Jul 26, 2013, 10:10 AM EDT
TGIF! This weekend is full of Irish Athletics on the professional stage, culminating with Irish men’s soccer alum Matt Besler playing for the CONCACAF Gold Cup Title on Sunday at 4 p.m. ET on your local FOX affiliate. In Besler’s last eight starts with the USMNT, they sport a 6-0-2 mark.
Here is a cool tweet from former USMNT player Alexi Lalas:
— Alexi Lalas (@AlexiLalas) July 26, 2013
Another Irish alum who is makes moves professionally is former men’s golfer Mark Baldwin. Yesterday, in the opening round of the Greater Bangor Open Baldwin shot a five-under par 65 to be in a tie for third entering the second round of play. We will keep you up to date on Baldwin’s finish via twitter and in Monday’s ‘TIFI’.
Additionally, our ‘meeting the freshman’ series with the Irish men’s basketball team continued yesterday with Steve Vasturia (Click Here To Read). You can find our previous story on Austin Torres’ story here.
Yesterday’s trivia question (In his first game donning the USMNT kits, what other Notre Dame grad played on the back line with Besler?) was finally answered correctly by their former classmate @eadillon1! Justin Morrow is the correct answer.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame related trivia question will be found at the bottom of ‘Things I Found Interesting’ … we will begin to give prizes for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then ‘shout outs’ will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry, I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – NFL.com Looks At 2013 Irish Season (LINK-NFL.com)
In one of the more interesting compilation articles I’ve read in recent time, the NFL put together a preview of the season, lists of potential draft picks and games to watch on the 2013 docket. You will be surprised by some of the write ups on prospective Irish pro prospects. Click the link above to read this piece.
- 2. Hockey – Ben Simon Named Cyclones Head Coach (LINK-Cincinnati.com)
After Notre Dame icer Ben Simon’s playing career ended after stints with two NHL squads, he turned his eye to coaching and has been successful at every stop thus far. For this reason and more, yesterday Simon was named the head coach of the Cincinnati Cyclones, an East Coast Hockey League affiliate. To read more on the hiring click the link above.
- 3. Football – Football Squad To Open Training Camp Off Campus (LINK-UND.com)
The University of Notre Dame announced Thursday that the football team will open its 2013 training camp on Monday, Aug. 5 in Marion, Ind., at the Shiloh Park Retreat and Conference Center. The Irish will go through their acclimatization portion of training camp while in Marion. Notre Dame will ultimately conduct four practices on site before transitioning to its customary LaBar Football Practice Fields on Friday, Aug. 9.
- 4. Football – Te’o Settles In To Rookie Life (LINK-Associated Press)
After being drafted early in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft by the San Diego Chargers, Manti Te’o is looking to make a name for himself in the professional ranks. The runner-up for the 2012 Heisman Trophy and recipient of numerous national awards, Te’o, a Notre Dame team captain, was the leader of an Irish defense that ranked second nationally in scoring defense, only allowing 12.8 points per game. The senior made 113 tackles and collected seven interceptions. Te’o registered three-straight 100-plus tackle seasons and ranks third in Notre Dame history for career tackles with 437.
- 5. Football – History Lesson:1924 Red Revenge (LINK-One Foot Down)
In Part IV of the One Foot Down series “1924,” Notre Dame defeats a pesky rival and the committee from Pasadena begins gauging the school’s interest in a bowl game. Click the link above to continue reading.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
Irish Golfing Duo Named All-Americans (UND.com) – Niall Platt and Paul McNamara were both recently named Division I Cleveland Golf/Srixon All-America Scholars
Soccer Meet The Teams BBQ Schedule (UND.com) – The men’s and women’s soccer teams have again scheduled their popular meet and greet for fans, click the link to learn more.
Tweet That Made Me Chuckle…
The link is far funnier than the tweet, so click it and read…
The “How To” name your bookstore basketball team: http://t.co/QFm9nS9QWf
— Bookstore Basketball (@bkstr_bball) July 26, 2013
I guess going to the British Open wasn’t all fun and games for scribe Pat Forde…
— Pat Forde (@YahooForde) July 25, 2013
Notre Dame Video Of The Day
This made me hungry on an early Friday morning…
Football season is almost upon us so we will give you an opening game trivia question …
With the Irish opening up against a non-ACC, SEC, BIG 12, PAC 12 or Big Ten foe… In season-opening games the Irish have outscored members of the non big-five conferences by a total of 85-10 on the past two occasions. Name the teams they beat…?
You will find the answer in Monday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You) … if the question is answered correctly…
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic and Epple Selected in First Two Rounds of MLL Draft
- W. Rowing. Irish Wrap Up NCAA Championship
- Track & Field. Five Irish Headed To Eugene
- W. Rowing. Irish Earn Final Berths At The NCAA Championship
- Track & Field. Richartz Secures Spot at NCAA Championships
- W. Rowing. Rowing Wraps Up Day One At NCAA Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Long Island Sound Draft Two Irish Alumnae
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Season Finale
- Track & Field. Irish Punch Ticket To Eugene
- Football. Football & The Force Charity Softball Game
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ ND RECORD 2017 grad Sergio Perkovic is @NDlacrosse's highest Major League Lacrosse draft pick at No. 2 overall.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: To the best fan base in the world! Thanks for getting us to 500,000! #GoIrish https://t.co/7d4BiJY51Z 18 hours ago
- ☘ ND Vaults Into Finals! @NDXCTF pole vaulter Nate Richartz to compete in his 2nd @NCAATrackField Championship. und.com/sports/c-track… 21 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Shoot for the Sky! @DallasWings Skylar Diggins-Smith holds @ndwbb career points record (2,357) On Thursday she scored… 1 day ago
- Shoot for the Sky! @DallasWings Skylar Diggins-Smith holds @ndwbb career points record (2,357) On Thursday she sc… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago