Jul 10, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT
Jack Cooley gets to lead us off on today’s ‘TIFI’ because of his stellar play yesterday in NBA Summer League action. Cooley dropped a cool 10 points and snared eight rebounds during the game. If you’re as cool as I am you will have your television switched to NBATV all day today as there is more exciting NBA Summer League games on tap. WOOO SUMMER!!!
We were only 50-some days away from football starting yesterday so a football question was needed (How many times has a Notre Dame-Navy football game been held in Annapolis, Md., on the campus of Navy?). The answer: Zero. Yeah, believe it.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Men’s Basketball – Going Home (LINK-UND.com)
Notre Dame men’s basketball coach Mike Brey spent eight season coaching the Duke Blue Devils in Durham, N.C. He was great friends with the late Wake Forest head coach Skip Prosser. He was built in the ACC. Now Brey is home. Having never thought he would be coaching in the ACC at Notre Dame, Brey is excited for the challenge and looking forward to visiting many of the great arena’s that adorn the Atlantic Coast Conference landscape.
- 2. Men’s Track – Rae Takes Second At International Event (LINK-UND.com)
University of Notre Dame track and field standout Jeremy Rae earned a silver medal for his native Canada in the 1,500m run Tuesday evening at the 2013 World University Games. The four-time All-American took second (3:39.45) in the event, finishing just .06 behind the winner, Valentin Smirnov (3:39.39) of Russia. The time bested Rae’s top collegiate mark of 3:39.92 by .47 seconds, which he set in late May in winning the 1,500m at the NCAA East Preliminary Round.
- 3. Football – #BowlForSam (LINK-Strong and True)
The third spot will be housed by articles on Sam Grewe reminding everyone about the Notre Dame Football Uplifting Athletes Bowling Event this Sunday at Strikes and Spares in Mishawaka, Ind. If you cannot attend the event and want to donate or just to read Sam’s great story, please follow this link.
- 4. Football – Mackey Watch List Announced (LINK-ESPN.com)
Having Mackey Award winner Tyler Eifert leave, you usually wouldn’t find a squad that returns nine career catches boasting great talent at the tight end position would ya? Well the Irish are different. Notre Dame should be called ‘Tight End U’ as they continue to churn out great collegiate student-athletes and professional football players. Anthony Fasano, John Carlson, Kyle Rudolph and Tyler Eifert to just name some from the past decade. Troy Niklas and Ben Koyack are the next two in this long line of great Irish tight ends.
- 5. Women’s Swimming – Reaney Takes On The World (LINK-Irish UNDerground)
Junior swimmer Emma Reaney took to the pool this past month to take part in the Phillips 66 USA Swimming National Championships/World Championship Trials in Indianapolis. She took the time to write about her experiences, the camper who came to support her, her friendship with Ryan Lochte and some stuff about her in the pool. To read more click the link above.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
15 Teams In The ACC Is Enough…For Now (AP) – ACC commissioner John Swofford recently went on the record to talk about the ‘new’ ACC and the future of the ACC.
Tweets That Made Me Chuckle …
Evidently Notre Dame men’s golf alum Max Scodro doesn’t like Michigan, or hitting draws…
Hitting a draw is like someone deciding to go to Michigan. Good in theory, but it’s just never gonna work out in the long run. #buttercut
— Max Scodro (@mscodro) June 30, 2013
Things I think about before finishing off a bag of Jelly Belly’s…
The surprise in this Cracker Jacks box is probably Diabetes. I guess i wont eat them today.
— lOUIS NIX III (@1IrishChocolate) July 10, 2013
Yes, I found video of Ryan Humphrey, former men’s basketball star and first round NBA draft pick. He is ballin’ out on whoever is guarding him.
Just because I just found a Ryan Humphrey video, I had to figure out a question…
Ryan Humphrey swatted 87 shots in his senior season at Notre Dame, a school record. Who is second?
You will find the answer in Thursday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- Fencing. Three Former Irish Fencers Pick Up Team Medals At Senior World Championships
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Continues Academic Success
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Inside The Stadium
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Returns August 5
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Unveils 2017-18 Schedule
- Softball. Cassidy Whidden (B.A. '15, M.Ed. '17) Returns To Irish Softball Fold
- W. Tennis. Women's Tennis Welcomes Back Dasso ('01) As Assistant Coach
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Fan Experience
- M. Basketball. Men’s Basketball - Summer Headlines
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ When you make it to ND Stadium... You'll find signage of historic @NDFootball program covers in the concourse.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- 🇺🇸 2x Olympian ☘ 4x NCAA Champ 🌎 #1 World Ranking Lee Kiefer ('17) leaves her @NDFencing legacy. FULL VIDEO:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- ☘ Navigating Notre Dame Stadium just got a whole lot easier. New signage in the concourse will lead you to your se… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 20 hours ago
- 🏈Countdown to Kickoff: 39 Days #39 Braxston Banks played for @NDFootball’s 1988 NCAA title team. He scored the 2n… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 21 hours ago
- ☘ The view of Notre Dame Stadium from the video board! Ready for 80,000+ @NDFootball fans. #NDBiggerThanBrick https://t.co/lK6hUMxrTG 1 day ago