Jul 23, 2013, 9:31 AM EST
Football season is fast approaching with public sale of football tickets open to the public at 8:30 a.m. this morning. Just 39 days til we officially kick off the football season on August 31st against the Owls of Temple.
I know all of you are on the edge of your seat to see the introduction of the Royal Baby, but more importantly to many members of the Notre Dame staff is the birth of former Notre Dame Football Director of Media Relations Brian Hardin’s twins yesterday morning. A member of the Notre Dame staff for seven years from Coach Weis’ second year to last season’s magical run, Hardin has been an integral part in shaping the message of the football program before moving on to Ball State University (Muncie, Ind.) to become the Deputy Athletic Director.
Congrats Will & Kate on birth of your son. Our twins also born today look forward to the joint bday parties. Buckingham or Indiana in 2014?
— Brian Hardin (@BSUHardin) July 23, 2013
Here are some congratulatory tweets for Brian:
@BSUHardin You need to reach out to Boeheim and discuss the zone cause you jumped right past man-to-man
— Michael Bertsch (@NDsidBertschy) July 22, 2013
— Jen Vining-Smith (@jvs3) July 23, 2013
Yesterday’s trivia question (Demetrius Jackson was honored as a McDonald’s All American this past season, who was the last Notre Dame men’s basketball player to have that honor bestowed upon them and where did they attend high school?) was not answered correctly. Remember, if you want to move on to the next question and get a shout out in the process answer the question correctly. Answer the question by tweeting at me at @NDSportsBlogger. That simple.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame related trivia question will be found at the bottom of ‘Things I Found Interesting’ … we will begin to give prizes for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then ‘shout outs’ will have to do.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Hockey – Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks Coming To ND (LINK-UND.com) The Chicago Blackhawks announced yesterday that the team will open their 2013-14 training camp in Notre Dame, Ind., at the University of Notre Dame on Thursday, Sept. 12. All Blackhawks practices will be held at Compton Family Ice Arena from Sept. 12 through Sunday, Sept. 15, before returning to the United Center on Monday, Sept. 16, for the team’s annual Training Camp Festival.
- 2. Football – Teo’s Jersey Among Rookie Bests (LINK-UHND.com) Apparently Manti Te’o is popular. According to ESPN.com’s Darren Rovell, former Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o’s San Diego Chargers jersey is the top-selling NFL uniform among rookie players. Te’o, a Notre Dame team captain, was the leader of an Irish defense that ranked second nationally in scoring defense, only allowing 12.8 points per game. The senior made 113 tackles and collected seven interceptions. Te’o registered three-straight 100-plus tackle seasons and ranks third in Notre Dame history for career tackles with 437.
- 3. Men’s Basketball – Crossroad Classic To Continue (LINK-UND.com) My favorite event to attend each and every year, the Crossroad Classic at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. The Classic brings together four of the most popular teams in the region between the Purdue Boilermakers, Butler Bulldogs, Indiana Hoosiers and Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Due to being members of the same conference, Purdue and Indiana do not play one another in the Classic, therefore Notre Dame never plays Butler in the event.
- 4. Women’s Basketball – Irish In The ACC (LINK-UND.com)During the month of July, UND.com and Fighting Irish Digital Media are featuring a multimedia series entitled “Irish in the ACC,” giving Notre Dame fans a sneak peek at some of what they can expect in the coming days, weeks and years as a member of the ACC through the eyes of each of the various Fighting Irish sports that will compete in the conference. Today, we take a look at the Notre Dame women’s basketball program, which is among the elite powerhouses in the sport’s history with five Final Four appearances, including each of the past three seasons.
- 5. Football – Everything You Need To Know About Irish Opponents (LINK-Elkhart Truth) Want to know everything about the opponents that Notre Dame will face in the upcoming season? The Elkhart Truth has your back. You literally will learn things you never thought you needed to know, i.e. Bob Saget is a Temple alum, Boston College’s ‘For Boston’ is the nation’s oldest collegiate fight song and more.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
Fortuna’s Players To Watch: BYU (ESPN.com) – Matt Fortuna gives you a pair of BYU players to keep an eye on during their contest with Notre Dame.
Andrews Wins Singles And Doubles Title (UND.com) – University of Notre Dame standout Greg Andrews won titles in singles and doubles this weekend at an ITA Summer Circuit event at the Courtney Tennis Center and the Eck Tennis Pavilion.
Mabrey Ready If Her Number Is Called (SouthBendTribune.com) – SBT’s Curt Rallo talks with Michaela Mabrey about her upcoming season and what her expectations for herself and her team are.
Tweet That Made Me Chuckle…
It is AYOP week at Notre Dame this week and it is quite interesting to say the least. I found a video link of what it is here.
so much hair spray and curling wands in the JACC….. #twirlersontwirlers
— Natalie Achonwa (@NatAchon) July 23, 2013
Probably the thing I am most excited about since coming back to Notre Dame has been the opportunity to meet Grant & Max of Grant & Max 1080… Here is one of their episodes… (This is a joke…kinda)
Trivia question holdover: Since the incoming freshmen men’s basketball players came to visit the Fighting Irish Digital Media workspace last week we will use them as a starting point for today’s question…
Demetrius Jackson was honored as a McDonald’s All American this past season, who was the last Notre Dame men’s basketball player to have that honor bestowed upon them and where did they attend high school?
You will find the answer in Wednesday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- Football. #8 Irish Hold Off Midshipmen, 24-17
- W. Soccer. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Face Baylor
- M. Ice Hockey. 2019 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic Set For Notre Dame Stadium
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Begin NCAA Journey Sunday Against #20 Wisconsin
- W. Soccer. Irish Use Penalty Kicks to Eliminate No. 2-Seeded Aggies
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Off To Strong Start In Columbus
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Decimates Tar Heels In Straight-Set Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Down RPI 4-1 For Sixth Straight Win
- W. Basketball. No. 6/5 Women's Hoops to Head West on Oregon Trail
- Football. Notre Dame-Navy: Five Things to Watch
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Celebrating Senior Day the best way we know how, on the field with our friends and family. #GoIrish https://t.co/ItoEJgeRWd 7 minutes ago
- That’ll do it from Notre Dame Stadium, where @NDFootball defeats Navy, 24-17! Next up, Stanford. #GoIrish https://t.co/9ytOGrfW8p 1 hour ago
- Proud to stand with our friends from the Naval Academy during their alma mater. Thank you, always, for your servic… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Gold always looks best in the fourth quarter. #GoIrish https://t.co/vbQmCNfrOF 2 hours ago
- Wimbush to Stepherson x ✌️ @NDFootball takes the 24-17 lead with 11:49 left in the fourth quarter! Get to NBC!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago