Aug 19, 2013, 8:47 AM EDT
We are down to the final bye week of the off-season before the pads are strapped on and the Irish welcome Temple to Notre Dame Stadium on August 31st.
#Vine4NDGear Finalists Announced
The finalists for our #Vine4NDGear contest have been chosen and voting is open until 11:59 p.m. on Thursday night. The fan vote is all the matters in the decision. Voting ends next Thursday. Click here to vote for your favorite finalist.
Remember to keep up with A Month of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football … this piece gives you something to either do that is Notre Dame centric or watch a former Irish student-athlete playing in a national/international tournament or league. Today, you should tune to ESPN at 8 p.m. (ET) to watch Mike Golic Jr. battle in the trenches for the Steelers as Pittsburgh travels to Washington D.C. to take on the Redskins.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a large amount of original content going out on the blogosphere recently – catch up with the links below.
- Barnard’s First Summer Stop: St. Lucia (Irish UNDerground)
- Shawhan Spans The Globe: Part Three
- Way Back Wednesday – Jake Kline’s Hanna Batrite Bat (Irish UNDerground)
- Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Freshmen Melodies (Strong & True)
- Kory’s Off-Campus Practice Thoughts – Takeaways (Strong & True)
- Not Your Father’s Uniforms (Strong & True)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
Friday’s trivia question (What current Notre Dame athlete played athletics at the same school as the number-two pick overall in the 2013 NBA Draft?) was quickly answered. Victor Oladipo, the second pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, was a high school teammate at DeMatha High School with Jerian Grant.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have begun to accumulate prizes so we can give them away for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then “shout outs” will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry; I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Men’s Soccer – #AskBobby Goes Off Without (Much Of) A Hitch (LINK-Irish United)
Notre Dame men’s soccer head coach Bobby Clark gave the twitter world the opportunity to ask him any question they wanted through the #AskBobby hashtag. Let’s just say, things quickly went off the tracks. Click on the link above to start the week off with a bang.
- 2. Football – Rees Starts Again At Notre Dame (LINK-SportingNews.com)
Tommy Rees is one of the more experienced quarterbacks in the nation, he has played in 30 games, starting 18 and carries a 14-4 record when starting a game. During the preseason practices, Rees has received rave reviews for his stronger arm, quicker feet and penchant to know when to hit the check-down receiver. To read more click the link above.
- 3. Football – Tuitt On A Mission (LINK-Chicago Tribune)
After overcoming a nagging injury during spring ball, defensive lineman Stephon Tuitt worked throughout the summer to get his abilities back that he had last year when he came within 1.5 sacks of the Notre Dame record for sacks in a season. Click the above link to read Brian Hamilton’s take on Tuitt.
- 4. Women’s Soccer – Pitch Points: Baylor Edition (LINK-UND.com)
It seems like such a simple concept — hold on to the ball and you control the game. Yet, it’s not always that easy, especially in sports such as soccer. That’s why Notre Dame head coach Randy Waldrum had reason to be pleased after watching the film of his 10th-ranked Fighting Irish defeated No. 13 Baylor, 2-0 in an exhibition match Saturday afternoon at the Notre Dame Practice Field. Click the link above to learn more.
- 5. Football – Wolken Across America: Notre Dame (LINK-USA Today)
Sports college football reporter Dan Wolken loaded up his car and hit the road, checking in with over a dozen college football programs over a two-week span. Last week he stopped in at Notre Dame and sat down with Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick. Click the link above to read about the interview with Swarbrick.
#7 Fighting Irish Fall At #6 Creighton, 1-0, In Exhibition Opener (UND.com) – The Notre Dame men’s soccer team opened up their season on Saturday, click the link to see how they did.
Brindock and McHugh Nominated For Senior Class Award (UND.com) – Two volleyball stars were recently nominated for the Senior Class Award. Read why they deserve this great honor by clicking the link.
Spond’s Career At A Crossroads (USA Today) – Notre Dame linebacker Danny Spond ended his football career last week after repeated medical issues. He will still be a part of the football squad, he just won’t see any action on the field.
These are just some of the gems you will get if you read the #AskBobby story linked above…
— Grant VDC (@bigcountryND) August 16, 2013
— Grant VDC (@bigcountryND) August 16, 2013
— Aaron Horvath (@NDSportsBlogger) August 16, 2013
Notre Dame Video of the Day:
We will continue on the Coach Bobby Clark bandwagon and show this great O.S.C.A.R.S. video from the men’s soccer team from a few years back.
This is a user-submitted question. Big thanks to the Holland Sentinel’s Michael Appelgate (@Mappelgate206)…
The Seattle Seahawks first became an NFL franchise in 1976. Who was their first NFL draft pick, the second overall pick.
You will find the answer in Tuesday’s “Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)” … if the question is answered correctly…
- W. Soccer. Irish Complete Sweep Through Florida With 2-1 Win Over Miami
- Football. Irish Bring Home Shillelagh in Emphatic 49-14 Win
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Advances At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- Football. Championship Road Runs Through South Bend
- W. Rowing. Club Four Finishes Eighth At Head Of The Charles
- W. Soccer. Irish Continue Road Swing at Miami
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish, #15 Duke Battle To Scoreless Draw
- M. Ice Hockey. #5/6 Irish Rebound With 3-1 Victory Over Sacred Heart
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon's 24 Kills Powers Irish Past Florida State
- M. Tennis. Howells, Lebedev Into Doubles Quarterfinal At ITA Midwest Regionals
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 1️⃣3️⃣ @NDFootball's win vs. USC is the largest win against a top-20 team since 1992. #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-footb… 38 minutes ago
- Junior @NDMensTennis player Alex Lebedev advanced at the ITA Midwest Regional Championships. #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-tenni… 2 hours ago
- The Irish look for their third win in the last four matches as @NDSoccer takes on Miami. #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-socce… 3 hours ago
- The Shillelagh is home and @NDFootball alum @thejaylonsmith knows it. #GoIrish https://t.co/88eO6JwLXd 4 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: We're just getting started. #GoIrish https://t.co/5DSBB4LB8w 5 hours ago