Jul 16, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
As people were hitting home runs into the New York sky last night, I posed a Notre Dame baseball question on twitter, “What two former Notre Dame baseball players hit 200 or more home runs in the Major Leagues… It was tough for some, but we had a few right answers. Carl Yastrzemski and Fred ‘Cy’ Williams are the two.
In international basketball news, former Notre Dame women’s basketball player and current Penn State women’s basketball coach Coquese Washington helped lead the United States to a World University Games gold medal finish.
We have a string of Notre Dame baseball trivia questions due to the MLB All-Star Game. Yesterday’s question, former Notre Dame pitcher John Axford has not allowed an earned run in his last five appearances with the Milwaukee Brewers, but what major surgery did he undergo during his time at Notre Dame? The answer: Tommy John Surgery. Big ups to @MrMayhem75 for being the first to correctly answer the question!
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Shoes, A Gateway To The Season
Football season is fast approaching. You want to know how we know? It was adidas shoe issue day yesterday for the Notre Dame football squad and football equipment manager Ryan Grooms and his staff were once again hard at work. See the variety of shoes you will see on the feet of Notre Dame student-athletes this fall below.
— Ryan Grooms (@NDFBEquipment) July 15, 2013
- 2. Football – Eifert Inks NFL Deal (LINK-SI.com)
Former Irish tight end Tyler Eifert raised the median salary of former Notre Dame students a ‘tinch’ after inking a 8.25 million dollar deal with the Cincinnati Bengals. The 2012 Mackey Award winner for the nation’s top tight end, Eifert snagged 140 balls throughout his Irish career, a Notre Dame record for his position.
- 3. Football – Three Irish ‘Backers Named To Butkus (LINK-TheButkusAward.com)
The linebacking triumvirate of Carlo Calabrese, Dan Fox and Prince Shembo were each recently named to the Butkus Award Watch List. The Butkus Award is an accolade annually given to the top linebacker in the country. Last season, the trio of linebackers helped the Irish to a top-10 defensive ranking and a 12-0 regular season record.
- 4. Soccer – Notre Dame Soccer In The ACC (LINK-UND.com)
The Atlantic Coast Conference has now grown to 15 schools within their portfolio of members. In soccer, you will find that the ACC is one of the best conferences in the country both currently and historically. On the women’s side you have the top-two schools in terms of national titles, on the men’s side you find last years number-one overall seed. Click the link above to read a great piece written by Sean Carroll and Chris Masters from the Notre Dame athletics media relations office.
- 5. Football – Arizona State Players To Watch (LINK-ESPN.com)
Matt Fortuna is ready for football action to start this year as he is rolling through his ‘Players To Watch’ feature on each Notre Dame opponent for next season. The Shamrock Series event is a great weekend for the University and the football team alike, and this year they travel down to Texas to ‘Jerry’s World’ to take on Arizona State. The link above will give you a few players to keep an eye on during the Shamrock Series game.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
Impact Freshman #4: Max Redfield (SlapTheSign.com) – Many people haven’t had the opportunity to see many of the great freshman class the Notre Dame staff put together this past year, here is an inside look at one of them, Max Redfield
Counting Down The Irish 25-21 (NBCSports.com) – NBC Sports’ Keith Arnold is counting down the top-25 Irish players on this years roster, it is a great talking point and a large piece of information for football buffs.
Tweets That Made Me Chuckle…
If you don’t remember, Skylar received a Mercedes from her agent…
My agent finally came through with my new ride! Hey sky, u wanna race? pic.twitter.com/57ON3V4b8h
— Muffet McGraw (@MuffetMcGraw) July 16, 2013
Sorry, no short Notre Dame connection, I just found it hilarious…
— darren rovell (@darrenrovell) July 16, 2013
Not really sure why I am posting this except that I love Canada, hockey and maple syrup… Oh and it is entertaining.
Here is another MLB All Star Game trivia question…
Who was the last Notre Dame baseball player to participate in the MLB’s Midsummer Classic (All-Star Game)?
You will find the answer in Wednesday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka
- Fencing. Nelip Snares Silver At FIE Senior World Championships
- Bigger Than Brick. Big Improvements in Game Day Experience
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Recycling Benches
- W. Soccer. Jacobs to Compete with U-23 Women's National Team in Seattle
- Bigger Than Brick. `Going Green' at Notre Dame Stadium
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Comparisons
- Track & Field. Murray Speaks to Write on Sports Campers
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick | Looking Around
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Sends Contingent to NHL Development Camps
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 We've revamped the concession stands at Notre Dame Stadium. 🔹 New Look 🔹 New Food 🔹 New TV Monitors Here's a sn… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- ☘ What's new at ND Stadium? Video Board Concessions Stands Hall of Fame Display Check out the new fan amenities: und.com/sports/biggert… 21 hours ago
- 🏈 ND FACT The old Notre Dame Stadium benches have been repurposed in the stadium & 3 adjoining buildings.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ☘️ NEW SEATING! We decked out ND Stadium with new benches in time for the 2017 season. #NDBiggerThanBrick https://t.co/uUCasQHn3D 1 day ago
- 🏈 STADIUM UPGRADES 100% of the stadium seating has been repurposed or recycled. Check out the new benches.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago