Jul 29, 2013, 10:23 AM EST
Well happy Monday everyone! Many of you had a great weekend I’m sure, especially if you watched the United States Men’s National Team bring home the Gold Cup yesterday. Of course I was paying attention to Notre Dame grad Matt Besler in the centerback position yesterday for the U.S. Notre Dame is looking for its first former player to suit up in the World Cup for the United States Men’s National Team and according to many pundits, this time next year we will have the opportunity to watch Besler…
Here is a cool tweet from soccer scribe George Dohrmann:
Locks for WC at moment: GKs: Howard, Guzan, Rimando. D: Dolo, Chandler, Evans, Goodson, Gonzo, Besler, Beasley, Fabian. (cont)
— George Dohrmann (@georgedohrmann) July 29, 2013
Another Irish alum who is makes moves professionally is former men’s golfer Mark Baldwin. After an opening round 64 at the Greater Bangor Open, the second round was cancelled due to storms. On the final day Baldwin shot a 68 to finish in a tie for third with a six-under par tally (132).
Additionally, our ‘meeting the freshman’ series with the Irish men’s basketball team began last week with Steve Vasturia (Click Here To Read). You can find our previous story on Austin Torres’ story here. Be on the lookout tomorrow and thursday for the final two freshman stories to be unveiled.
Yesterday’s trivia question (With the Irish opening up against a non-ACC, SEC, BIG 12, PAC 12 or Big Ten foe… In season-opening games the Irish have outscored members of the non big-five conferences by a total of 85-10 on the past two occasions. Name the teams they beat…?) was answered correctly by @reimero! Nevada (35-0) and Navy (50-10) was the correct answer. The Nevada offense, led by current San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick was stalled that day by the Irish defense due to Notre Dame’s ability to force turnovers.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame related trivia question will be found at the bottom of ‘Things I Found Interesting’ … we will begin to give prizes for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then ‘shout outs’ will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry, I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Men’s Soccer – Besler & USMNT Take Home Gold Cup Trophy (LINK-USSoccer.com)
It has been a huge year for former Notre Dame men’s soccer standout Matt Besler, from being named the 2012 MLS Defender of the Year to being a stalwart on the United State Men’s National Team backline to CONCACAF Gold Cup Champions and then this Wednesday he will be among the starting XI for the MLS All-Star Game against Inter Milan. Additionally, after the 1-0 victory over Panama in yesterdays Gold Cup Final, the USMNT is now 7-0-2 when Besler starts in his centerback position on the defensive fixture. Below you will find some great instagram photos Besler posted after winning the title and a few links from other great stories on Besler’s rise over the past few years including one we did with him at the beginning of his great run (Playing For Uncle Sam’s Army)…
Here are some other writings on Notre Dame’s own Matt Besler:
Matt Besler’s Long Road To The Top Of U.S. Soccer (Kansas City Star)
Besler Elbows His Way Onto US Team (New York Times)
Once An Unexpected Addition, Besler Now a Mainstay On US Team (Sports Illustrated)
Playing For Uncle Sam’s Army (Irish UNDerground)
- 2. Football – 20 Reasons To Be Excited For Football To Begin (LINK-UHND.com)
I am pretty sure the title of this section is pretty self-explanatory, so do yourself a favor and click the above link and read the story. You will be ready for August 31st to get here by the time you read #20.
- 3. Football – Tate Looks To Be Seahawks X-Factor (LINK-The Seattle Times)
Former Notre Dame football star Golden Tate’s time in Seattle has been everything from astounding to quiet to unstoppable. This season, Tate looks to change all that. With the inclusion of threats like Percy Harvin, the Seahawks may boast the deepest and most talented team in the league with do-everything quarterback Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch joining Harvin and Tate. Nonetheless, Jerry Brewer, a great columnist from the Seattle Times looks at what could be Tate’s breakout season. Click the link above to read Brewer’s thoughts.
- 4. Women’s Soccer – Holton Tabbed As New Assistant (LINK-UND.com)
Corey Holton, one of the nation’s top young coaches, has been named an assistant coach with the University of Notre Dame women’s soccer program, it was announced Friday by head coach Randy Waldrum. Holton joins the Fighting Irish staff following seven seasons as a coach at the NCAA Division III level, the past four as a head coach and most recently following one season at Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) in Worcester, Mass.
- 5. Women’s Lacrosse – Staff Changes As Irish Move To ACC (LINK-UND.com)
Former University of Notre Dame women’s lacrosse assistant coach Sarah Dalton is returning to the Irish staff in 2014 and will be joined by James Madison associate head coach Katie Linnertz, third year head coach Christine Halfpenny announced Friday. Dalton coached with Halfpenny at William & Mary for two seasons and at Notre Dame in 2012, while Linnertz coached Dalton for two seasons at Boston University in 2008 and 2009 when the latter was putting up All-American numbers with the Terriers. The two new assistants will team with Halfpenny to lead Notre Dame into the Atlantic Coast Conference after the Irish finished 25-10 with two NCAA Championship appearances in Halfpenny’s first two seasons at the helm of the 17-year program.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
Taylor Joins Iowa Basketball Staff (WHBF.com) – Former Notre Dame basketball student-athlete and Ball State University head men’s basketball coach Billy Taylor was recently announced as the director of basketball operations for the Iowa Hawkeyes.
Shawhan Spans The Globe: Part One (Irish UNDerground) – Women’s lacrosse student-athlete Molly Shawhan gives the first of three installments of her journey-filled summer.
Rae Races In Russia (Irish UNDerground) – Runner Jeremy Rae placed second in the 1,500 at the World University Games for his home country of Canada. Read and see Jeremy’s trip through a great photo blog he put together.
Tweet That Made Me Chuckle…
This probably couldn’t get past airport security…
— NOTRE DAME WBB (@ndwbb) July 29, 2013
Notre Dame Video Of The Day
Sorry for all the soccer lately… but what can I say, Coach Clark’s disciples are downright ballin’ domestically and internationally as of late…
Matt Besler is playing in the MLS All-Star Game in his home stadium in Kansas City on Wednesday night, so it begs the question …
Who was the first former Notre Dame student-athlete to play in the MLS All-Star Game?
You will find the answer in Tuesday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You) … if the question is answered correctly…
- M. Golf. Irish End First Day at Prestige at PGA West
- W. Soccer. Norman ('07) Named Notre Dame Women's Soccer Head Coach
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Roll Into ACCs For Conference Championship Meet
- Track & Field. Yared Nuguse Named ACC Track Performer of the Week
- Fencing. Irish Youth Perform Well At Junior Olympic Championships
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Comes Up Short Against Hurricanes, 77-74
- Baseball. Gilgenbach Garners ACC Co-Player of the Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Michigan Holds On For 1-0 Victory Over Notre Dame
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Doubleheader Victories Over Indiana, Wright State
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Miami - Five Things To Know
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Kristina Nelson hit career highs in 3️⃣ categories as No. 5 @ndwbb downed Boston College on Sunday. Don't miss Kri… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 36 minutes ago
- Go behind-the-scenes of @NDmbb in the newest episode of Podward Notre Dame. The storytellers of Fighting Irish Med… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- 🥇 Samantha Viqueira 🥇 Stephen Ewart @NDFencing recorded top performances at the Junior Olympic National Champions… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- After @NDCoachNorman was introduced as the newest head coach of @NDSoccer, the well wishes poured in from around th… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago
- No. 19 @NDSwimDive is gearing up for action at the 2018 ACC Swimming and Diving Championships, starting Wednesday!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago