Jul 24, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
We had some fun news dropped in our laps yesterday about do everything lineman Louis Nix III. Evidently, last week he was at the local Sam’s Club (presumably purchasing health food in bulk) and helped out a local citizen who want to tell everyone about it, because they emailed a friend who then forwarded it on to someone within our department. You can read all about it here.
I will talk more about this below, but remember that Notre Dame men’s soccer alum Matt Besler and the United States Men’s National Team take to the field tonight against Honduras in a semifinal showdown for the CONCACAF Gold Cup. The match is slated to begin at 7 p.m. ET in Cowboys Stadium, you can watch the match on FOX Soccer, UniMas and the Univision Deportes Network.
We have finally received a correct answer for yesterday’s trivia question (Demetrius Jackson was honored as a McDonald’s All American this past season, who was the last Notre Dame men’s basketball player to have that honor bestowed upon them and where did they attend high school?). Big ups to @MLevy60 for correctly answering Luke Zeller from Washington High School in Indiana. Actually three of the last four McDonald’s All-American’s that have come to Notre Dame called Indiana home as Chris Thomas from Pike High School in Indianapolis started the trend in 2001, followed by Zeller in 2005 and now Jackson.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame related trivia question will be found at the bottom of ‘Things I Found Interesting’ … we will begin to give prizes for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then ‘shout outs’ will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry, I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Men’s Soccer – Besler, USMNT In CONCACAF Gold Cup Semis (LINK-USSoccer.com)
Former Notre Dame men’s soccer standout Matt Besler ’09 looks to continue his play on the staunch American back line as the USMNT takes to the pitch to take on Honduras in the semifinals of the CONCACAF Gold Cup tonight at 7 p.m. ET. You watch all the coverage on Fox Soccer Channel, UniMas or the Univision Deportes Network. Besler has been getting much deserved love lately from not just the local community surrounding his club team (Sporting KC of the MLS) but also national headlines. Here are a few links to some Besler stories have recently been written:
Besler Elbows His Way Onto US Team (New York Times)
Once An Unexpected Addition, Besler Now a Mainstay On US Team (Sports Illustrated)
Playing For Uncle Sam’s Army (Irish UNDerground)
- 2. Hockey – Irish To Host 2014 Ice Breaker Tourney (LINK-UND.com)
The Notre Dame Fighting Irish will get an early start to the 2014-15 hockey season as they will play host to the 2014 Ice Breaker Tournament at the Compton Family Ice Arena in Oct. of 2014. The announcement came today by College Hockey Inc., who manages the tournament on behalf of the Hockey Commissioners Association (HCA). College Hockey Inc., also announced that the University of Maine would play host in 2015 at the Cumberland County Civic Center in Portland, Maine. The teams participating in the 2014 event are Minnesota, Minnesota Duluth, RPI and the host Irish.
- 3. Women’s Basketball – Loyd Looking To Step Up (LINK-SouthBendTribune.com)
Rising Sophomore Jewell Loyd looks to make an even bigger splash this season after scoring 12.5 points and pulling down 5.2 rebounds per game. A position that she may be on track to play this season is point guard, a spot that was left empty by the graduation of three-time all-american Skylar Diggins. Curt Rallo talks about Loyd’s off-season improvements in the article linked above.
- 4. Football – Toma Signs With Cardinals (LINK-BostonHerald.com)
Former Notre Dame wideout Robby Toma has recently accepted the opportunity to work with the Arizona Cardinals upon the start of training camp. With his signing by the Cardinals, he will join former Notre Dame student-athlete Michael Floyd in the receiving corps in Glendale, Ariz. The Cardinals did not finish the NFL season well last year, going 5-11. You can read more about Toma’s signing in the AP story on BostonHerald.com above.
- 5. Football – Notre Dame Returning To Ireland (LINK-UHND.com)
We all know that last years game in Dulbin against Navy was a success, but will Notre Dame football venture over there again? Will it be played in Croke Park this time? Who knows… but the guys at UHND.com have speculated what could happen as they have put together a nice piece on the pros of returning overseas and what could be in store in the future of Notre Dame scheduling.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
Fortuna’s Players To Watch: Stanford (ESPN.com) – Matt Fortuna gives you a pair of Stanford players to keep an eye on during their contest with Notre Dame.
Coyne Joins Dartmouth Women’s Lax Staff (Valley News) – Tracy Coyne, the winningest Irish women’s lacrosse coach of all time has accepted a position with the Dartmouth women’s lacrosse squad for the upcoming season.
Fortuna’s Top-25 Player Countdown (ESPN.com) – ESPN.com’s Matt Fortuna released the first player on his yearly top-25 Notre Dame football player countdown.
Tweet That Made Me Chuckle…
It is AYOP week at Notre Dame this week and it is quite interesting to say the least, I guarantee you most of this weeks tweets will be of the AYOP variety. I found a video link of what AYOP is here.
What happens when baton twirlers take over your arena and the fire alarm goes off? Ill tell you.. Complete chaos with sticks
— Patrick Connaughton (@PlanePat24) July 24, 2013
If this doesn’t hype you up for the football season, I don’t know what will …
Men’s soccer trivia!!!! WOOO! Matt Besler will most likely play on the USMNT back line for tonight’s Gold Cup Semifinal match, so here goes nothing…
In his first game donning the USMNT kits, what other Notre Dame grad played on the back line with Besler?You will find the answer in Thursday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- Fencing. Stabrawa Named Fencing's Director of Operations
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2017-18 Schedule
- M. Soccer. Irish Release 2017 Soccer Slate
- M. Ice Hockey. Peeke And St. Cyr Invited To USA Camp
- Softball. Bazos To Represent Greece At Euro Championship
- Track & Field. Father’s Day: Running In The Aragon Family
- W. Tennis. Thompson Tapped To Lead Gophers As Head Coach
- Baseball. Irish Trio Of Bielak, Ruibal & Lidge Drafted
- M. Lacrosse. Epple Invited To U.S. National Team Tryouts
- W. Rowing. Boxberger Named CRCA Pocock All-American
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 GIFs #10 - @NDMenSoccer's ACC Offensive Player of the Year Jon Gallagher led @theACC in… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 11 hours ago
- ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Videos #10-Attention to detail 1st. Then work on the bigger picture. Josh Adams shows… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 12 hours ago
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 73 Days Flashback to the 1973 Sugar Bowl. When unbeaten @NDFootball downed #1 Alabama for… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Moments #10 - Steve Vasturia's 3-pointer with 2.5 seconds left in overtime clinches @NDmbb… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 17 hours ago
- ☘️ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #10 - Davis Lamb wins match vs Seton Hall for @NDMensGolf tournament title. und.com/sports/m-golf/… 17 hours ago