Aug 8, 2013, 10:33 AM EST
First off, I’d like to congratulate former Notre Dame men’s basketball player Stan Wilcox on being named the Athletics Director at Florida State University. Wilcox, a member of the men’s basketball team in the 1980’s, left his deputy AD position at Duke to move to Tallahassee, Fla.
The PGA Championship kicks off today so I’m sure all of you will be glued to your television to watch that as the day progresses. Nonetheless, keep an eye out for Max Scodro in the PGA Tour Canada event this week. He is entering the weekend tied for fifth.
Before I forget I need to congratulate my parents on their 31st wedding anniversary today. That’s a long time…
We have had a large amount of original content going out on the blogosphere in the past week – catch up with the links below.
Way Back Wednesday – Jake Kline’s Hanna Batrite Bat (Irish UNDerground)
Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Freshmen Melodies (Strong & True)
Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Takeaways (Strong & True)
Not Your Father’s Uniforms (Strong & True)
Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Team Building (Strong & True)
Media Musings – Five Things I Am Still Wondering (Strong & True)
Way Back Wednesday – Moose’s Congressional Photo (Irish UNDerground)
Knight Plays In The Motherland (In The Paint)
Abro’s MBA To NBA Journey (In The Paint)
A Month Of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football (Strong & True)
Also remember to keep up with “A Month of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football” (Link) … this piece gives you something to either do that is Notre Dame centric or watch a former Irish student-athlete playing in a national/international tournament or league. Today you should tune in to the Cincinnati Bengals and Atlanta Falcons preseason football game at 8 pm (ET) on ESPN. You will be able to watch a trio of former Notre Dame student-athletes battle on the gridiron. 2013 NFL first round draft pick Tyler Eifert suits up for the Bengals alongside offensive lineman Trevor Robinson while Zeke Motta dons the black and red Falcons uniform. Yesterday, we told you to watch the Montreal Impact take on the San Jose Earthquakes in MLS action. This match pitted two of Notre Dame’s top MLS talents, Justin Morrow (San Jose) and Jeb Brovsky (Montreal). Brovsky’s Montreal Impact would win 1-0.
Yesterday’s trivia question (what current NFL quarterback and former Irish signal caller was the last Notre Dame quarterback to win the Maxwell Award (top college football player in the nation)?) was answered quickly by Mike Harvey (@NDHarv85). The correct answer was Brady Quinn.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have begun to accumulate prizes so we can give them away for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then “shout outs” will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry, I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Men’s Golf – Scodro Makes First PGA Tour Canada (LINK-PGATOURCanada.com)
After a prolific career at Notre Dame, Max Scodro took his two BIG EAST medalist wins on the road to begin his professional golfing career. A full-time member on both the PGA Tour – Canada and PGA Tour – Latin America, Scodro has had a rough time stringing together solid rounds to make the cut. After an opening round 66 yesterday at the ATB Financial Classic on the PGA Tour – Canada, Scodro shot a second-round 69 (-3) to put him in a tie for fifth heading into the weekend. You can follow along with Max’s round today here.
- 2. Men’s Basketball – ACC Big Monday Tabs Irish Twice (LINK-UND.com)
Atlantic Coast Conference men’s basketball will be featured on ESPN during the upcoming 2013-14 campaign. For the first time in history, the ACC will be part of ESPN’s Big Monday telecast and Notre Dame figures prominently into those plans with two Fighting Irish games on the docket. Notre Dame, no stranger to the primetime broadcast slot, will be have its matchups at Syracuse on Feb. 3, 2014 and at North Carolina on March 3, 2014 showcased on ESPN’s Big Monday. North Carolina and Virginia will have three Big Monday showdowns, while the Irish, Duke, Maryland and Syracuse each are slated for two appearances.
- 3. Football – Riddick Makes Moves At Lions Camp (LINK-DetroitNews.com)
After an up and down OTA session after joining the Detroit Lions, former Notre Dame running back Theo Riddick is finding his way as training camp has begun. As the preseason gets into full swing we will look for Riddick to show the flash and poise he did handling the ball at Notre Dame, just this time in the NFL. Click the link above to read more on Riddick.
- 4. Women’s Basketball – #EuroTrip 2013 (LINK-UND.com)
The day after a dominating performance in the first game of its European tour, the Notre Dame women’s basketball team found a bit more time to take in some more British landmarks on its final day in London. Without question, no trip to the United Kingdom would be complete without a trip to the All-England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club, or known better to most people simply as Wimbledon. On Wednesday, a handful of Fighting Irish staffers ventured a half-hour southwest of downtown London to see the home of what many call the crown jewel of tennis’ Grand Slam.
- 5. Football – Louis Nix III Wants To Have Staying Power (LINK-Chicago Tribune)
Notre Dame football nose guard Louis Nix III had a stellar year playing the “0” technique last year for the Irish. He is out to prove that last season is not a fluke and the Irish can again reach the BCS Championship game. Click the link above to learn more from Brian Hamilton.
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
Abromaitis Driven By NBA Dreams (Republican American) – Looks at what former Notre Dame basketball star Tim Abromaitis is doing to achieve his dream.
History Lesson: 1943 Championship Squad (UHND.com) – The historians at UHND.com bring you another great lesson on the past of Notre Dame football.
Tweet That Made Me Chuckle…
You definitely need to see this, only about 35 years old …
— ND Men’s Soccer (@NDMenSoccer) August 8, 2013
Notre Dame Video Of The Day
You think the football team will ever actually practice?
Here is a random college football question as we get closer to football season…
In 1907, the Notre Dame football team went unbeaten but tied one game to finish 6-0-1. What team did the tie 0-0 for their only non win? HINT: University is from the midwest and is not considered a college football powerhouse.
You will find the answer in Friday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You) … if the question is answered correctly…
- W. Basketball. No. 2 Irish Renew Border Battle with (-/RV) DePaul
- W. Soccer. A Look Back: 2017 Top Moments
- General News. Irish Student-Athletes Celebrate 21st Annual Pediatric Christmas Party
- M. Basketball. #Breyteen - Irish Outlast Butler In Overtime Thriller
- W. Basketball. Three Former Irish Named to 2017-20 USA National Team Pool
- W. Soccer. Yu Named Scholar All-American
- Football. Mike McGlinchey Named 101st Consensus All-American In School History
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Announces Details For Annual NDLaxTV National Coaching Clinic
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Indiana - Five Things To Know
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named 34th Unanimous All-American In School History
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ✅ 7️⃣ games with over 💯 rush yards ✅ 9️⃣ TDs ✅ 8️⃣5️⃣-yard TD vs. USC @NDFootball's Josh Adams was named the Of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Time to hoop with the Hoosiers. The #CrossroadsClassic tips off at 2:30 p.m. ET when @NDmbb faces Indiana. 📺 FOX… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- And the winner is... Check out all the award 🏆 winners from @NDFootball's annual awards show, Echoes. ⤵️… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- Out with the old. Tumbling in with the new. Send a volley cheer on high because @NDCheerTeam's new uniforms will… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- Welcome to Indiana basketball. @NDmbb heads to Indianapolis to take on the rival Hoosiers at 2:30 p.m. ET for the… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago