Aug 12, 2013, 10:09 AM EDT
We have a big week for Notre Dame athletics here as the women’s soccer team gets their exhibition season underway and Matt Besler (subject to change) is slated to get back on the field for the US Men’s National Team in World Cup Qualifying play. Both of these events are planned for Wednesday.
Before we begin, a big congratulations goes out to former Notre Dame men’s golfer Max Scodro. Last week Scodro made his first cut of the season on the PGA Tour – Canada and tallied his first top-10 finish! Making over $4,300 for his stellar play, Scodro is primed for a big finish to the season.
With the introduction of the new line of officially licensed adidas sideline gear for Notre Dame, we have decided to give away a few items through a contest.
The first contest is very simple … make a video. Click here to learn how you can bring home the new adidas gear.
Remember to keep up with A Month of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football … this piece gives you something to either do that is Notre Dame centric or watch a former Irish student-athlete playing in a national/international tournament or league. Today you need to follow current Irish men’s golfers Tyler Wingo and Andrew Lane as they begin the USGA’s United States Amateur Championship todya. Wingo tees off at 8:20 a.m. on Charles River Country Club while Lane is in the afternoon wave (1:10 p.m. tee time) on The Country Club (at Brookline). You can follow their rounds here. Yesterday you were supposed to tune to the Indianapolis Colts/Buffalo Bills NFL preseason contest. Four former Notre Dame football student-athletes were members of those two teams; Brian Smith and Sam Young with the Bills and Robert Hughes and Sergio Brown (inactive) with the Colts)
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a large amount of original content going out on the blogosphere in the past week – catch up with the links below.
- Way Back Wednesday – Jake Kline’s Hanna Batrite Bat (Irish UNDerground)
- Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Freshmen Melodies (Strong & True)
- Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Takeaways (Strong & True)
- Not Your Father’s Uniforms (Strong & True)
- Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Team Building (Strong & True)
- Media Musings – Five Things I Am Still Wondering (Strong & True)
- Way Back Wednesday – Moose’s Congressional Photo (Irish UNDerground)
- Knight Plays In The Motherland (In The Paint)
- Abro’s MBA To NBA Journey (In The Paint)
- A Month Of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football (Strong & True)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
Yesterday’s trivia question (Who was the last Notre Dame football player to score a touchdown in the NFL (games that count)?) was simple for all of you … oh wait … no one answered it correctly.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have begun to accumulate prizes so we can give them away for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then “shout outs” will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry, I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Hamilton’s Practice Report (LINK-Chicago Tribune)
Brian Hamilton, the Chicago Tribune’s Notre Dame beat writer, was on hand for Notre Dame’s first open practice on Friday. His observations go from who will line up at the running back position, how the freshmen look and what motto Coach Bob Diaco is preaching in camp. To read Hamilton’s thoughts, click the link above.
- 2. Women’s Soccer – Exhibition Slate Looms (LINK-UND.com)
The 2012 edition of the University of Notre Dame women’s soccer team adopted the moniker “Baby Irish,” as a total of 12 freshmen saw the field for last season’s squad that reached the NCAA Women’s College Cup Elite Eight. One year later the “Baby Irish” have grown into sophomores, but head coach Randy Waldrum again finds himself in the position of welcoming a large freshmen contingent, Mariel Adams, Morgan Andrews, Emily Geyer, Kaela Little, Rilka Noel, Kaleigh Olmsted, Cindy Pineda and Sandra Yu, in 2013. To read more click the link above.
- 3. Football – Top-25 Players In Notre Dame Football Countdown Continues (LINK-UHND.com)
UHND.com continues their countdown of the top-25 Notre Dame football players on the 2013 squad. In the 16th-spot they have chosen Danny Spond. To read more click the link above.
- 4. Women’s Basketball – #EuroTrip 2013 (LINK-UND.com)
One of the highlights of the Notre Dame women’s basketball team’s 2013 European tour was a visit to La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, a majestic Roman Catholic basilica that began to take shape in the latter part of the 19th century, but remains unfinished and could continue in that form until at least 2026. In much the same way, this year’s version of the Fighting Irish is unfinished, although they took steps in a positive direction during their 10-day trip to Europe, capped off Sunday afternoon with a wire-to-wire 75-67 victory over the French All-Stars at Polideportivo Antonio Margarinos in Madrid. Notre Dame won all three games on this summer’s European tour, the last two against the French side that is comprised of young professional players who also suit up for France’s Under-20, Under-18 and 3×3 World Championship teams. To read more click the link above.
- 5. Men’s Golf – Pair of Irish Golfer Battle At The Country Club (LINK-UND.com)
University of Notre Dame men’s golfers Andrew Lane and Tyler Wingo will each have the chance to showcase their skills on the national stage Monday during the first round of stroke play at the 113th United States Amateur Championship at The Country Club in Brookline, Mass. The Irish pair are the first Notre Dame players to qualify for the premier amateur tournament since All-American Max Scodro was in the field in 2011. Scodro finished in a tie for 19th place in the stroke play portion of the 2011 championship (67-72-139). To read more click the link above.
Running Back Position Wide Open (Chicago Tribune) – Brian Hamilton looks at who could see the majority of time at the running back position this year for the Irish.
Running Back Position Unsettled (UHND.com) – Want to read more about the running back position battle? The guys at UHND.com have your (running) back.
Yes, that is Coach McGraw’s husband Matt getting down and dirty. Doing whatever is needed to help the team…
Everyone lends a hand in preparing the floor for the game. That’s Matt McGraw on the broom pic.twitter.com/0EKYhPiN4L
— NOTRE DAME WBB (@ndwbb) August 11, 2013
Notre Dame Video of the Day:
As the women’s soccer team begins their play in two days, we look back at last year’s team.
HOLDOVER QUESTION: Some NFL-randomness on a Friday…
Who was the last Notre Dame football player to score a touchdown in the NFL?
You will find the answer in Tuesday’s “Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)” … if the question is answered correctly…
- Softball. Irish Freshmen Rule The Field At Melissa Cook Vs. Michigan St.
- W. Soccer. Spring Opener With Purdue Moved Up To Friday
- Swimming & Diving. Strong Start for No. 19 Notre Dame Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. NCAA Northeast Regional Awaits
- Swimming & Diving. No. 19 Notre Dame Men's Swimming and Diving Set to Compete at NCAA Championships
- W. Soccer. Yu Heads To Camp With U-23 Women's National Team
- Fencing. Keys To The Meet: 2017 NCAA Fencing Championships
- Swimming & Diving. Inside Irish: 2017 NCAA Division I Women's Swimming and Diving Championships
- Baseball. Irish Walk By Huskies
- Softball. Irish Mark Return To Melissa Cook Stadium Vs. MSU
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ Winning With Style! Michigan State goes down as @NDSoftball walks-off in home opener. ND 11 | MSU 3 https://t.co/vgKqj4gWpR 13 hours ago
- ☘ IRISH vs. BUCKEYES Watch #2 @NDlacrosse take on #4 Ohio State at home. Saturday | 2pm TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago
- 💯 Fresh Jerseys ☀️ Bright Sky ☘ It's Game Day! @NDSoftball kicks off its home opener. ND vs. MSU | 4:30pm 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- ⚾️ IRISH WIN HOME OPENER @NDBaseball recorded two 5-run innings in its 12-1 win over Northern Illinois. 📽 Highlig… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ☘ IRISH DOMINATE ACC FENCING Men's & Women's @NDFencing teams combine for 4 of 6 ACC Fencer of the Year awards. und.com/sports/c-fenc/… 1 day ago