Jul 31, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
A new weekly Irish UNDerground feature revolves around the @NDSportsBlogger taking time away from his desk to go find an interesting artifact around the University of Notre Dame Athletic Department, enjoy…
After taking a hiatus from writing this weekly piece, I am back with a great artifact that I guarantee only a handful of people have seen. This week’s item on ‘Wayback Wednesday’ required a little research but also some of the great teachings from former U.S. History teachers I had while attending Penn High School in Mishawaka, Ind. (You know who you are…)…
Lets get right down to it. This picture shows three men, on the left you can see then Athletic Director Edward ‘Moose’ Krause, Senate Sergeant at Arms at former Notre Dame football player under Knute Rockne F. Nordy Hoffman and on the right was then United States Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield.
The inscription reads:
To Ed “Moose” Krause
With best personal wishes
Mike Mansfield, Majority Leader
Mansfield, a member of the Democratic Party, represented the state of Montana in both the House and the Senate, serving 10 years as a congressman and 24 years as a senator. His 16 years in the post of Senate Majority Leader is still the most of all time. Upon finishing his term in the Senate he served as Ambassador to Japan for over a decade before retiring from politics.
Krause, a three-sport monogram winner in the early 1930s who earned All-America honors in football and basketball while also competing in track and field. He later served as an assistant football coach and assistant and head basketball coach at Notre Dame before becoming one of the nation’s most respected athletic directors, serving in that role at his alma mater from 1949-82.
A former Notre Dame football player under coach Knute Rockne, F. Nordy Hoffmann looked like a Sergeant at Arms. During the 1930s he had been an aide to Philip Murray, president of the United Steelworkers of America and head of the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO). Murray sent Hoffmann to Washington to reorganize lobbying efforts for the Steelworkers. His activities as a lobbyist and his fund raising for Democratic congressional candidates led to his appointment to the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee in 1967. As a result of the associations he made during those years, Hoffmann was elected Senate Sergeant at Arms in 1975, which placed him in charge of Senate security, protocol, computers and numerous other essential services.
If you can provide anymore information regarding this ‘Wayback Wednesday’ Artifact, please email Aaron Horvath at AHorvat3@nd.edu or on twitter at @NDSportsBlogger
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps
- Swimming & Diving. Litzinger To Coach In Inaugural ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Soccer. Flores Signs Two-Year Deal with Valencia CF
- Fencing. Kvaratskhelia Named USFCA Coach of the Year
- M. Soccer. Irish Men's Soccer Holding School Supply Drive
- Track & Field. Sunday Brunch: Hoosier Hoops Helped Prepare Sparks for Head Coaching Role
- Track & Field. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach
- Cross Country. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach
- General News. Notre Dame Lands 434 Student-Athletes on ACC Honor Roll
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- The confetti fell 🎉, the national championship trophy's home 🏆, but we need your help one more time. Help @ndwbb b… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 hour ago
- Step on set with the Irish! 📸 🎥 @NDVolleyball sophomore libero Madison Cruzado is taking you behind-the-scenes of… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 hours ago
- ☘️ 👉 🇮🇪 @NDLacrosse alum Conor Kelly is at the @2018WorldLax Championships representing @IrelandLacrosse! #GoIrish https://t.co/bFpVyKbOv1 5 hours ago
- Whatcha got, #NDFamily? @NDLacrosse needs a 🔥 name for their mannequin to display their 🔥 swag! 🗣 Comment below w… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 7 hours ago
- 2️⃣0️⃣1️⃣6️⃣➡️ @NDSoccer visited France 🇫🇷 during the European ⚽️ Championships and sees Croatia 🇭🇷 2️⃣0️⃣1️⃣8️⃣➡️… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 10 hours ago