Aug 16, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
We are about a week away from students arriving back on campus here at Notre Dame. When this happens, you can pretty much guarantee that athletic events at the University will start to ramp up, specifically men’s and women’s soccer, football and volleyball. If you are around campus tomorrow, come over to the soccer practice fields to see the women’s soccer squad take on assistant coach Dawn Greathouse’s alma mater, Baylor.
#Vine4NDGear Finalists Announced
The finalists for our #Vine4NDGear contest are now up and ready for everyone to vote on. The fan vote is all the matters in the decision. Voting ends next Thursday. Click here to vote for your favorite finalist.
Remember to keep up with A Month of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football … this piece gives you something to either do that is Notre Dame centric or watch a former Irish student-athlete playing in a national/international tournament or league. Today, you should tune in to FOX at 8 p.m. (ET) to watch Derek Landri suit up for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as they travel to New England to take on the Patriots. Last night we told you to watch the Chargers take on the Bears on ESPN. The health of two former players, Manti Te’o and Armando Allen did not allow the pair to play. However, Tom Zbikowski made three tackles for the Bears in the contest.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a large amount of original content going out on the blogosphere in the past week – catch up with the links below.
- Barnard’s First Summer Stop: St. Lucia (Irish UNDerground)
- Shawhan Spans The Globe: Part Three
- Way Back Wednesday – Jake Kline’s Hanna Batrite Bat (Irish UNDerground)
- Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Freshmen Melodies (Strong & True)
- Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Takeaways (Strong & True)
- Not Your Father’s Uniforms (Strong & True)
- Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Team Building (Strong & True)
- Media Musings – Five Things I Am Still Wondering (Strong & True)
- Way Back Wednesday – Moose’s Congressional Photo (Irish UNDerground)
- Knight Plays In The Motherland (In The Paint)
- Abro’s MBA To NBA Journey (In The Paint)
- A Month Of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football (Strong & True)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
Yesterday’s trivia question (Tom Knight is from a small town in Maine called Dixfield. Why is Dixfield unique from other cities around the country?) was answered correctly by a pair of followers. Yet only one can be the first with the correct answer and that distinction goes to Joe Reimers (@reimero). His answer was one for the ages as you will see below.
@NDSportsBlogger Like Tigger, it’s the only one.
— Joe Reimers (@reimero) August 15, 2013
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have begun to accumulate prizes so we can give them away for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then “shout outs” will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry; I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Women’s Soccer – Pitch Points: A New Feature (LINK-UND.com)
Around this time of year, when one of thinks of pests, he or she is likely envisioning mosquitoes or some other bothersome flying insect. However, when it comes to the soccer pitch, Notre Dame junior forward Karin Simonian is the kind of pest everyone loves to see, including her coaches and teammates. Simonian buzzed over, around and through the Xavier defense on Wednesday, tying for match-high honors with six shots and handing out two assists in Notre Dame’s 5-1 exhibition win over the Musketeers at the Notre Dame Practice Field. When she wasn’t shooting or creating scoring chances for her teammates, Simonian was constantly harassing XU defenders and causing numerous turnovers, making the afternoon anything but pleasant for the visitors from Cincinnati. To read more click the link above.
- 2. Men’s Soccer – Sports Illustrated Names Dillon Powers Breakout Star (LINK-CNNSI.com)
After being named the Sports Illustrated breakout performer in the current magazine, former Notre Dame men’s soccer star Dillon Powers sat down with SI to talk about almost everything. Included in this great piece is video from when Powers was young, which is a must watch. To read more and watch all the embedded videos, click the link above.
- 3. Volleyball – Freshman Pair Finding Role (LINK-UND.com)
While most University of Notre Dame incoming freshmen are soaking up the last of summer’s rays as they wait for move-in day in another week, Simmone Collins and Katie Higgins of the Irish volleyball team are fully entrenched in the 2013 preseason, which has seen them participate in six practices in the five days since camp opened Saturday. While the first camp as a freshman Notre Dame student-athlete can usually be tough and maybe even a little awkward, the pair has jumped right in and developed a comfort level not only with teammates and coaches, but also with how practice works at an elite Division I volleyball program. Click the link above to learn more.
- 4. Football – Russell Not Taking Anything For Granted (LINK-Chicag Sun-Times)
As a freshman, KeiVarae Russell was thrust into the spotlight after he was named a starting defensive back after a rash of injuries in the Irish secondary. His play was a big reason for the success of the Notre Dame defense last season en route to a BCS Championship Game appearance last January. Russell isn’t taking his position as a starter for granted, and as LaMond Pope of the Chicago Sun-Times points out in his article linked above, “That hasn’t changed the way the sophomore has approached camp.” Click the link above to read the entire story.
- 5. Men’s Basketball – Big Ten/ACC Matchup Set (LINK-UND.com)
Notre Dame’s matchup with the Iowa in the 15th annual Big Ten/ACC Challenge presented by DICK’s Sporting Goods that is set to take place on Tuesday, Dec. 3 in Iowa City, Iowa will be televised by ESPN2 at 9:15 p.m. (ET). The Irish, who are set to begin play in the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2013-14, will be making their first-ever appearance in the event. Click the link above to learn more.
Receiving Corps Looks To Make Waves (Chicago Tribune) – Led by T.J. Jones and DaVaris Daniels, the Notre Dame receivers are looking to make a splash on the national level with their play this year.
— Brian Smith (@BCSmith58) August 16, 2013
Boy has he changed since college…
Notre Dame Video of the Day:
I found this hilarious even though it was Michigan State doing the video. I tie this to Notre Dame as it is an opponent this season.
Evidently all of you are big fans of Dixfield, Maine or you know how to use google, nonetheless…
What current Notre Dame athlete played athletics at the same school as the number-two pick overall in the 2013 NBA Draft?
You will find the answer in Monday’s “Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)” … if the question is answered correctly…
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Remain In The Hunt At OSU Fall Invite
- M. Ice Hockey. Morrison Tallies Overtime Winner As #4 Irish Down RPI 1-0
- Football. #8 Irish Hold Off Midshipmen, 24-17
- W. Soccer. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Face Baylor
- M. Ice Hockey. 2019 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic Set For Notre Dame Stadium
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Begin NCAA Journey Sunday Against #20 Wisconsin
- W. Soccer. Irish Use Penalty Kicks to Eliminate No. 2-Seeded Aggies
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Off To Strong Start In Columbus
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Decimates Tar Heels In Straight-Set Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Down RPI 4-1 For Sixth Straight Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 8️⃣ @NDFootball took down Navy in the final home game of the 2017 season at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish https://t.co/QQUR9IWSog 6 hours ago
- Celebrating Senior Day the best way we know how, on the field with our friends and family. #GoIrish https://t.co/ItoEJgeRWd 7 hours ago
- That’ll do it from Notre Dame Stadium, where @NDFootball defeats Navy, 24-17! Next up, Stanford. #GoIrish https://t.co/9ytOGrfW8p 9 hours ago
- Proud to stand with our friends from the Naval Academy during their alma mater. Thank you, always, for your servic… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Gold always looks best in the fourth quarter. #GoIrish https://t.co/vbQmCNfrOF 9 hours ago