Jul 25, 2013, 9:13 AM EST
Before I begin, just over 37 days until Notre Dame vs. Temple kicks off … now that we have that out of the way … Notre Dame is used to being on the international stage in football not futbol, but they were last night with alum Matt Besler and his play in the CONCACAF Gold Cup. You can read more about it below.
Additionally, our ‘meeting the freshman’ series with the Irish men’s basketball team continues today with Steve Vasturia (Click Here To Read). You can find our previous story on Austin Torres’ story here.
Yesterday’s trivia question was not answered correctly yesterday so it will be used once agan today. You can find the question below.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame related trivia question will be found at the bottom of ‘Things I Found Interesting’ … we will begin to give prizes for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then ‘shout outs’ will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry, I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Men’s Soccer – Besler, USMNT Head To CONCACAF Gold Cup Finals (LINK-USSoccer.com)
Former Notre Dame men’s soccer standout Matt Besler ’09 continued his staunch play along the United States Men’s National Team back line in a 3-1 victory over Honduras in the semifinal match of the CONCACAF Gold Cup Tournament. Last night’s goal was the first goal the Besler-led defense allowed in a non-penalty kick fashion in the Gold Cup knockout rounds. According to ESPN.com, only one player on the pitch, Landon Donovan graded out higher than Besler for his performance in the semifinal match. The United States will face Panama on Sunday for the championship.
Here are some other writings on Notre Dame’s own Matt Besler:
Besler Elbows His Way Onto US Team (New York Times)
Once An Unexpected Addition, Besler Now a Mainstay On US Team (Sports Illustrated)
Playing For Uncle Sam’s Army (Irish UNDerground)
- 2. Women’s Golf – Talia Campbell Earns U.S. Women’s Amateur Berth (LINK-UND.com)
Notre Dame sophomore women’s golfer Talia Campbell recently qualified for the United States Golf Association’s 2013 U.S. Women’s Amateur golf championship that will be held August 5-11 at the par 71, 6,488-yard Country Club of Charleston in Charleston, S.C. Campbell qualified for the 2013 U.S. Amateur with a three-over par 74 at the Champions Golf Club in Houston, Texas on July 10th. That was two strokes off the pace set by winner Lakareber Abe who fired a one-over par 72 and tied her for third with six others. She survived a one-hole playoff with five other golfers to be among the nine qualifiers to advance to the tournament in Charleston.
- 3. Men’s Basketball – Bringing A Local Bond To Notre Dame (LINK-WNDU.com)
Local talent Austin Torres and Demetrius Jackson brought their skills this summer to Notre Dame to begin their collegiate careers in the new ACC. But what does that mean for the duo? How do they coexist on the court? These AAU teammates have a unique relationship that allows them to feed off one another and both share the common bond to try to help Notre Dame for repeated runs in the NCAA Championship. The link above takes you to WNDU.com’s great story on the pair.
- 4. Football – Watching The Watch Lists (LINK-ESPN.com)
With all the college football watch lists wrapped up, ESPN.com’s Matt Fortuna as compiled all the lists that involve Notre Dame players into one document that is linked above.
- 5. Football – Swimming With The Sharks (LINK-UND.com)
Notre Dame star wide receiver TJ Jones could not be found in the weight room, on the practice field or in his dorm room. During most weekend summers at Notre Dame, Jones would be on campus hanging out with his teammates. But two weeks ago, Jones was boarding a crack-of-dawn flight bound for Tampa, Fla., to spend some time away from campus in a very unique way. He was not going there to soak up sun and admire beachgoers; he was there to strap on a wet suit and dive into a tank full of sharks as part of the weekend-long job shadowing venture that Jones participated in at The Florida Aquarium. Click the link above to read more above Jones’ experience ‘under the sea!’
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
Irish In The ACC: Golf (UND.com) – Notre Dame Athletics Media Relations and Fighting Irish Digital Media take a look at the Irish golf squads impact on ACC play.
Catrina Thompson Named Women’s Tennis Assistant Coach (UND.com) – Former Notre Dame All-American Catrina Thompson was recently named the new assistant women’s tennis coach at her alma mater.
Zeiss Takes Gold At Maccabiah Games (WaveNewspapers.com) – Notre Dame fencer Madison Zeiss recently took home the gold in her weapon class at the Maccabiah Games.
Freshman Focus: Corey Robinson (NBCSports.com) – NBC Sports’ Keith Arnold takes a look at what freshman Corey Robinson brings to the table and what we can expect from him this upcoming season.
Tweet That Made Me Chuckle…
He did go to Florida State … but we all know this guy is a pretty decent golfer …
Asked @cponder7 to guess which celeb’s real name is Eldrick Tont. His guesses: the butler from Fresh Prince, Jay Z, Wilt Chamberlain.
— Sam Ponder (@samsteeleponder) July 25, 2013
Notre Dame Video Of The Day
Yeah, I will honestly say I was a little bit scared watching this video …
A holdover trivia question that I received answers all the way from Joe Lapira to Greg Dalby …
In his first game donning the USMNT kits, what other Notre Dame grad played on the back line with Besler?
You will find the answer in Friday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You) … if the question is answered correctly…
- M. Ice Hockey. Michigan Holds On For 1-0 Victory Over Notre Dame
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Doubleheader Victories Over Indiana, Wright State
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Miami - Five Things To Know
- Baseball. Gilgenbach's Two-Homer Day Takes Series At No. 9 LSU
- M. Tennis. #22 Irish Drop 4-3 Heartbreaker To #20 Blue Devils
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Wrap Last Road Game with 89-55 Win at Boston College
- W. Lacrosse. No. 16 Notre Dame blows by Stetson, 21-7
- Softball. #RV Irish Go 3-1 Versus #14 Minny, #20 UM At B1G/ACC
- M. Golf. Men's Golf to Compete at Prestige at PGA West
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Women Finish 5th At ACC Championships
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- #ICYMI, @NDBaseball earned the series win over No. 9 LSU in the ☝️st games of the year! Take a look back at how th… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 29 minutes ago
- Notre Dame has a long, storied relationship with our United States Presidents and we are proud to honor them today.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- ✅ Most points by an Irish player in an ACC game ✅ Tie program record for made threes in a game ✅ Career high 37 poi… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- A GRAND way to start the season! @NDBaseball beat No. 9 LSU to win the weekend series behind Eric Gilgenbach's ✌️… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 14 hours ago
- #BigMonday is back! After @NDmbb beat Boston College on the road, the Irish return home to take on Monday at 7 p.m… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 15 hours ago