Aug 13, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT
After a rather slow Notre Dame news day yesterday, we begin with some quick hits today.
With the introduction of the new line of officially licensed adidas sideline gear for Notre Dame, we have decided to give away a few items through a contest.
The first contest is very simple … make a video. Click here to learn how you can bring home the new adidas gear.
Remember to keep up with A Month of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football … this piece gives you something to either do that is Notre Dame centric or watch a former Irish student-athlete playing in a national/international tournament or league. The women’s basketball team returns from their trip today. Yesterday, current Irish men’s golfers Tyler Wingo and Andrew Lane began their play in the USGA’s United States Amateur Championship. Tyler Wingo is two-over par after his first round of play at Charles River Country Club while Andrew Lane is eight-over entering day two after his round at The Country Club. Wingo will play on The Country Club course while Lane tees off on the Charles River track. You can follow their rounds here.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a large amount of original content going out on the blogosphere in the past week – catch up with the links below.
- Way Back Wednesday – Jake Kline’s Hanna Batrite Bat (Irish UNDerground)
- Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Freshmen Melodies (Strong & True)
- Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Takeaways (Strong & True)
- Not Your Father’s Uniforms (Strong & True)
- Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Team Building (Strong & True)
- Media Musings – Five Things I Am Still Wondering (Strong & True)
- Way Back Wednesday – Moose’s Congressional Photo (Irish UNDerground)
- Knight Plays In The Motherland (In The Paint)
- Abro’s MBA To NBA Journey (In The Paint)
- A Month Of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football (Strong & True)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
Yesterday’s trivia question (Who was the last Notre Dame football player to score a touchdown in the NFL (games that count)?) was simple for all of you … oh wait … no one answered it correctly … again.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have begun to accumulate prizes so we can give them away for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then “shout outs” will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry, I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Notre Dame’s Biggest Wild Card (LINK-South Bend Tribune)
With the loss of first-round NFL draft pick and Mackey Award winner Tyler Eifert, there are big shoes to fill at the tight end position for the Irish. Eric Hansen of the South Bend Tribune dives in to one of this year’s burning questions, “How will we replace Eifert?” Click the link above to read more.
- 2. Football – Lombard’s Flexibility Good For Notre Dame (LINK-Chicago Tribune)
One of most consistent areas in Coach Kelly’s tenure at Notre Dame has been along the offensive front. The flexibility of players to be able to play a variety of positions is key to being a recruitable offensive lineman in Coach Kelly’s scheme. Brian Hamilton explains that an integral part of this season’s running game will be the play of Christian Lombard. To read more click the link above.
- 3. Football – Top-25 Players In Notre Dame Football Countdown Continues (LINK-UHND.com)
UHND.com continues their countdown of the top-25 Notre Dame football players on the 2013 squad. In the 15th-spot they have chosen Amir Carlisle. To read more click the link above.
- 4. Women’s Basketball – #EuroTrip13: Memories to Last a Lifetime (LINK-UND.com)
Monday was a day reserved for memories for the Notre Dame women’s basketball team. As the Fighting Irish travel party fanned out on various sightseeing and entertainment side trips around Madrid before reconvening for a farewell dinner that night, it was all about creating those last few moments with teammates, friends and colleagues that these 40 people will be able to share for days, months and years to come. Click the link above to learn more.
- 5. Women’s Soccer – ACC Poll Released (LINK-UND.com)
Entering its first season in the nation’s premier women’s soccer conference, Notre Dame was selected fifth in the 2013 Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) preseason poll, according to a vote of the league’s 14 head coaches released Monday afternoon. The Fighting Irish, who officially joined the ACC on July 1 following 18 seasons in the BIG EAST Conference, earned 143 points in the balloting (coaches may not vote for their own teams), part of a logjam of teams in the upper half of the poll, highlighted by places 3-6 that were separated by just 21 points. The Fighting Irish return 10 starters and 20 veterans from last season’s team that posted a 16-6-2 record and advanced to the NCAA Championship quarterfinals for the 15th time in program history. Notre Dame also went 8-1-1 in its final BIG EAST campaign, earning a share of the National Division title and reaching the semifinals of the BIG EAST Championship. Click the link above to learn more.
Volleyball Kicks Off Preseason (UND.com) – The Notre Dame volleyball team began their play in preparation for the upcoming 2013 schedule, which includes their first taste of ACC action.
Coach Kelly Talks About Depth (UHND.com) – Coach Kelly held his weekly press conference yesterday and the guys at UHND.com give you all the necessary tidbits from his meeting with the media.
Evidently they don’t eat chicken fingers or ranch overseas…
— Kayla McBride (@kaymac_2123) August 13, 2013
Notre Dame Video of the Day:
Aside from getting Jim Ross from the WWE to sit down for an interview during Oklahoma weekend, I NEED to get on Grant & Max 1080* … I need to cross something off of the bucket list this year…
HOLDOVER QUESTION AGAIN: Some NFL-randomness on a Friday…
Who was the last Notre Dame football player to score a touchdown in the NFL?
You will find the answer in Wednesday’s “Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)” … if the question is answered correctly…
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council
- W. Lacrosse. Five Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
- M. Tennis. Irish Pair Earn All-ACC Academic Recognition
- W. Tennis. Broda, Robinson Named To All-ACC Academic Squad
- M. Ice Hockey. Leivermann And Hellickson Selected In The 2017 NHL Draft
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Videos #4 - From '01 NCAA Champ ➡️ @ndwbb Assoc. Head Coach. Niele Ivey's road to the No… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 hour ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #4-@NDXCTF's Dani Aragon has a unique family bond. They all ran for D1 schools.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 GIFs #4 - How hyped @NDFootball & @Browns QB DeShone Kizer is on game day. 👀@DKizer_14 https://t.co/lRwIh5OQOE 6 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Moments #4 - @NDHockey's Ian Cole & Bryan Rust became back-to-back Stanley Cup Champs with… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 hours ago
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #5 - @NDBaseball’s Trey Mancini homers in his MLB debut for the @Orioles. ⁰READ… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 23 hours ago