Aug 9, 2013, 9:26 AM EDT
We are getting so close to the beginning of fall sports starting up and only 22 days until the beginning of football season for the Irish. Until then we will continue to spotlight former Irish student-athletes in their professional endeavors. In addition to talking about former men’s golfer Max Scodro, former baseball player Jeff Manship got the start for the Colorado Rockies against the New York Mets. Manship went five innings, allowing just two earned runs.
Remember to keep up with A Month of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football … this piece gives you something to either do that is Notre Dame centric or watch a former Irish student-athlete playing in a national/international tournament or league. Today we had planned to have you watch Jeff Samardzija take the bump for the Chicago Cubs, but his start was moved up a day and he pitched yesterday. Therefore, we are amending our countdown to have you pay attention to the final round of the PGA Tour – Canada event with Max Scodro in contention. Yesterday we asked you to watch the Cincinnati Bengals play the Atlanta Falcons so you can see a triumvirate of former Irish players; Tyler Eifert, Trevor Robinson and Zeke Motta.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a large amount of original content going out on the blogosphere in the past week – catch up with the links below.
- Way Back Wednesday – Jake Kline’s Hanna Batrite Bat (Irish UNDerground)
- Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Freshmen Melodies (Strong & True)
- Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Takeaways (Strong & True)
- Not Your Father’s Uniforms (Strong & True)
- Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Team Building (Strong & True)
- Media Musings – Five Things I Am Still Wondering (Strong & True)
- Way Back Wednesday – Moose’s Congressional Photo (Irish UNDerground)
- Knight Plays In The Motherland (In The Paint)
- Abro’s MBA To NBA Journey (In The Paint)
- A Month Of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football (Strong & True)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
Yesterday’s trivia question: (In 1907, the Notre Dame football team went unbeaten but tied one game to finish 6-0-1. What team did the tie 0-0 for their only non win? HINT: University is from the midwest and is not considered a college football powerhouse.) was easier than I thought (or some of you looked it up… but the first to answer the question correctly was Michael Ortiz (@sfortiz). The correct answer was Indiana University.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have begun to accumulate prizes so we can give them away for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then “shout outs” will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry, I’ll let you know if you are right.
Five Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)
Now, what did we miss…
- Men’s Golf – Scodro In Position Entering Final Round (LINK-PGATOURCanada.com)
Max Scodro’s great week on the golf course continued as the two-time BIG EAST medalist and former Irish captain shot a two-under par 70 to move to 11-under par for the tournament entering the final round. Positioned four back of the lead in a tie for 4th place, Scodro is in a prime spot to pick up the biggest pay day of his young golfing career in this PGA Tour – Canada event. You can follow along with Max’s round today here.
- Football – One Foot Down’s 1924 History Series(LINK-OneFootDown.com)
In the final Part VI of the One Foot Down story series “1924,” Notre Dame travels to California to play in their first postseason game and comes back to Indiana as the darlings of America with the school’s first consensus national title. To read more click the link above.
- Football – Top-25 Players In Notre Dame Football Countdown Continues (LINK-UHND.com)
UHND.com continues their countdown of the top-25 Notre Dame football players on the 2013 squad. In the 18th-spot they have chosen Jarrett Grace. To read more click the link above.
- Women’s Basketball – #EuroTrip 2013 (LINK-UND.com)
It may be Notre Dame’s first season in the Atlantic Coast Conference, but one could hardly blame Natalie Achonwa for getting on the phone to ACC commissioner John Swofford and lobbying for France to be added to the conference before the 2013-14 season tips off in November. Achonwa scored six of her team-high 13 points in a 12-4 third-quarter run as the Fighting Irish collected their second win in three days on their European tour, pulling away in the second half to defeat the French All-Stars, 75-57 on Thursday night at Pavelo El Moli in Lloret de Mar, Spain (located about 50 miles northeast of Barcelona).>
- Volleyball – Irish Volleyball On The Tube (LINK-UND.com)
University of Notre Dame volleyball fans will be able to watch the Irish more than ever in the program’s first year in the Atlantic Coast Conference as six league contests will be broadcast live on ESPN3, the ACC announced Thursday. Notre Dame will first appear on ESPN3 during its road swing through the Palmetto and Peach States as the Irish play at Clemson (South Carolina) Oct. 11 before meeting Georgia Tech in Atlanta Oct. 12. Both matches will get underway at 7 p.m. (ET). Following that initial appearance on the network the Irish will then play host to ESPN3 broadcasts against Florida State (Oct. 20), Pittsburgh (Nov. 3), Boston College (Nov. 29) and Syracuse (Nov. 30) at Purcell Pavilion. All ESPN3 games can be watched on computers, smartphones, tablets, Xbox and Apple TV via the WatchESPN app. In addition to ESPN3, the other 10 home matches can be viewed live on WatchND at UND.com.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
Irish Men’s Track and Field Squad Honored For Work In Classroom (UND.com) – The squad earned BIG EAST Team Academic Excellence Awards for the 2012-13 school year.
Tweets That Made Me Chuckle…
Max Scodro bringing the funk after he completed his third round in what I’m guessing was some brisk weather…
So let me get this straight, you’re gonna give me this beautiful sweater weather and think I wasn’t gonna be in contention?! Playa please.
— Max Scodro (@mscodro) August 8, 2013
I’ve got the longest drive of the week. 404 yards! Say what!!! Not bad for a little dude!
— Max Scodro (@mscodro) August 8, 2013
Notre Dame Video Of The Day
Niall Platt won the Southern California Golf Association Match Play Championship for the second time in as many years a few days ago and the SCGA interviewed Niall after the round.
Some NFL-randomness on a Friday…
Who was the last Notre Dame football player to score a touchdown in the NFL?
You will find the answer in Monday’s “Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)” … if the question is answered correctly…
- Swimming & Diving. World Championships Underway For Plaschka
- Fencing. Nelip Snares Silver At FIE Senior World Championships
- Bigger Than Brick. Big Improvements in Game Day Experience
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Recycling Benches
- W. Soccer. Jacobs to Compete with U-23 Women's National Team in Seattle
- Bigger Than Brick. `Going Green' at Notre Dame Stadium
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Comparisons
- Track & Field. Murray Speaks to Write on Sports Campers
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick | Looking Around
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Sends Contingent to NHL Development Camps
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 We've revamped the concession stands at Notre Dame Stadium. 🔹 New Look 🔹 New Food 🔹 New TV Monitors Here's a sn… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- ☘ What's new at ND Stadium? Video Board Concessions Stands Hall of Fame Display Check out the new fan amenities: und.com/sports/biggert… 21 hours ago
- 🏈 ND FACT The old Notre Dame Stadium benches have been repurposed in the stadium & 3 adjoining buildings.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ☘️ NEW SEATING! We decked out ND Stadium with new benches in time for the 2017 season. #NDBiggerThanBrick https://t.co/uUCasQHn3D 1 day ago
- 🏈 STADIUM UPGRADES 100% of the stadium seating has been repurposed or recycled. Check out the new benches.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago