Jul 12, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
The excitement of summer continues and as we wind down the Orlando Summer League tomorrow another former Irish hooper is beginning to heat up. Notching his first start of summer league, Carleton Scott scored 15 points on five three-point baskets, pulled down four rebounds and blocked one shot in 32 minutes of play for the Brooklyn Nets.
Next week the Las Vegas summer league begins and we can expect a few more Irish basketball players to participate and we will bring you their performances as they become available.
— NOTRE DAME WBB (@ndwbb) July 12, 2013
I decided that we needed some MLB trivia at some point during the summer sports doldrums. Yesterday’s trivia question, What 1956 graduate of Notre Dame owns a professional baseball team and what team is it? The answer: Larry Dolan, the owner of the Cleveland Indians.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Who Will Bring Home The Hardware For The Irish (LINK-Elkhart Truth)
Louis Nix, Stephon Tuitt, Prince Shembo, Bennett Jackosn, Tommy Rees, Ben Koyack, Nick Martin, Kyle Brindza. These are just a few of the names that we may hear called at award shows this fall for a plethora of different awards. The Elkhart Truth went through a variety of post-season awards to give their thoughts and predictions of who could bring home the hardware.
- 2. Football – Leftover Lunchtime Links (LINK-ESPN.com)
ESPN.com’s Matt Fortuna on occasion puts on lunchtime links that are just a few great reads that will give you something to do for fifteen minutes or so, almost always pertaining to Notre Dame football in some way, shape or form. Not only does he give me a shout out, but also talks about some future scheduling possibilities and some speculation about the Trojans.
- 3. Football – #BowlForSam (LINK-Strong and True)
The third spot will be housed by articles on Sam Grewe reminding everyone about the Notre Dame Football Uplifting Athletes Bowling Event this Sunday at Strikes and Spares in Mishawaka, Ind. If you cannot attend the event and want to donate or just to read Sam’s great story, please follow this link.
- 4. General – Irish Restore The Shore (LINK-UND.com)
A group of Notre Dame student-athletes and the New Jersey Alumni Clubs went to Sayreville, N.J. to help out a neighborhood that his beenn in ruin since Hurricane Sandy. Tasks included a variety of tasks including but not limited to helping with tasks such as cleaning up debris, sorting through the belongings of elderly residents whose houses were flooded by the rains and helping relocate those members of the community whose houses had become unlivable.
- 5. Football – This Week’s History Lesson: 1946 National Championship (LINK-UHND.com)
UHND.com brings the funk once again with their spectacular history pieces, this time about the 1946 National Championship team. The 1946 team was led by the legendary Frank Leahy who had just returned from World War II and they played Army to a stalemate, tying the Black Knights 0-0.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
Coach Kelly Excites Joins Campers In Belleville (NorthJersey.com) – There was excitement in the air in New Jersey yesterday as Coach Kelly joined a group of excited youngsters for a day full of football.
ACC Conference Expanding, So Are Offices (Triangle Business Journal) – With the ACC expanding to 15 teams, that means more work is put on the conference office. What does that mean for the headquarters of one of the nations best conferences?
Fortuna’s Players To Watch: Michigan State (ESPN.com) – ESPN.com’s Matt Fortuna spotlights a key cog on the Michigan State offense and defense that Irish fans should get to know for the upcoming rumble with the Spartans.
Tweets That Made Me Chuckle …
I wonder if this has anything to do with the dorms not having air conditioning…
— NotreDameVolleyball (@NDvolleyball) July 12, 2013
Notre Dame now has someone to narrate videos, karaoke Barry White songs or do the voice for Darth Vader…
— Michael Bertsch (@NDsidBertschy) July 11, 2013
Thanks to Josh Flynt for this dandy, but here is a commercial of mascots from the ACC from 2004 when the ACC last added teams. I’ll let the video explain it all…
I currently have West Wing on the television and they are talking Notre Dame football, so football trivia it is…
What is the only current FBS school that Notre Dame has played 10 times or more and is undefeated against them?
You will find the answer in Monday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- W. Basketball. Allen, No. 5 Irish Cruise Past Boston College on Senior Night
- Baseball. Tony Gwynn Classic Takes Irish To San Diego
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Northwestern
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Honored as Postgraduate Scholarship Recipient
- Baseball. Chance Of Rain Alters Tony Gwynn Classic Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Capitalize In 5-2 Win Over Purdue
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Have Everything To Play For At Boston University
- W. Basketball. Irish Welcome Eagles On Senior Night
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Battle Phoenix to Open Road Trip
- General News. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️PROGRAM FIRST This weekend, @NDXCTF hosts ACC Indoor Track & Field Championships for the 1st time. The team is… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 hour ago
- The Mike Brey Radio Show is LIVE, presented by the experts at Tire Rack. WATCH: UND.com/breyradioshow https://t.co/BA18vIgH8P 3 hours ago
- Thursday @ndwbb plays Boston College for a share of its 4th regular season ACC title. #TBT to ND's 81-70 win vs Du… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- 🏀 Which NBA legend does @NDmbb's Elijah Burns want to meet? Get to know Elijah on Inside ND Basketball. 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🏀 This week the @NDmbb assistant coaches are on the road recruiting. Practice is all Coach Brey. 👀@NDMikeBrey https://t.co/Tee1WaFZQq 1 day ago