Aug 1, 2013, 10:13 AM EDT
Last night Notre Dame was on the international stage as alum Matt Besler ’99 started along the backline for the MLS in the MLS All-Star game against AS Roma. Besler playe 45 minutes before being subbed out at halftime with the MLS down 1-0. AS Roma would go on to defeat the All-Stars 3-1.
We have had a large amount of original content going out on the blogosphere in the past 36 hours or so, catch up with the links below.
Way Back Wednesday – Moose’s Congressional Photo (Irish UNDerground)
Knight Plays In The Motherland (In The Paint)
Abro’s MBA To NBA Journey (In The Paint)
A Month Of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football (Strong & True)
Additionally, our ‘meeting the freshman’ series with the Irish men’s basketball team continued yesterday with the release of Fort Wayne, Ind., native V.J. Beachem (Click Here To Read). Last week we released both Steve Vasturia (Click Here To Read) and Austin Torres’ story (Click Here To Read). Be on the lookout later today as the final freshman story is unveiled.
Yesterday’s trivia question (Who was the last Notre Dame baseball player to pitch a no-hitter in the Major Leagues?) was not answered correctly and will be a holdover question until it is answered correctly.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame related trivia question will be found at the bottom of ‘Things I Found Interesting’ … we have begun to accumulate prizes so we can give them away for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then ‘shout outs’ will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry, I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Men’s Soccer – Besler In Starting XI For MLS All Star Game Against AS Roma (LINK-MLSSoccer.com)
If you read yesterday’s ‘TIFI’ then I may have lied to you a bit… After today you get a one day reprieve on soccer. So yeah, as I have shoved down your throat the last few days, weeks, months… Matt Besler is pretty darn good at soccer. Besler was on the field for one of the three AS Roma goals in the match, playing the opening 45 minutes of the match before being pulled at halftime.
Here are some other writings on Notre Dame’s own Matt Besler:
Sporting KC’s Is The Most KC Pro Athlete We Have (Kansas City Star)
Matt Besler’s Long Road To The Top Of U.S. Soccer (Kansas City Star)
Besler Elbows His Way Onto US Team (New York Times)
Once An Unexpected Addition, Besler Now a Mainstay On US Team (Sports Illustrated)
Playing For Uncle Sam’s Army (Irish UNDerground)
- 2. Football – Football – Viewers Get Treat For Shamrock Series Game (LINK-NBCSports.com)
As we wrote on July 30, the new FreeD technology sounds awesome, but now there is video to go with it … now read how Mike Florio of NBC Pro Football Talk explains it … “When NBC broadcasts a pair of Cowboys games on Sunday Night Football this season, fans at the game and watching from home will enjoy a new wrinkle. Via the Associated Press, NBC will install a system that permits 360-degree rotating angles of all action in the red zone and through the back of each end zone. “You can now move all the way around the play without changing the camera angle,” Sunday Night Football producer Fred Gaudelli told the Television Critics Association over the weekend. Gaudelli, pictured to the left of NBC Sports Group Chairman Mark Lazarus (yes, I know how to suck up), compared it to the camera views available in video games. The FreeD system, short for free-dimensional video, will be used on Sunday, September 8 when the Cowboys host the Giants. It also will be used for the Redskins-Cowboys game on October 13, and for the October 5 Arizona State-Notre Dame game to be played at AT&T Stadium.
- 3. Football – Tate Continues To Improve With Seahawks (LINK-WNDU.com)
After Percy Harvin supposedly underwent surgery to repair a torn labrum recently, it has catapulted Golden Tate into even more of a starring role in the Seahawks receiving corps. The video that is linked above is of an interview that was recently done with the former Notre Dame star.
- 4. Swimming & Diving – Irish In The ACC (LINK-UND.com)
The University of Notre Dame men’s and women’s swimming and diving programs enter the Atlantic Coast Conference with much enthusiasm after widely dominating the league during the past 18 years. The Irish women claimed 14 league titles, while the men’s team brought home six since 2005. Now with the move to the ACC, the two Notre Dame programs look to make a splash in a new league while continuing their rise up the national ladder at the year-end NCAA Championships. Click the above link to learn more.
- 5. Hockey – Tickets Go On Sale Today (LINK-UND.com)
Season tickets for the 2013-14 Notre Dame hockey season will go on sale to the public today, Thursday, August 1 beginning at 8:30 a.m. at the Murnane Family Ticket Office, by calling 574-631-7356 or by logging on to und.com/tickets. Among the seats available are a limited number in the main bowl of the Compton Family Ice Arena that gets fans up close to the fast-paced hockey action.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
2013 Top-25 Irish Players: Jaylon Smith (UHND.com) – Previewing the season for Jaylon Smith…
2013 Top-25 Irish Players: Ishaq Williams (UHND.com) – Previewing the season for Ishaq Williams…
Tweet That Made Me Chuckle…
Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose… Oh wait, that’s not what she said…
Red eye=red eyes…long day ahead.
— Deanna Gumpf (@NDcoachGumpf) August 1, 2013
Notre Dame Video Of The Day
Great video on football head coach Brian Kelly’s wife, Paqui Kelly, and what she has done with her foundation. By the way, did you know that Paqui and Beth Rex (Coach Kelly’s Director of Football Administration) attempted to climb Mount Kilimanjaro? I will be filling you in shortly on their attempt.
HOLDOVER QUESTION…Baseball season is winding down here with over two-thirds of the season already complete, so it’s time for a baseball question. Yes, I did pose this question the other night on twitter when Samardzija had thrown 4.2 innings of no-hit ball…
Who was the last Notre Dame baseball player to pitch a no-hitter in the Major Leagues?
You will find the answer in Friday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You) … if the question is answered correctly…
- Track. Irish Prepared for Split-Squad Competition
- W. Golf. Irish Await Elite Field at Bryan National Collegiate
- W. Basketball. Turner's All-America Honors Continue
- M. Basketball. Colson Nabs AP All-America Accolade
- W. Volleyball. Q&A On Irish Volleyball Junior Sam Fry's National Team Tryout
- Baseball. Rally Pushes Irish By Cougars
- M. Basketball. Matt Ryan Granted Release For Contact With Other Schools
- Fencing. Replay: NCAA Title in My Eyes
- Softball. Irish Entertain EMU Eagles Wednesday Evening
- M. Ice Hockey. Jackson Named One of 10 Finalists For Spencer Penrose Award
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE WEEK @NDWomensLax goalie Samantha Giacolone earns national honor after making 13 saves in w… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 42 minutes ago
- 🏒 @NCAA Coach of the Year Finalist @NDHockey coach Jeff Jackson is a top-10 finalist for the Spencer Penrose Award. und.com/sports/m-hocke… 6 hours ago
- ⚾️ IRISH RALLY PAST CHICAGO STATE @NDBaseball downs Chicago State 7-4 with a trio of 2-run innings. Game Recap: und.com/sports/m-baseb… 9 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: “I can’t tell you how proud we are of you.” - Coach Jackson Relive @NDHockey’s 3-2 OT win vs. UMass Lowell. NEXT: On t… 23 hours ago
- ☘ After beating #4 Ohio State 12-7... 2 @NDlacrosse stars earn ACC Player of the Week! Sergio Perkovic John Sexton und.com/sports/m-lacro… 1 day ago