Aug 5, 2013, 10:34 AM EST
Football season is here and that means the Irish are in training camp and we have some new jerseys for our Shamrock Series game in North Texas in the beginning of October. Here are some pictures of the new jersey and helmet that will be used for that game.
We have had a large amount of original content going out on the blogosphere in the past week – catch up with the links below.
Media Musings – Five Things I Am Still Wondering (Strong & True)
Way Back Wednesday – Moose’s Congressional Photo (Irish UNDerground)
Knight Plays In The Motherland (In The Paint)
Abro’s MBA To NBA Journey (In The Paint)
A Month Of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football (Strong & True)
Also remember to keep up with “A Month of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football” (Link) … this piece gives you something to either do that is Notre Dame centric or watch a former Irish student-athlete playing in a national/international tournament or league. Today you should check out Notre Dame women’s golfer Talia Campbell as she plays in the U.S. Women’s Amateur at the Country Club of Charleston in Charleston, S.C. You can follow Talia as she tees off at 12:30 p.m. (ET) here. Yesterday we had you watch Jonas Gray and the Miami Dolphins on our countdown and he didn’t disappoint. Gray accumulated 76 yards on just 11 touches during the game.
Friday’s trivia question (There are two Notre Dame men’s basketball players who have scored 1,000 points and dropped 600 assists. Name them.) was not answered. Therefore, we have yet another holdover question.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have begun to accumulate prizes so we can give them away for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then “shout outs” will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry, I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Key Position Battles As Camp Opens (LINK-UHND.com)
Notre Dame football coach Brian Kelly opened up his press conference last week by talking about some of the key position battles and players that had made jumps from off-season workouts. The guys at UHND.com look at each position and talk about the potential candidates to see time at each particular spot. You can read more at the link above.
- 2. Football – Success Not Spoiling Nix (LINK-SouthBendTribune.com)
Louis Nix has always been somewhat of a character. Making people laugh everywhere he turns. With the success and national acclaim he has received these past few months and years, Nix has stayed the same. A level-headed football player on the field and a comedian off of it. Nix is on almost every college football watch list this fall for his stellar play last season. To read more on him click the link above.
- 3. Football – Speaking With Swarbrick (LINK-SouthBendTribune.com)
Jack Swarbrick sat down with a member of the South Bend Tribune staff to talk about everything from Shamrock Series uniforms to Notre Dame Stadium improvements. Click the link above to learn more.
- 4. Women’s Basketball – #EuroTrip 2013 (LINK-UND.com)
While they may not look like Christopher Columbus or have arrived by boat, the Notre Dame women’s basketball team did its own bit of exploring as the program’s third European tour and first since 2009 got underway Sunday when the Fighting Irish travel party touched down at London’s Heathrow Airport. For eight of the 13 Notre Dame players on the Notre Dame roster, this represents their first trip to the “Old Continent,” and for some, such as freshman center Diamond Thompson, this is their initial journey outside the United States. You can read more at the link provided above.
- 5. Men’s Basketball – Former Notre Dame Assistant Joins Colorado Staff (LINK-NBCSports.com)
Sean Kearney, former Notre Dame men’s basketball assistant coach, joined the staff at Colorado this past week as Director of Player Development under head coach Tad Boyle. Kearney worked at Notre Dame for numerous seasons before being named the head coach at Holy Cross. Click the link above to learn more.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
Rees To Start From The Start (Chicago Sun-Times) – The Sun-Times looks at what made Coach Kelly choose Rees to be starting quarterback…
Will Notre Dame Women Find Identity Abroad (South Bend Tribune) – How will this trip gel the Notre Dame women’s basketball squad? The South Bend Tribune’s Curt Rallo tells you more…
2013 Top-25 Notre Dame Football Players: #21 Elijah Shumate (UHND.com) – UHND.com continues its countdown of profiling Notre Dame players…
Tweet That Made Me Chuckle…
When talking about the Shamrock Series jerseys… Only difference is, Tommy has better accuracy than the Stormtroopers…
If you’re calling them “irish storm trooper” then i’m calling them “an unqualified success”
— oak (@oaknd1) August 5, 2013
Notre Dame Video Of The Day
Yeah adidas Shamrock Series promotional material!
HOLDOVER ALERT!!! Just a little basketball trivia for you…
There are two Notre Dame men’s basketball players who have scored 1,000 points and dropped 600 assists. Name them?
You will find the answer in Tuesday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You) … if the question is answered correctly…
- W. Basketball. Allen, No. 5 Irish Cruise Past Boston College on Senior Night
- Baseball. Tony Gwynn Classic Takes Irish To San Diego
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Northwestern
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Honored as Postgraduate Scholarship Recipient
- Baseball. Chance Of Rain Alters Tony Gwynn Classic Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Capitalize In 5-2 Win Over Purdue
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Have Everything To Play For At Boston University
- W. Basketball. Irish Welcome Eagles On Senior Night
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Battle Phoenix to Open Road Trip
- General News. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️PROGRAM FIRST This weekend, @NDXCTF hosts ACC Indoor Track & Field Championships for the 1st time. The team is… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 hour ago
- The Mike Brey Radio Show is LIVE, presented by the experts at Tire Rack. WATCH: UND.com/breyradioshow https://t.co/BA18vIgH8P 3 hours ago
- Thursday @ndwbb plays Boston College for a share of its 4th regular season ACC title. #TBT to ND's 81-70 win vs Du… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- 🏀 Which NBA legend does @NDmbb's Elijah Burns want to meet? Get to know Elijah on Inside ND Basketball. 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🏀 This week the @NDmbb assistant coaches are on the road recruiting. Practice is all Coach Brey. 👀@NDMikeBrey https://t.co/Tee1WaFZQq 1 day ago