Aug 14, 2013, 10:14 AM EDT
We actually have a Notre Dame athletic event to cover today! Notre Dame women’s soccer begins their exhibition season at 1 p.m. (ET) on the soccer practice fields against Xavier. If you are in town, feel free to come out and support the Irish.
With the introduction of the new line of officially licensed adidas sideline gear for Notre Dame, we have decided to give away a few items through a contest. The contest runs through tonight.
The first contest is very simple … make a video. Click here to learn how you can bring home the new adidas gear.
Remember to keep up with A Month of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football … this piece gives you something to either do that is Notre Dame centric or watch a former Irish student-athlete playing in a national/international tournament or league. Today, the women’s soccer team kicks off their exhibition slate vs. Xavier at 1 p.m. (ET). Yesterday, the women’s basketball team returned from their trip from overseas.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a large amount of original content going out on the blogosphere in the past week – catch up with the links below.
- Way Back Wednesday – Jake Kline’s Hanna Batrite Bat (Irish UNDerground)
- Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Freshmen Melodies (Strong & True)
- Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Takeaways (Strong & True)
- Not Your Father’s Uniforms (Strong & True)
- Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Team Building (Strong & True)
- Media Musings – Five Things I Am Still Wondering (Strong & True)
- Way Back Wednesday – Moose’s Congressional Photo (Irish UNDerground)
- Knight Plays In The Motherland (In The Paint)
- Abro’s MBA To NBA Journey (In The Paint)
- A Month Of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football (Strong & True)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
Yesterday’s trivia question (Who was the last Notre Dame football player to score a touchdown in the NFL?) was finally answered correctly! It only took three days for someone to finally answer it right. The correct answer is Golden Tate as he scored in the NFL Playoffs last season. @KevinMLocke was the savior who answered the question correctly.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have begun to accumulate prizes so we can give them away for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then “shout outs” will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry; I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Women’s Soccer – FINALLY! A Season Is Beginning! (LINK-UND.com)
Notre Dame opens its 26th season of varsity competition at 1 p.m. (ET) Wednesday when it plays host to Xavier in the first of two exhibition matches at the Notre Dame Practice Field. It will be just the second time the Fighting Irish and Musketeers have met during the preseason in head coach Randy Waldrum’s 15 seasons as Notre Dame skipper. The Fighting Irish blanked Xavier 5-0 during an exhibition tilt Aug. 17, 2006 at Alumni Stadium.
- 2. Football – Niklas Excited At Opportunity To Replace Mackey Winner (LINK-Chicago Sun-Times)
During fall practice one of the biggest talking points has been the play of tight end Troy Niklas. Niklas, a top-flight recruit a few years back entered Notre Dame as a linebacker and quickly switched to the tight-end position. Lamond Pope of the Chicago Sun-Times profiles Niklas’ upcoming season. Click the link above to read more.
- 3. Football – Phil Steele Predicts Irish Will Go To Sugar Bowl (LINK-ESPN.com)
ESPN.com’s Phil Steele went through and predicted each big-time bowl game for this upcoming season. Steele believes that the Irish football team will be playing in the Sugar Bowl. To read more of Steele’s reasoning and other predictions, click the link above.
- 4. Football – Quarterback Pecking Order (LINK-ESPN.com)
We all know that Tommy Rees will be the starting quarterback for Notre Dame when they run out of the tunnel on August 31st against Temple, but who will back him up? Matt Fortuna takes a look at the depth chart at quarterback. Click the link above to read more.
- 5. Football – Coach Alford Update (LINK-ESPN.com)
As seen from the tweet that Notre Dame football assistant coach Tony Alford sent out recently, he will be back Sunday. Click the link above to read more.
— Coach Tony Alford (@CoachTonyAlford) August 13, 2013
Kelly Praising Rees’ Play (UHND.com) – The guys at UHND.com look at the quarterback of Tommy Rees and how he is developing as a student-athlete.
This has been an interesting morning to say the least…
Notre Dame Video of the Day:
Women’s soccer starts today … review last season with this NBC Sports documentary.
Someone finally answered yesterday’s question correctly, we can now move on to other Notre Dame related questions…
Who is the only Notre Dame quarterback to start 15 games or more and play in 25 games or more and yet never start a season opener?
You will find the answer in Thursday’s “Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)” … if the question is answered correctly…
- W. Rowing. O'Tighearnaigh Named Honorable Mention All-American
- Football. Irish Trio Named To Bednarik,Maxwell Watch Lists
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps
- Swimming & Diving. Litzinger To Coach In Inaugural ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Soccer. Flores Signs Two-Year Deal with Valencia CF
- Fencing. Kvaratskhelia Named USFCA Coach of the Year
- M. Soccer. Irish Men's Soccer Holding School Supply Drive
- Track & Field. Sunday Brunch: Hoosier Hoops Helped Prepare Sparks for Head Coaching Role
- Track & Field. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- We know who we're voting for! 👇 👀 @NDmbb #GoIrish twitter.com/marchmadness/s… 58 minutes ago
- ☘️ @NDFootball's Nic Weishar has been nominated for the Allstate AFCA Good Works Team. Meet Nic and his family as… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 14 hours ago
- Those #NDFamily vibes are strong! 💪 You heard @NDFootball! Vote @ndwbb for Best Play at the @ESPYS! VOTE 👉… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 16 hours ago
- What year did @NDFootball squad travel to Baltimore for its first game against the @NavyFB? #TriviaTuesday #GoIrish 18 hours ago
- On #WorldEmojiDay, tell us about your Irish fandom in emojis! ☘️💚 #GoIrish https://t.co/OZM5gWXex4 22 hours ago