bitter at all…
— Notre Dame Walk Ons (@WOPUnation) July 9, 2013
This is the story of Sam Grewe. To read more take a gander at our conversation with Notre Dame football player Joe Schmidt on Sam.
This is honestly just one of the fun trivia questions I’ve picked up over the years regarding Notre Dame Football…
The Notre Dame-Navy series is a long rivalry steeped in tradition, so I ask. How many games in this series have been played in Annapolis, Md., home of the Naval Academy?
You will find the answer in Wednesday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- W. Basketball. No. 2 Irish Renew Border Battle with (-/RV) DePaul
- W. Soccer. A Look Back: 2017 Top Moments
- General News. Irish Student-Athletes Celebrate 21st Annual Pediatric Christmas Party
- M. Basketball. #Breyteen - Irish Outlast Butler In Overtime Thriller
- W. Basketball. Three Former Irish Named to 2017-20 USA National Team Pool
- W. Soccer. Yu Named Scholar All-American
- Football. Mike McGlinchey Named 101st Consensus All-American In School History
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Announces Details For Annual NDLaxTV National Coaching Clinic
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ✅ 7️⃣ games with over 💯 rush yards ✅ 9️⃣ TDs ✅ 8️⃣5️⃣-yard TD vs. USC @NDFootball's Josh Adams was named the Of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Time to hoop with the Hoosiers. The #CrossroadsClassic tips off at 2:30 p.m. ET when @NDmbb faces Indiana. 📺 FOX… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- And the winner is... Check out all the award 🏆 winners from @NDFootball's annual awards show, Echoes. ⤵️… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- Out with the old. Tumbling in with the new. Send a volley cheer on high because @NDCheerTeam's new uniforms will… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- Welcome to Indiana basketball. @NDmbb heads to Indianapolis to take on the rival Hoosiers at 2:30 p.m. ET for the… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago