Aug 15, 2013, 10:42 AM EDT
The first actual athletic event at Notre Dame is in the books after yesterday’s women’s soccer exhibition contest against the Musketeers of Xavier.
Our current contest to win adidas sideline gear finished last night. The Fighting Irish Digital Media team will rank the top-five submissions and post them on our social media and blog platforms for everyone to vote on. The fan voting will account for 100% of the final decision. Stay tuned to @NDSportsBlogger on twitter to learn more.
Remember to keep up with A Month of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football … this piece gives you something to either do that is Notre Dame centric or watch a former Irish student-athlete playing in a national/international tournament or league. Be sure to watch the Chargers take on the Bears on Soldier Field at 8 p.m. (ET) on ESPN. Depending on their health, we may get a chance to see Manti Te’o take the field on as his San Diego Chargers square off with Armando Allen, Tom Zbikowski and the rest of the Chicago Bears. Yesterday, the women’s soccer team kicked off their exhibition slate with a 5-1 victory over Xavier.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a large amount of original content going out on the blogosphere in the past week – catch up with the links below.
- Way Back Wednesday – Jake Kline’s Hanna Batrite Bat (Irish UNDerground)
- Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Freshmen Melodies (Strong & True)
- Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Takeaways (Strong & True)
- Not Your Father’s Uniforms (Strong & True)
- Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Team Building (Strong & True)
- Media Musings – Five Things I Am Still Wondering (Strong & True)
- Way Back Wednesday – Moose’s Congressional Photo (Irish UNDerground)
- Knight Plays In The Motherland (In The Paint)
- Abro’s MBA To NBA Journey (In The Paint)
- A Month Of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football (Strong & True)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
Yesterday’s trivia question (Who is the only Notre Dame quarterback to start 15 games or more and play in 25 games or more and yet never start a season opener?) was quickly answered correctly by Ross Goetz (@RossGoetz). Believe it or not, the answer is Tommy Rees. Rees has played in 30 games, starting 18. Additionally, Rees is 14-4 as a starter in his time with the Irish.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have begun to accumulate prizes so we can give them away for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then “shout outs” will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry; I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Women’s Soccer – A Great Start To The Season (LINK-UND.com)
On the day it officially sported the colors of the Atlantic Coast Conference for the first time, it seemed appropriate No. 10 Notre Dame would kick off against a team from its former home, the BIG EAST Conference. It also was fitting that the Fighting Irish treated new BIG EAST member Xavier much like it treated every other BIG EAST opponent during its 18-year tenure in that conference — rudely. Sophomore forward Anna Maria Gilbertson (Davis, Calif./Davis) scored twice, junior forward Lauren Bohaboy (Mission Viejo, Calif./Santa Margarita) had a goal and an assist, and junior forward Karin Simonian (Westbury, N.Y./W.T. Clarke) dished out a pair of assists as Notre Dame blew past the Musketeers, 5-1, on a sun-splashed Wednesday afternoon before approximately 200 fans at the Notre Dame Practice Field. Click the link above to read more.
- 2. Men’s Soccer – Irish Begin Fall Practice (LINK-UND.com)
When the University of Notre Dame men’s soccer team is setting its sights on a deep NCAA Championship run in November and December the first day of practice will seem like another lifetime, but that was the day the foundation officially was laid. Wednesday was that day. The Fighting Irish, who are ranked seventh in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) preseason poll, took to the practice pitch for the first time this morning under bright blue skies and unseasonably cool temperatures. It may have seemed like a fairly routine training session directed by head coach Bobby Clark and his staff, but the opening of fall camp always is an exciting time to see how the players have matured over the summer. Click the link above to read more.
- 3. Fencing – Meinhardt Is Silver At World’s (LINK-UND.com)
University of Notre Dame men’s fencer Gerek Meinhardt posted the best finish of all Irish fencers competing by claiming a silver medal with the United States Men’s Foil Team Monday on the final day of the Senior World Championships in Budapest, Hungary. The U.S. lineup of Meinhardt, Alexander Massialas, Race Imboden and Miles Chamley-Watson became the country’s first men’s foil squad to medal at the Senior World Championships, and will end the competitive year as the top-ranked foil quartet in the world.
- 4. Men’s Soccer – Sports Illustrated Names Dillon Powers Breakout Star (LINK-CNNSI.com)
After being named the Sports Illustrated breakout performer in the current magazine, former Notre Dame men’s soccer star Dillon Powers sat down with SI to talk about almost everything. Included in this great piece is video from when Powers was young, which is a must watch. To read more and watch all the embedded videos, click the link above.
- 5. Football – Tommy Checks In At 14 (LINK-UHND.com)
In the on-going series profiling Notre Dame football players, the guys at UHND.com have now reached the 14th position. Checking in at 14 is senior quarterback Tommy Rees. To read the entire profile on Rees, click the link above.
Kelly Likes What He Sees In Martin (WNDU.com) – Coach Kelly talks about the play of center Nick Martin.
Kelly Gives Props To Day (Chicago Sun-Times) – Coach Kelly continues to revere the play of Sheldon Day, potentially adding even more depth along the defensive line.
Listening to radio sports talk this morning an on & on about how we should be paying our college athletes..we do, it’s called a scholarship!
— Randy Waldrum (@NDCoachWaldrum) August 15, 2013
Preach it Coach…
Notre Dame Video of the Day:
From watching this video you would have never guessed he would go to Notre Dame and be a first-round pick in the MLS SuperDraft in 2013. I give you a Dillon Powers video from when he was younger.
Yesterday’s question was evidently too easy…
Tom Knight is from a small town in Maine called Dixfield. Why is Dixfield unique from other cities around the country?
You will find the answer in Friday’s “Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)” … if the question is answered correctly…
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council
- W. Lacrosse. Five Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
- M. Tennis. Irish Pair Earn All-ACC Academic Recognition
- W. Tennis. Broda, Robinson Named To All-ACC Academic Squad
- M. Ice Hockey. Leivermann And Hellickson Selected In The 2017 NHL Draft
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 GIFs #4 - How hyped @NDFootball & @Browns QB DeShone Kizer is on game day. 👀@DKizer_14 https://t.co/lRwIh5OQOE 1 hour ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Moments #4 - @NDHockey's Ian Cole & Bryan Rust became back-to-back Stanley Cup Champs with… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #5 - @NDBaseball’s Trey Mancini homers in his MLB debut for the @Orioles. ⁰READ… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 18 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Moments #5 - @ndwbb coach Muffet McGraw named to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- 🇺🇸FOR THE RED, WHITE & BLUE TWO @NDMenSoccer alums to play for US Men's National Team in 2017 Gold Cup. 👀@ussoccer und.com/sports/m-socce… 20 hours ago