Jul 31, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
A new weekly Irish UNDerground feature revolves around the @NDSportsBlogger taking time away from his desk to go find an interesting artifact around the University of Notre Dame Athletic Department, enjoy…
After taking a hiatus from writing this weekly piece, I am back with a great artifact that I guarantee only a handful of people have seen. This week’s item on ‘Wayback Wednesday’ required a little research but also some of the great teachings from former U.S. History teachers I had while attending Penn High School in Mishawaka, Ind. (You know who you are…)…
Lets get right down to it. This picture shows three men, on the left you can see then Athletic Director Edward ‘Moose’ Krause, Senate Sergeant at Arms at former Notre Dame football player under Knute Rockne F. Nordy Hoffman and on the right was then United States Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield.
The inscription reads:
To Ed “Moose” Krause
With best personal wishes
Mike Mansfield, Majority Leader
Mansfield, a member of the Democratic Party, represented the state of Montana in both the House and the Senate, serving 10 years as a congressman and 24 years as a senator. His 16 years in the post of Senate Majority Leader is still the most of all time. Upon finishing his term in the Senate he served as Ambassador to Japan for over a decade before retiring from politics.
Krause, a three-sport monogram winner in the early 1930s who earned All-America honors in football and basketball while also competing in track and field. He later served as an assistant football coach and assistant and head basketball coach at Notre Dame before becoming one of the nation’s most respected athletic directors, serving in that role at his alma mater from 1949-82.
A former Notre Dame football player under coach Knute Rockne, F. Nordy Hoffmann looked like a Sergeant at Arms. During the 1930s he had been an aide to Philip Murray, president of the United Steelworkers of America and head of the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO). Murray sent Hoffmann to Washington to reorganize lobbying efforts for the Steelworkers. His activities as a lobbyist and his fund raising for Democratic congressional candidates led to his appointment to the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee in 1967. As a result of the associations he made during those years, Hoffmann was elected Senate Sergeant at Arms in 1975, which placed him in charge of Senate security, protocol, computers and numerous other essential services.
If you can provide anymore information regarding this ‘Wayback Wednesday’ Artifact, please email Aaron Horvath at AHorvat3@nd.edu or on twitter at @NDSportsBlogger
- Softball. Irish Freshmen Rule The Field At Melissa Cook Vs. Michigan St.
- W. Soccer. Spring Opener With Purdue Moved Up To Friday
- Swimming & Diving. Strong Start for No. 19 Notre Dame Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. NCAA Northeast Regional Awaits
- Swimming & Diving. No. 19 Notre Dame Men's Swimming and Diving Set to Compete at NCAA Championships
- W. Soccer. Yu Heads To Camp With U-23 Women's National Team
- Fencing. Keys To The Meet: 2017 NCAA Fencing Championships
- Swimming & Diving. Inside Irish: 2017 NCAA Division I Women's Swimming and Diving Championships
- Baseball. Irish Walk By Huskies
- Softball. Irish Mark Return To Melissa Cook Stadium Vs. MSU
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ Winning With Style! Michigan State goes down as @NDSoftball walks-off in home opener. ND 11 | MSU 3 https://t.co/vgKqj4gWpR 13 hours ago
- ☘ IRISH vs. BUCKEYES Watch #2 @NDlacrosse take on #4 Ohio State at home. Saturday | 2pm TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago
- 💯 Fresh Jerseys ☀️ Bright Sky ☘ It's Game Day! @NDSoftball kicks off its home opener. ND vs. MSU | 4:30pm 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- ⚾️ IRISH WIN HOME OPENER @NDBaseball recorded two 5-run innings in its 12-1 win over Northern Illinois. 📽 Highlig… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ☘ IRISH DOMINATE ACC FENCING Men's & Women's @NDFencing teams combine for 4 of 6 ACC Fencer of the Year awards. und.com/sports/c-fenc/… 1 day ago