Aug 6, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Yesterday the Shamrock Series football jersey was unveiled and overall the praise was positive from all parties involved. Many other Notre Dame fall camps open today as women’s soccer gets underway for their season-opening exhibition match on August 14.
We have had a large amount of original content going out on the blogosphere in the past week – catch up with the links below.
Not Your Father’s Uniforms (Strong & True)
Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Team Building (Strong & True)
Media Musings – Five Things I Am Still Wondering (Strong & True)
Way Back Wednesday – Moose’s Congressional Photo (Irish UNDerground)
Knight Plays In The Motherland (In The Paint)
Abro’s MBA To NBA Journey (In The Paint)
A Month Of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football (Strong & True)
Also remember to keep up with “A Month of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football” (Link) … this piece gives you something to either do that is Notre Dame centric or to watch a former Irish student-athlete playing in a national/international tournament or league. Today you should wish Notre Dame football student-athlete Corey Robinson’s dad, David, a happy birthday. He turns 47 today. Yesterday, Notre Dame women’s golfer Talia Campbell shot an 80 in the opening round of the U.S. Women’s Amateur at the Country Club of Charleston in Charleston, S.C. You can follow Talia’s second-round of play here.
Friday’s trivia question (There are two Notre Dame men’s basketball players who have scored 1,000 points and dropped 600 assists. Name them.) has still not been answered correctly. Therefore we have yet another holdover question.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame related trivia question will be found at the bottom of ‘Things I Found Interesting’ … we have begun to accumulate prizes so we can give them away for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then ‘shout outs’ will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry, I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Did You See Our New Jerseys? (LINK-UND.com)
adidas and the University of Notre Dame today unveiled alternate TECHFIT football uniforms the Irish will wear on October 5 for their annual Shamrock Series game. In this year’s Shamrock Series game, Notre Dame will face off against Arizona State at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Notre Dame’s new Shamrock Series adidas TECHFIT jersey is all-white with metallic gold and kelly green shamrock accents, Celtic numbers and an interlocking “ND” logo on the back neck. Notre Dame’s kelly green adidas TECHFIT baselayer highlights “FIGHTIN’ IRISH” on the chest and “ND” on each bicep. The Irish’s helmet features Notre Dame’s signature textured gold with a gold chrome shamrock detail on each side and a kelly green chrome face mask. Notre Dame will wear adidas Team Speed vertical socks with Crazyquick and adizero 5-Star 2.0 cleats.
- 2. Football – Casper To Be Enshrined In College Football Hall of Fame (LINK-UND.com)
Former University of Notre Dame football All-America tight end David Casper will be enshrined in the National Football Foundation College Football Hall of Fame at an Aug. 28 ceremony in Atlanta. The 1973 consensus All-American is one of 24 former college players and coaches who will be enshrined–including the 2012 Football Bowl Subdivision class and the 2013 Divisional inductees. The ’12 FBS class previously was inducted at the 55th annual awards dinner last December at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. The NFF will stage the 2013 enshrinement ceremony at the Omni Hotel at CNN Center in Atlanta. Hosted by the NFF, Atlanta Hall Management and the Atlanta Sports Council, the event marks the first time that Atlanta will preside over the enshrinement. The celebration builds on the significant progress made on the construction of the new 94,256-square-foot home for the Hall, which will open in the fall of 2014 in the heart of Atlanta’s Centennial Olympic Park sports, tourism and entertainment district.
- 3. Football – Summer Endeavor Opens Doors For Jones (LINK-ESPN.com)
Matt Fortuna looks at the summer internship that Notre Dame football wide receiver T.J. Jones took part in at the Florida Aquarium in Tampa, Fla. Feel free to click the link above for Fortuna’s take on the great experience Jones had while learning about our underwater ecosystem.
- 4. Women’s Basketball – #EuroTrip 2013 (LINK-UND.com)
As the Notre Dame women’s basketball team criss-crossed London, visiting some of the city’s recognizable landmarks on the second day of its European tour, one pressing question seemed to be in the back of everyone’s mind — would they see the Royal Baby?Of course, the chances of that happening were virtually non-existent, but that didn’t keep the Fighting Irish players and coaches from gazing hopefully through the gates at Buckingham Palace, at the base of the steps of St. Paul’s Cathedral and from the banks of the River Thames near Tower Bridge, wondering if the littlest royal, His Royal Highness Prince George, would make an appearance. You can read more at the link provided above.
- 5. Football – Lewis-Moore Not Rushing Back (LINK-Baltimore Sun)
After injuring his knee in the BCS Championship Game, Kapron Lewis-Moore was selected in the sixth round of the 2013 NFL Draft. Lewis-Moore doesn’t plan on stepping onto the field until his injury has completely healed even if that means he sits out his entire first season on an NFL roster. Click the link provided above to read more about Lewis-Moore and his injury.
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
Notre Dame’s Defense Looks to Deliver Again (Chicago Sun-TImes) – This story takes a look at what has changed since last season and what student-athlete is planning on stepping up to fill the holes left by defensive stalwarts.
10 Questions For Notre Dame Football (UHND.com) – The main questions that UHND.com feels need to be answered for the 2013 football season.
2013 Top-25 Notre Dame Football Players: #20 Christian Lombard (UHND.com) – UHND.com continues their countdown of profiling Notre Dame players.
Tweet Conversation That Made Me Chuckle…
Had a great time chatting with Jay Bilas, this twitter conversation went from admiring Jay’s “awesomeness” to making fun of the former @NDSportsBloggers sweater that had ‘2011’ written on it…
— Ryan Camden (@rscamden) August 6, 2013
— josh flynt (@jflyntnd518) August 6, 2013
— Jay Bilas (@JayBilas) August 6, 2013
Notre Dame Video Of The Day
Shamrock Series uniform unveil from the Notre Dame football team.
HOLDOVER ALERT!!! Will someone just answer this question correctly?!?!?!
There are two Notre Dame men’s basketball players who have scored 1,000 points and dropped 600 assists. Name them?
You will find the answer in Tuesday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You) … if the question is answered correctly…
- Softball. Irish Freshmen Rule The Field At Melissa Cook Vs. Michigan St.
- W. Soccer. Spring Opener With Purdue Moved Up To Friday
- Swimming & Diving. Strong Start for No. 19 Notre Dame Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. NCAA Northeast Regional Awaits
- Swimming & Diving. No. 19 Notre Dame Men's Swimming and Diving Set to Compete at NCAA Championships
- W. Soccer. Yu Heads To Camp With U-23 Women's National Team
- Fencing. Keys To The Meet: 2017 NCAA Fencing Championships
- Swimming & Diving. Inside Irish: 2017 NCAA Division I Women's Swimming and Diving Championships
- Baseball. Irish Walk By Huskies
- Softball. Irish Mark Return To Melissa Cook Stadium Vs. MSU
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ Winning With Style! Michigan State goes down as @NDSoftball walks-off in home opener. ND 11 | MSU 3 https://t.co/vgKqj4gWpR 13 hours ago
- ☘ IRISH vs. BUCKEYES Watch #2 @NDlacrosse take on #4 Ohio State at home. Saturday | 2pm TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago
- 💯 Fresh Jerseys ☀️ Bright Sky ☘ It's Game Day! @NDSoftball kicks off its home opener. ND vs. MSU | 4:30pm 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- ⚾️ IRISH WIN HOME OPENER @NDBaseball recorded two 5-run innings in its 12-1 win over Northern Illinois. 📽 Highlig… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ☘ IRISH DOMINATE ACC FENCING Men's & Women's @NDFencing teams combine for 4 of 6 ACC Fencer of the Year awards. und.com/sports/c-fenc/… 1 day ago