Jul 19, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Thank goodness it’s Friday, I’m ready for a lazy weekend of watching ‘The Open’ … or as we call it over here, the British Open. To channel my inner Tiger … err … Joey LaCava, I will be caddying for a buddy tomorrow at the South Bend City Tournament. Never take a day off, that is my piece of advice for the day.
So moving to the States from across the pond, the Memphis Grizzlies Jack Cooley went against the fourth-overall NBA draft pick Cody Zeller in Summer League action last night. Cooley notched another double-double, scoring 16 points and grabbing 10 boards in a 92-84 loss to the Charlotte Horncats (if you don’t understand this, I’m sorry…)
To recap our blogs from this week, our new weekly feature ‘Way Back Wednesday’ continued into the second week on Wednesday and we may have peaked way too early. Read about a mysterious football we found laying around the Athletic Department and where it ‘may’ come from. Click here to read story.
Additionally, we revisited the great life of Susan McGonigal, a former executive assistant in the athletic department that succumbed to a long term illness in March. Click here to read the story.
I’m beginning a new rule in regards to trivia questions, if no one responds to the trivia question correctly it rolls over to the next day. A football related trivia question is still lurking at the bottom of the post.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Men’s Soccer – USMNT & All-Star Game In Besler’s Future (LINK-UND.com)
Matt Besler continues to make a name for himself in the professional and international ranks. The former University of Notre Dame All-American has been named an MLS All-Star for the second time and he also has been added to the United States CONCACAF Gold Cup roster for the knockout round. Besler, a Sporting Kansas City central defender, was selected to the Fan XI for the 2013 AT&T MLS All-Star game. The Fan XI received the most votes at their respective positions from combined fan voting on three platforms – online at MLSsoccer.com, via text message, and via Twitter. The MLS All-Stars will play host to Italy’s AS Roma July 31 at Besler’s home stadium, Sporting Park. The match is slated for 9 p.m. (ET) and can be seen live on ESPN2. UPDATE: Here is a new piece just out on Besler from the New York Times (LINK).
- 2. Women’s Basketball – Skylar Adjusting To Summer Gig (LINK-ESPN.com)
We all know Skylar Diggins has been busy since being selected third overall in the WNBA draft this past spring. She has signed her contract, graduated from Notre Dame, received a Mercedes as a gift and sprinkled in some time to play hoops in between. Additionally, Skylar also pens (types in todays terms) a column for ESPN.com that talks about what she goes through entitled ‘Diggins Digital Diary’ … her most recent update was just her thoughts on having a summer job. Click the link above to see what Skylar had to say.
- 3. Football – History Lesson: 1924 (LINK-OneFootDown.com)
In 1924 Notre Dame won its first consensus national title in football and over a series of months transformed the program from a rising powerhouse into America’s most beloved gridiron team. The linked story above is based on true events.
- 4. Men’s Golf – Scodro Looking To Make Cut At The Players Cup (LINK-PGATourCanada.com)
A tumultuous summer has left former Notre Dame golfer Max Scodro looking for answers with his swing due to some missed cuts on the Canada’s PGA Tour. Having seen him play a bit before, I don’t doubt that he will come back to form in the near future. Yesterday, at the prestigious Players Cup, Scodro hit just three of 14 greens yet found a way to keep his round together, firing a three-over 75. Keep up-to-date with Scodro’s round at the link provided above.
- 5. Football – Navy Players To Watch (LINK-ESPN.com)
Matt Fortuna is ready for football action to start this year as he is rolling through his ‘Players To Watch’ feature on each Notre Dame opponent for next season. The yearly game against Navy is on Fortuna’s docket today as he gives us a few important Midshipmen to keep our eye on come the battle between the Irish and Navy.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
Jagielo’s Big Day (SILive.com) – Something I missed the other day… former Irish baseball star Eric Jagielo had a big 3-5 day at the dish the other night for the New York Yankees minor league affiliate, the Staten Island Yankees.
Tweets That Made Me Chuckle…
Huh… I thought we covered this one yesterday morning before Sam’s tweet ever went out… I guess once you finish off a Trick Shot Monday you have rights us mere mortals can’t even dream of…
— Sam Ponder (@samsteeleponder) July 19, 2013
… that’s right we did cover it yesterday …
If you don’t understand these tweets, click here…
If AP wins an ESPY and doesn’t say “Orange Peanut for me? I accept you.” It will just be wrong in so many ways. — Gary (@GaryPaczesny) July 18, 2013
Last but not least, a tweet about Matt Besler being chosen for the United States Men’s National Team in soccer with a quote from manager Peter Vermes (PV)…
PV channeling Spiderman when asked about @mbesler getting called to national team: “With great power comes great responsibility.”
— Sporting Kansas City (@SportingKC) July 18, 2013
With Irish men’s soccer alum Matt Besler being called up for United States Men’s National Team duty, I got the itch to show some soccer. There is some pretty funny behind the scenes footage in this video…
FOOTBALL TRIVIA, lehgo!
Who was the last Irish football player to place in the Heisman Trophy voting on the offensive side of the ball?
You will find the answer in Monday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- Football. Quenton Nelson, Mike McGlinchey Named Preseason Associated Press All-Americans
- M. Soccer. #10 Irish Outrun Valpo 3-0 In Grassroot Soccer Clash
- W. Basketball. Visual Look Back at Ogunbowale's Trip to Tokyo
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Volleyball Season Preview
- Football. Notre Dame Stadium: It's a Go
- W. Soccer. Offense Erupts in #18 Notre Dame's 4-0 Win
- Football. Bob Elliott: A Warrior for All Seasons
- Football. Limited Tickets Remain for Irish Football Home Opener Versus Temple
- M. Soccer. #10 Irish, Valpo Clash In Annual Grassroot Soccer Contest
- W. Soccer. #18 Irish, Butler Draw 0-0 In 2017 Lid-Lifter
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 📚 The first day of classes is complete and our students are home under the dome. Here's to a new school year! https://t.co/vAkGqiGk9K 5 hours ago
- 🏈 INSIDE NOTRE DAME STADIUM Here's a look at the renovated restrooms! #NDBiggerThanBrick https://t.co/gcKD1V4heT 8 hours ago
- ☘ Stadium Updates We renovated the restrooms at Notre Dame Stadium. Check back soon to see the interior!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- ⚽️ ND TAKES DOWN VALPO! #10 @NDMenSoccer downs Valpo 3-0 in annual Grassroot Soccer game. 📽 Highlights https://t.co/5v6zVelR07 14 hours ago
- "We're right where we need to be." @NDSportsBlogger interviewed D-Lineman Daelin Hayes after Sunday's New & Gold G… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago