Jul 18, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
I again require you to learn about NBA Summer League action by reading this space, but I have to mention Jack Cooley’s double-double effort for the Memphis Grizzlies. Cooley tallied 20 points and 12 rebounds in a 90-83 victory over the Washington Wizards. Additionally, former BIG EAST player of the year Luke Harangody scored four points and pulled down three rebounds in a victory for his Denver Nuggets over the New Orleans Pelicans.
Additionally, our new weekly feature ‘Way Back Wednesday’ continued into the second week yesterday and we may have peaked way too early. Read about a mysterious football we found laying around the Athletic Department and where it ‘may’ come from. Click here to read story.
Before we get to trivia, remember to watch out for Notre Dame men’s golf alum Max Scodro in the PGA Tour – Canada Players Cup in Winnipeg.
The ESPY’s were last night so of course, we have a question for that! Morgan Andrews took home the Gatorade National Player of the Year Award on tuesday night and was honored at the ESPY’s, who is the only other Irish student-athlete to win the award?
The answer: South Bend, Indiana’s own Skylar Diggins.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Men’s Soccer – Besler Returns To The National Team (LINK-Irish UNDerground)
It was reported late last night by Grant Wahl that former Irish footballer Matt Besler was called to play for the United Stats Men’s National Team for the remaining games of Gold Cup play. You may be asking, why wasn’t Besler on the team from the get go he played so well in World Cup Qualifying!?!?!? Due a rule between the MLS and the United States Soccer Federation, if a player participates World Cup Qualifying, they can’t play in the Gold Cup until after the preliminary rounds. The United States is 3-0 in Gold Cup play thus far after a 1-0 win over Costa Rica on tuesday night. Calling up Besler shores up a backline that has struggled at times and the 2012 MLS Defender of the Year will probably help out just a bit. We previously caught up with Besler, here is that story.
- 2. Men’s Basketball – Martin Inks Professional Contract (LINK-TheJournal.co.uk)
After finishing his career at Notre Dame Scott Martin looks to make a splash in the professional ranks with the overseas squad, the Newcastle Eagles. Martin, a two-time team captain at Notre Dame, leaves South Bend with over 1,000 points scored and a degree from the University.
- 3. Football – Watch Lists Galore! (LINK-UHND.com)
Add more Notre Dame student-athletes to the already growing list of Irish football players on preseason award watch lists as T.J. Jones and DaVaris Daniels were named to the Biletnikoff Award watch list, an award annually given to the best wide receiver for each season. Last season, Daniels caught 31 balls for 490 yards while Jones snagged 50 balls for 649 yards and four touchdowns.
- 4. Baseball/Softball – Irish Entering The Tough ACC (LINK-UND.com)
The Notre Dame Media Relations office is continuing its look at a variety of Irish programs entering the new league. Today we will look at the Notre Dame softball and baseball squads. Baseball will have a tough task, but when they are up to. The ACC is one of the top conferences in the country for baseball and every series will be challenging for the Irish. Notre Dame’s entrance into the ACC softball league truly signals the dawning of a new era in the history of Irish softball. Regular-season conference champions in 19 of its first 25 seasons, with an additional 11 conference tournament titles to boot, Notre Dame set the standard in its now former homes, the Midwestern Collegiate and BIG EAST conferences.
- 5. Football – Navy Players To Watch (LINK-ESPN.com)
Matt Fortuna is ready for football action to start this year as he is rolling through his ‘Players To Watch’ feature on each Notre Dame opponent for next season. The yearly game against Navy is on Fortuna’s docket today as he gives us a few important Midshipmen to keep our eye on come the battle between the Irish and Navy.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
1947 Football National Title Team, Best Ever? (UHND.com) – UHND.com did it again with a great historical piece involving the 1947 football squad, be sure to take some time to read this when you get a chance.
Tweets That Made Me Chuckle…
Jack Cooley, double-double during the day, comedian at night…
@MGolicJR57 apparently the 90’s.
— Jack Ryan Cooley (@JackCooligan45) July 18, 2013
If you don’t understand this tweet, click here…
If AP wins an ESPY and doesn’t say “Orange Peanut for me? I accept you.” It will just be wrong in so many ways. — Gary (@GaryPaczesny) July 18, 2013
I’ll continue the Jack Cooley love fest and give you a Cooley highlight from high school…
We have been talking football award watch lists as of late, so do some football trivia…
Who was the last Irish football player to place in the Heisman Trophy voting on the offensive side of the ball?
You will find the answer in Friday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- W. Soccer. Irish Set to Battle #4 Duke
- Football. Notre Dame-Michigan State Preview: Reminisce Then Rally
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Break Competitive Bowling Green Spirit In 2-1 Win
- W. Volleyball. Five Favorite Photos Of The Week
- M. Golf. NCAA Connection Takes Irish Golfer to Haiti
- M. Ice Hockey. Evans To Captain Irish In 2017-18
- Football. Megaphone On The Line For Irish & Spartans
- W. Soccer. Jacobs Nets ACC Player of the Week Honor
- M. Soccer. #2 Irish And #19 Bowling Green Meet Tuesday At Alumni Stadium
- W. Volleyball. Fry Named ACC Volleyball Player Of The Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NCAA: Connection made at college golf event leads Notre Dame junior Miguel Delgado to volunteer trip in Haiti: ntrda.me/2ydiHpi… 18 hours ago
- ☝️#1 @NDMenSoccer took on Bowling Green in a midweek tussle & stayed undefeated (6-0-0) with a 2-1 victory.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Have 60 seconds? Then see the @NDSportsBlogger review the weekend in ND sports with highlights from @NDMenSoccer, @NDVo… 1 day ago
- LIGHT UP #1!!!! After a 5-0-0 start, @NDMenSoccer has ascended to #1 in the @UnitedCoaches Men's NCAA Soccer Poll!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Go INSIDE the locker room as @NDfootball dominated BC, 49-20, racking up 600+ yards of offense in the process.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago