Jul 31, 2013, 8:26 AM EST
Tonight is the night we have been talking about for a few weeks now. Notre Dame alum Matt Besler will be among the MLS’ Starting XI for the All-Star game against AS Roma. The game will be broadcast on ESPN2.
Another day, another current Irish golfer qualifies for the USGA’s United States Amateur, this time it is Tyler Wingo. After Talia Campbell recently qualified for the U.S. Women’s Amateur, Andrew Lane followed that up by qualifying for the U.S. Amateur this past Monday. Make that three Irish golfers with more men’s players to still make their qualifying attempts later this week for the event that will take place at the historical Country Club in Brookline, Mass.
Additionally, our ‘meeting the freshman’ series with the Irish men’s basketball team continued yesterday with the release of Fort Wayne, Ind., native V.J. Beachem (Click Here To Read). Last week we released both Steve Vasturia (Click Here To Read) and Austin Torres’ story (Click Here To Read). Be on the lookout thursday as the final freshman story is unveiled.
Yesterday’s trivia question (Who was the first former Notre Dame student-athlete to play in the MLS All-Star Game?) was finally answered correctly by Paul Ullrich (@PUllrich). With the answer kind of being a trick … Matt Besler was the first Notre Dame alum named to the MLS All-Star game in 2011 and will now be the first player to have multiple MLS All-Star Game appearances in Notre Dame history.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame related trivia question will be found at the bottom of ‘Things I Found Interesting’ … we will begin to give prizes for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then ‘shout outs’ will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry, I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Men’s Soccer – Besler To Take Field As Starting XI in MLS All-Star Game Tonight (LINK-MLSSoccer.com)
After tonight I will give everyone a reprieve of listening to me talk about soccer for at least a day, I promise. Well… unless of course Besler scores, assists on a goal or really anything I find cool. Anyway, watch ESPN2 tonight at 9pm ET to watch Besler and the MLS All-Stars take on AS Roma.
Here are some other writings on Notre Dame’s own Matt Besler:
Matt Besler’s Long Road To The Top Of U.S. Soccer (Kansas City Star)
Besler Elbows His Way Onto US Team (New York Times)
Once An Unexpected Addition, Besler Now a Mainstay On US Team (Sports Illustrated)
Playing For Uncle Sam’s Army (Irish UNDerground)
- 2. Football – Profiling Sheldon Day (LINK-UHND.com)
A first season that saw Sheldon Day accumulate 23 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss and a pair of sacks in seeing action in every game was just a glimpse of what is possible for this Indianapolis, Ind., native. The guys at UHND.com do a great job of profiling Day and giving us a look into what we should expect out of this beast along the defensive front the upcoming season and beyond. Click the link above to read more.
- 3. Men’s Basketball – Knight Plays In The Motherland (LINK-In The Paint)
Before Tom Knight’s final season at Notre Dame begins this fall, he took a trip to Estonia as a member of the East Coast All-Stars for the Four Nations Cup. Having recently returned from the trip, I was able to catch up with him yesterday to hear about the experience. Click the link above to read the whole story.
- 4. Football – Eifert Making An Impression A Bengals Camp (LINK-AP)
Last year’s Mackey Award winner (Top TIght End in College Football), Tyler Eifert, has started camp with the Cincinnati Bengals after being drafted by the organization in the first round in the 2013 NFL Draft and is already showing off his skills. Early in camp Eifert is already making his presence felt in being an added dimension to the already successful Bengals offense that is led by pro bowl quarterback Andy Dalton. Click the link above to read more.
- 5. Football – Barca Explores 1988 Football Squad (LINK-MyCentralJersey.com)
In a book he has been working on for quite some time, Jerry Barca, a 1999 Notre Dame graduate, has finished his book, Unbeatable: Notre Dame’s 1988 Championship and the Last Great College Football Season. The book looks into the National Championship squad at Notre Dame, the importance of certain games in that season and what that championship meant to him on a personal level. Click the above link to learn more.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
Summer Opponent Preview: Stanford (One Foot Down) – One Foot Down looks at our opponent for the final regular season game, Stanford.
Darius Fleming Sidelined With Injury (South Bend Tribune) – Darius Fleming was waived yesterday after it was found he had injured his leg and would not be able to participate in camp…
Ian Williams Impressing At 49ers Camp (NBC – Bay Area) – Coming into camp in better shape than years past, Ian Williams is looking to find more playing time in the 2013-14 NFL season…
Manti Te’o Getting Wiser In His Short Time In NFL (U-T San Diego) – After getting to training camp, Te’o is already making plays and learning the NFL ways…
Freshman Focus: Jaylon Smith (NBCSports.com) – Keith Arnold at NBC Sports looks at what we can expect from from freshman linebacker Jaylon Smith…
Tweets That Made Me Chuckle…
It is Louis Nix’s birthday, so I provide you with two stellar Irish Chocolate tweets…
Another 365 day trip around the sun complete.
— lOUIS NIX III (@1IrishChocolate) July 31, 2013
When life gives you Lemons make a Lemon Meringue Pie. #DeliciousLifeLessons
— lOUIS NIX III (@1IrishChocolate) July 31, 2013
Notre Dame Video Of The Day
A little older video, but one that will let you get to know a little more about Matt Besler as he plays in the MLS All-Star Game tongiht
Baseball season is winding down here with over two-thirds of the season already complete, so it’s time for a baseball question. Yes, I did pose this question the other night on twitter when Samardzija had thrown 4.2 innings of no-hit ball…
Who was the last Notre Dame baseball player to pitch a no-hitter in the Major Leagues?
You will find the answer in Thursday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You) … if the question is answered correctly…
- M. Golf. Irish End First Day at Prestige at PGA West
- W. Soccer. Norman ('07) Named Notre Dame Women's Soccer Head Coach
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Roll Into ACCs For Conference Championship Meet
- Track & Field. Yared Nuguse Named ACC Track Performer of the Week
- Fencing. Irish Youth Perform Well At Junior Olympic Championships
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Comes Up Short Against Hurricanes, 77-74
- Baseball. Gilgenbach Garners ACC Co-Player of the Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Michigan Holds On For 1-0 Victory Over Notre Dame
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Doubleheader Victories Over Indiana, Wright State
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Miami - Five Things To Know
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Kristina Nelson hit career highs in 3️⃣ categories as No. 5 @ndwbb downed Boston College on Sunday. Don't miss Kri… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 32 minutes ago
- Go behind-the-scenes of @NDmbb in the newest episode of Podward Notre Dame. The storytellers of Fighting Irish Med… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- 🥇 Samantha Viqueira 🥇 Stephen Ewart @NDFencing recorded top performances at the Junior Olympic National Champions… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- After @NDCoachNorman was introduced as the newest head coach of @NDSoccer, the well wishes poured in from around th… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- No. 19 @NDSwimDive is gearing up for action at the 2018 ACC Swimming and Diving Championships, starting Wednesday!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago