Jul 11, 2013, 9:35 AM EST
Before we begin, you need to watch former Notre Dame Baseball star A.J. Pollock’s stellar catch in centerfield for the Arizona Diamondbacks yesterday. You don’t even need to search for it, I already found you the link. (CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO)
More NBA Summer League action happened yesterday as Tim Abromaitis and Jack Cooley squared off against one another for their respective teams. Abro got the start for the Celtics, scoring 14 points, pulling down five rebounds, notching two steals and dropping an assist while Cooley scored three points and tallied nine rebounds in 16 minutes of action for the Rockets. Carleton Scott also saw action for the Brooklyn Nets Summer League team earlier in the day, scoring six, grabbing two rebounds and adding an assist, a block and a pair of steals in the outing.
I love trick questions as long as I don’t trick myself too much too much in our daily trivia questions. Yesterday’s trivia question, Ryan Humphrey swatted 87 shots in his senior season at Notre Dame, a school record. Who is second? The answer: Ryan Humphrey. He is first and second on the season blocks list, Jordan Cornette comes in third.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Volleyball – Will History Repeat Itself? (LINK-UND.com)
Notre Dame has one of the best BIG EAST resumes since they joined the conference in 1995, claiming nine championships and five runner-up finishes in that span. Now Notre Dame will be joining yet another conference, one of the strongest in the country for volleyball, but how will the Irish fair? The Irish have had remarkable success against present ACC members, going 78-19 (.804) all-time against the 14 league foes, with winning or .500 records against all but one of them (Notre Dame plays Maryland for the first time on Nov. 1 at Purcell Pavilion).
- 2. Football – From Home To Dome: Tom Eastman (LINK-Elkhart Truth)
Former Notre Dame football star Tom Eastman took the short drive from Elkhart county, one county to the east of Notre Dame, to the campus of the University of Notre Dame to continue his collegiate football playing career. Eastman’s journey to get to Notre Dame is an interesting one as he was once committed to another school and they ran out of scholarships so he then switched his allegiances to the Irish. Read more at the link above.
- 3. Football – #BowlForSam (LINK-Strong and True)
The third spot will be housed by articles on Sam Grewe reminding everyone about the Notre Dame Football Uplifting Athletes Bowling Event this Sunday at Strikes and Spares in Mishawaka, Ind. If you cannot attend the event and want to donate or just to read Sam’s great story, please follow this link.
- 4. Football – Groza Watch List Announced (LINK-ESPN.com)
Breaking a record of a Notre Dame legend gets you noticed, that is just one of many reasons that Irish placekicker Kyle Brindza was named to the Lou Groza Watch List yesterday for the 2013 college football season. The Groza Award is an accolade annually given to the best kicker in the country. Last season Brindza connected on 23 field goal attempts breaking the previous record for made attempts in a year that was held by John Carney.
- 5. General – Way Back Wednesday-2008 Hawaii Bowl Trophy (LINK-Irish UNDerground)
I decided to start a new weekly blog that will be posted every Wednesday entitled ‘Way Back Wednesday.’ This piece will get me out of the office and looking and searching around the athletic department for old relics. After finding something interesting I will write about it and let you guys know some background information on it. Our first post was yesterday, and you can find it at the link above.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
Video Review: Rushing The Passer (One Foot Down) – The guys at One Foot Down break down defensive coordinator Bob Diaco’s pass-rushing scheme.
Bowling For Sam, Part Two (WNDU.com) – Another great piece on Sam Grewe and the Bowling For Sam – Osteosarcoma event this Sunday at Strikes & Spares in Mishawaka, Ind.
Tweets That Made Me Chuckle …
Gosh, sharing a birthday with the royal baby would be a dream come true…
And a very happy birthday to our own @alouise44 … now half as old as her jersey number and hopefully sharing a birthday with the royal baby!
— NOTRE DAME WBB (@ndwbb) July 11, 2013
Needless to say when this happened, my night was finished. By the way, this is not Coach Diaco, it is former Notre Dame Football Media Relations Director Brian Hardin who is now the Deputy Athletic Director at Ball State University (Muncie, Ind.)…
Today’s reminder of the greatest thing that was ever aired on ESPN pic.twitter.com/5SOuC8uVj7
— oak (@oaknd1) July 10, 2013
Zach Martin is a integral cog along the Irish offensive line, the guys at Fighting Irish Digital Media put together yet another great piece for us to watch during these summer months.
So I’ve been told it’s baseball season, so I guess I will ask a baseball question…
Two parter: What 1956 graduate of Notre Dame owns a professional baseball team and what team is it?
You will find the answer in Friday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- W. Basketball. No. 2 Irish Renew Border Battle with (-/RV) DePaul
- W. Soccer. A Look Back: 2017 Top Moments
- General News. Irish Student-Athletes Celebrate 21st Annual Pediatric Christmas Party
- M. Basketball. #Breyteen - Irish Outlast Butler In Overtime Thriller
- W. Basketball. Three Former Irish Named to 2017-20 USA National Team Pool
- W. Soccer. Yu Named Scholar All-American
- Football. Mike McGlinchey Named 101st Consensus All-American In School History
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Announces Details For Annual NDLaxTV National Coaching Clinic
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ✅ 7️⃣ games with over 💯 rush yards ✅ 9️⃣ TDs ✅ 8️⃣5️⃣-yard TD vs. USC @NDFootball's Josh Adams was named the Of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Time to hoop with the Hoosiers. The #CrossroadsClassic tips off at 2:30 p.m. ET when @NDmbb faces Indiana. 📺 FOX… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- And the winner is... Check out all the award 🏆 winners from @NDFootball's annual awards show, Echoes. ⤵️… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- Out with the old. Tumbling in with the new. Send a volley cheer on high because @NDCheerTeam's new uniforms will… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- Welcome to Indiana basketball. @NDmbb heads to Indianapolis to take on the rival Hoosiers at 2:30 p.m. ET for the… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago