Jul 30, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
Lets dive right in… well before we do that, take a few minutes at work at listen to Irish men’s soccer alum Matt Besler on Doug Gottlieb’s radio show yesterday. He talks about the Gold Cup and the celebration afterwards, it is a great listen.
No matter what U.S. Amateur you go to, the men’s or women’s, Notre Dame will be represented. Two weeks ago we reported that Talia Campbell of the women’s golf squad qualified for the women’s Am and after his stellar, three-under par (141) play yesterday on Seven Oaks Golf Course in Hamilton, N.Y., Andrew Lane of the men’s golf team qualified for the U.S. Amateur Championship at The Country Club at Brookline (Mass.).
There is great history at Brookline, aside from being one of the oldest golf courses (1882), The Country Club hosted the 1913 U.S. Open. This tournament brought golf to the mainstream in the U.S. when Francis Ouimet, a 20-year old amateur defeated the big boys on tour including Harry Vardon, for who the PGA Tour’s low scoring average trophy is named. By the way, Ouimet’s caddy was 10-years old.
Now that I’ve gone way back at The Country Club, let’s go to what I didn’t have to read in a book to learn… Let’s go to the ‘Battle at Brookline’ …
Additionally, our ‘meeting the freshman’ series with the Irish men’s basketball team began last week with Steve Vasturia (Click Here To Read). You can find our previous story on Austin Torres’ story here. Be on the lookout today and thursday for the final two freshman stories to be unveiled.
Yesterday’s trivia question (Who was the first former Notre Dame student-athlete to play in the MLS All-Star Game?) was not answered correctly. So it will continue to be held over until it is answered correctly.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame related trivia question will be found at the bottom of ‘Things I Found Interesting’ … we will begin to give prizes for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then ‘shout outs’ will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry, I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Men’s Soccer – Besler To Take Field As Starting XI in MLS All-Star Game Tomorrow (LINK-MLSSoccer.com)
It has been the ‘summer of Besler’ here at Notre Dame and around the CONCACAF member countries after his stellar play along the USMNT backline and with Sporting KC. Tomorrow night at 9 p.m. ET tune in to ESPN2 to watch Notre Dame alum Matt Besler start in the MLS All-Star. In the MLS there is a different format, the MLS All-Star’s take on a popular club team from around the world. This year, the All-Star squad will take on AS Roma.
Here are some other writings on Notre Dame’s own Matt Besler:
Matt Besler’s Long Road To The Top Of U.S. Soccer (Kansas City Star)
Besler Elbows His Way Onto US Team (New York Times)
Once An Unexpected Addition, Besler Now a Mainstay On US Team (Sports Illustrated)
Playing For Uncle Sam’s Army (Irish UNDerground)
- 2. Football – Profiling Ishaq Williams (LINK-UHND.com)
In his first two seasons on campus linebacker Ishaq Williams has seen action in 24 games, including every game last season, totaling 28 tackles and 4.5 tackles for loss. Williams, a Bronx, N.Y. native, came to Notre Dame with much upside after only playing organized football for a few short years. Over the next season, I look for Williams to have a truly breakout year in the Irish front seven and make a mark on the already vaunted Irish defense.
- 3. Men’s Basketball – Strong Summer Puts Cooley In Good Position (LINK-SouthBendTribune.com)
Unlike most NBA Summer Leaguers, Jack Cooley played in both leagues, the Orlando Summer League and the Las Vegas Summer League. In his time in Orlando Cooley was a member of the Rockets squad and played solid throughout his time there. Cooley began to turn it on when he arrived in Las Vegas, netting multiple double-doubles and cleaning up down low in the paint. Read the above linked story from the South Bend Tribune’s Tom Noie when he caught up with Jack.
- 4. Women’s Soccer – Six Invited To U.S. U-20 National Team Camp (LINK-UND.com)
For the second time in as many months, Notre Dame sophomore defender Katie Naughton, sophomore forward/midfielder/defender Cari Roccaro and sophomore forward Crystal Thomas, along with incoming freshman midfielder Morgan Andrews and rookie goalkeeper Kaela Little, have been invited to a United States Under-20 Women’s National Soccer Team camp, this time scheduled for Aug. 4-12 at the StubHub Center (formerly the Home Depot Center) in Carson, Calif. Click the link above to learn more.
- 5. Football – Viewers Get Treat For Shamrock Series Game (LINK-NBCSports.com)
This sounds awesome … now read how Mike Florio of NBC Pro Football Talk explains it … “When NBC broadcasts a pair of Cowboys games on Sunday Night Football this season, fans at the game and watching from home will enjoy a new wrinkle. Via the Associated Press, NBC will install a system that permits 360-degree rotating angles of all action in the red zone and through the back of each end zone. “You can now move all the way around the play without changing the camera angle,” Sunday Night Football producer Fred Gaudelli told the Television Critics Association over the weekend. Gaudelli, pictured to the left of NBC Sports Group Chairman Mark Lazarus (yes, I know how to suck up), compared it to the camera views available in video games. The FreeD system, short for free-dimensional video, will be used on Sunday, September 8 when the Cowboys host the Giants. It also will be used for the Redskins-Cowboys game on October 13, and for the October 5 Arizona State-Notre Dame game to be played at AT&T Stadium.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
Top-25 Notre Dame Football Players: #25 CJ Prosise (UHND.com) – The guys at UHND.com have begun their top-25 countdown of Notre Dame football players for the upcoming season, #25 is CJ Prosise.
Top-25 Notre Dame Football Players: #24 Max Redfield (UHND.com) – The guys at UHND.com have begun their top-25 countdown of Notre Dame football players for the upcoming season, #24 is Max Redfield.
Tweet That Made Me Chuckle…
Can’t wait for season 2 of Grant & Max 1080*!…
— Through Irish Eyes (@NDIrishEyes) July 29, 2013
Notre Dame Video Of The Day
I wanted you to watch this behind the scenes video of Golden from Seahawks training camp, but couldn’t figure out how to embed it… therefore you just get a video of him laying a nasty crack back block…
CARRY OVER QUESTION! Matt Besler is playing in the MLS All-Star Game in his home stadium in Kansas City on Wednesday night, so it begs the question …
Who was the first former Notre Dame student-athlete to play in the MLS All-Star Game?
You will find the answer in Wednesday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You) … if the question is answered correctly…
- Softball. Irish Strikeout Cancer With Arkansas
- W. Lacrosse. Fortunato Named Tewaaraton Award Nominee
- Track. Irish Conclude Day One of Penn Relays
- Baseball. Irish & Blue Devils Play A Pair Friday
- W. Tennis. Irish Fall To Clemson In Second Round Of ACC Championship
- M. Tennis. Irish Fall In 4-3 Heartbreaker To Louisville At ACC Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Rally Not Enough Against Eagles
- M. Soccer. Irish Take Pitch For Annual Clash With Mexico On Friday
- Baseball. Duke Visits For Pivotal League Series
- W. Soccer. Irish Slated To Face Off With Mexico In Annual Spring Finale
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ @NDSoftball is on a mission to fight pediatric cancer. Coach Gumpf's daughter Tatum is a survivor. Hear Tatum's… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- That #FridayFeeling! ☀️ 15 Days Until Summer 🏈 120 Days Until College Football ☘ 127 Days Until Kickoff in ND Stad… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- 🏈 #TBT to 2016 Ronnie Stanley & Will Fuller became @NDFootball's 65th & 66th 1st round NFL draft picks (3rd all-ti… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 22 hours ago
- ☘ 300 CLUB Congrats, @NDWomensLax goalie Sam Giacolone on her 300th career save during ACC Championships. Sam is… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ⚾️ IRISH BLANK EASTERN MICHIGAN Matt Vierling scored 2 runs and 3 RBI in @NDBaseball's 5-0 victory. 📽 Highlights https://t.co/evwnYZL6H3 1 day ago