Aug 2, 2013, 10:28 AM EST
Timing is everything. Yesterday that saying rung true once again. The answer to our daily trivia question (see below) actually retired from the MLB yesterday after signing a contract with the Philadelphia Phillies. Brad Lidge signed with the Phillies yesterday, then retired with them.
We have had a large amount of original content going out on the blogosphere in the past week – catch up with the links below.
Way Back Wednesday – Moose’s Congressional Photo (Irish UNDerground)
Knight Plays In The Motherland (In The Paint)
Abro’s MBA To NBA Journey (In The Paint)
A Month Of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football (Strong & True)
Additionally, our ‘meeting the freshman’ series with the Irish men’s basketball team finished yesterday with the release of McDonald’s All-American Demetrius Jackson (Click Here To Read). Previously we have spotlighted V.J. Beachem (Click Here To Read), Steve Vasturia (Click Here To Read) and Austin Torres (Click Here To Read).
Yesterday’s trivia question (Who was the last Notre Dame baseball player to pitch a no-hitter in the Major Leagues?) was answered correctly through e-mail by Notre Dame’s own Patricia Bellia. Bellia, a professor of law and Notre Dame Presidential Fellow in the Notre Dame Law School, she has been a part of the University’s Faculty Board on Athletics and its NCAA faculty athletics representative. Nonetheless, it was an honor having her respond to the question AND get it correct! The answer? Brad Lidge. Lidge helped the Astros throw a no-hitter by committee back in 2003 against the yankees. Six different Astros took the bump on that day after starter Roy Oswalt went down in the second inning of the contest with an injury.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame related trivia question will be found at the bottom of ‘Things I Found Interesting’ … we have begun to accumulate prizes so we can give them away for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then ‘shout outs’ will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry, I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Baseball – Lidge Retires From Baseball (LINK-MLB.com)
Former Notre Dame pitcher Brad Lidge retired yesterday from Major League Baseball with the Philadelphia Phillies after signing a contract with the team. A three-year member of the Fighting Irish, Lidge saw action in 32 games, starting 22 of them. He left South Bend with 13 wins and 224 less saves than he had in his MLB career (225 saves). While in the MLB Lidge recorded 225 saves throughout an 11-year career. His shining moment in the pros was his perfect 41-for-41 season where he didn’t blow a save and closing out the final game of the 2008 World Series. Click the link above to read more about Lidge’s retirement.
- 2. Men’s Basketball – Tory Jackson Resumes Professional Career (LINK-MLive.com)
Former Notre Dame men’s basketball player Tory Jackson has decided to leave his post as head men’s basketball coach at Buena Vista High School and try his hand at professional basketball once again, this time in Germany. Click the link above to read more.
- 3. Football – Kelly Has Faith in Rees (LINK-NBCSports.com)
The preseason expectations of the Notre Dame football team have hinged on the quarterback position and Tommy Rees to be more specific. If you ask Coach Kelly, you shouldn’t worry. Tommy will play just fine. To read more on what Coach Kelly has to say about Tommy, click the link above.
- 4. Football – Irish Look To Continue Encores (LINK-ChicagoTribune.com)
After a season that saw the Irish record a flawless 12-0 record in the regular season, Notre Dame looks to make a splash this season by following up the campaign with another great season. The Tribune’s Brian Hamilton looks at the many moments that the Irish can make this year and the expectations that surround the squad. Click the link above to read more.
- 5. Women’s Basketball – Team Set To Visit Europe (LINK-UND.com)
On Saturday afternoon, the Notre Dame women’s basketball program — all 13 players (including its four incoming freshmen), plus the coaches and support staff (a total travel party of nearly 40 people) — will embark on a 10-day European tour from Aug. 3-13 that will take them to England and Spain and see the Fighting Irish play three games against quality European competition during that time. The Notre Dame travel party also will have the chance to enjoy several of the greatest historical sites in Europe, from Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament in London, to the La Sagrada Familia and Montjuic Hill in Barcelona, and on to the Museo del Prado and Gran Via in Madrid.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
Fortuna’s Key Questions Heading Into Football Camp (ESPN.com) – ESPN.com’s Matt Fortuna answers some burning questions about the Irish football squad as fall camp approaches…
Notre Dame Could Develop Into Top-10 Team (USAToday.com) – USA Today looks at the upcoming Irish season and what we can expect from Notre Dame over the next few months.
Tweet That Made Me Chuckle…
Yes, this just happened…
— Colin Gallagher (@RittzBiffz) July 30, 2013
Notre Dame Video Of The Day
With Brad Lidge retiring yesterday I felt we should go back to one of his greatest moments … the 2008 World Series clincher.
Just a little basketball trivia for your friday
There are two Notre Dame men’s basketball players who have scored 1,000 points and dropped 600 assists. Name them?You will find the answer in Monday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You) … if the question is answered correctly…
- W. Basketball. Allen, No. 5 Irish Cruise Past Boston College on Senior Night
- Baseball. Tony Gwynn Classic Takes Irish To San Diego
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Northwestern
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Honored as Postgraduate Scholarship Recipient
- Baseball. Chance Of Rain Alters Tony Gwynn Classic Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Capitalize In 5-2 Win Over Purdue
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Have Everything To Play For At Boston University
- W. Basketball. Irish Welcome Eagles On Senior Night
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Battle Phoenix to Open Road Trip
- General News. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️PROGRAM FIRST This weekend, @NDXCTF hosts ACC Indoor Track & Field Championships for the 1st time. The team is… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 hour ago
- The Mike Brey Radio Show is LIVE, presented by the experts at Tire Rack. WATCH: UND.com/breyradioshow https://t.co/BA18vIgH8P 3 hours ago
- Thursday @ndwbb plays Boston College for a share of its 4th regular season ACC title. #TBT to ND's 81-70 win vs Du… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- 🏀 Which NBA legend does @NDmbb's Elijah Burns want to meet? Get to know Elijah on Inside ND Basketball. 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🏀 This week the @NDmbb assistant coaches are on the road recruiting. Practice is all Coach Brey. 👀@NDMikeBrey https://t.co/Tee1WaFZQq 1 day ago